Chevy SS Forum banner

Battery Replacement/Upgrade ?

1961 Views 24 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  whiteboyslo
Guys,

Still using the original battery on my 2015 SS and was curious if I should upgrade the battery and to what and any particular brands? Thought I read somewhere that new batteries for our cars has to be fully charged before installing and hopefully the source that sells them does that.

Thanks,
Wig
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
I replaced mine with another Delco unit. I charged it at home, installed it, then returned my old battery. So far so good, fit perfectly, works great.
Guys,

Still using the original battery on my 2015 SS and was curious if I should upgrade the battery and to what and any particular brands? Thought I read somewhere that new batteries for our cars has to be fully charged before installing and hopefully the source that sells them does that.

Thanks,
Wig
That’s quite amazing because my ‘17 battery certainly didn’t last that long. Granted, I’ve always driven with my full headlights on so that may have taxted it more. 😐
This is a recurring topic, and I admire those who have gotten long use from the OEM battery. I have a 2015, and the original battery made it through the first 3 years. Replacement with a similar battery was less successful. My problem is that I was not driving the car enough. Compared to other cars in the family fleet, the SS has a higher than average key-off load. It is not only attributable to the always on door locks, as other cars such as my wife's 2013 Jeep Cherokee SRT8 has the same setup, is driven the same once per week, and its battery lasted 11 years. I could keep the SS on a battery charger, but the car lives outside and its a PITA. Having the same difficulty with my 2016 Porsche GT3 RS, which is driven even less frequently, I discovered the AntiGravity battery company on a Porsche forum.

This is a LiFePO4 chemistry battery, initially marketed for its considerably lighter weight. The advantages of this chemistry are that it has negligible self-discharge, and containing no lead or sulfuric acid, does not sulfate when left at reduced charge level. This combination is what was limiting battery life in my SS with the standard AGM chemistry. The LiFePO4 chemistry is very compatible with the GM battery charging voltage level controls. And now going on two years this change in battery chemistry has completely solved my problem (on both cars). Weekly use has kept the SS battery at 100% charge. AntiGravity also sells a battery monitor that links to a smart phone via Bluetooth that displays state of charge, and warns if charge gets too low. The AntiGravity battery also has an internal control that disconnects the battery if charge reaches a minimum level, and has a feature that retains sufficient energy for "one more" start using a fob. All of this is good, because Li-Ion batteries that are over-discharged become bricks.

The downside is that these batteries are far from inexpensive at $950 list for the H6 60 Ah storage capacity, although there is typically a 15% off sale a couple of times a year and smaller Ah capacity is available. One final advantage, which I suppose reveals something about me: It always bothered me that Holden positioned the battery on the opposite side of the car from the driver for Australia, but didn't swap sides for the US version; i.e., both the heavy battery and my also-heavy
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Electronic instrument
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Electronic instrument
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

ass were on the same side of the car. The AntiGravity battery weighs much less than the OEM AGM battery, so it's almost like it is on the other side.
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 4
Guys,

Thanks,
Wig
I'm not exactly sure what an "upgrade" from the original 48AGM Professional would be. So I just bought one of those from Rockauto last year.
This is a recurring topic, and I admire those who have gotten long use from the OEM battery. I have a 2015, and the original battery made it through the first 3 years. Replacement with a similar battery was less successful. My problem is that I was not driving the car enough. Compared to other cars in the family fleet, the SS has a higher than average key-off load. It is not only attributable to the always on door locks, as other cars such as my wife's 2013 Jeep Cherokee SRT8 has the same setup, is driven the same once per week, and its battery lasted 11 years. I could keep the SS on a battery charger, but the car lives outside and its a PITA. Having the same difficulty with my 2016 Porsche GT3 RS, which is driven even less frequently, I discovered the AntiGravity battery company on a Porsche forum.

This is a LiFePO4 chemistry battery, initially marketed for its considerably lighter weight. The advantages of this chemistry are that it has negligible self-discharge, and containing no lead or sulfuric acid, does not sulfate when left at reduced charge level. This combination is what was limiting battery life in my SS with the standard AGM chemistry. The LiFePO4 chemistry is very compatible with the GM battery charging voltage level controls. And now going on two years this change in battery chemistry has completely solved my problem (on both cars). Weekly use has kept the SS battery at 100% charge. AntiGravity also sells a battery monitor that links to a smart phone via Bluetooth that displays state of charge, and warns if charge gets too low. The AntiGravity battery also has an internal control that disconnects the battery if charge reaches a minimum level, and has a feature that retains sufficient energy for "one more" start using a fob. All of this is good, because Li-Ion batteries that are over-discharged become bricks.

The downside is that these batteries are far from inexpensive at $950 list for the H6 60 Ah storage capacity, although there is typically a 15% off sale a couple of times a year and smaller Ah capacity is available. One final advantage, which I suppose reveals something about me: It always bothered me that Holden positioned the battery on the opposite side of the car from the driver for Australia, but didn't swap sides for the US version; i.e., both the heavy battery and my also-heavy View attachment 304196 View attachment 304197 View attachment 304196 View attachment 304197
ass were on the same side of the car. The AntiGravity battery weighs much less than the OEM AGM battery, so it's almost like it is on the other side.
I almost ordered one of these, but then I held off because I wasn’t sure how it may hold up. Now that you’ve become the forum ‘guinea pig’ I may reconsider. However, I did look at some of the customer reviews, and there a couple that had issues, and the warranty was not honored. 🤷‍♂️

My OEM battery died at three years, and the replacement is already giving me that slight delay again. I believe it’s because I run full headlights vs. Day Time Running lights. I do this for obvious reasons to be more visible to people that may be otherwise distracted, especially at intersections when drivers’ are turning left in front of me. Say, what’s with the Crutchfield module in the battery compartment? 🧐
Guys,

Thanks,
Wig
Another upgrade to consider is simply moving up from an H6 or group 48 to an H7 or group 94r battery. Our battery trays accommodate the slightly larger size with an additional mount point, and the 94r will give you more CCA, longer reserve capacity, and higher amp hours.

Dimensional differences are 11.9 x 7.5 x 7.6 inches for the H6 vs 12.4 x 6.9 x 7.5 for the H7.

Gadget Font Musical instrument accessory Electronic device Rectangle

Font Rectangle Electronic device Gadget Machine
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 5
I was just thinking the other day that both my '17 SS and my wife's '17 cruze hatch are on their original batteries. Neither car is known for especially long battery life, much less 6 years, so I assume one of them is on its last leg but both are doing fine.
I almost ordered one of these, but then I held off because I wasn’t sure how it may hold up. Now that you’ve become the forum ‘guinea pig’ I may reconsider. However, I did look at some of the customer reviews, and there a couple that had issues, and the warranty was not honored. 🤷‍♂️

My OEM battery died at three years, and the replacement is already giving me that slight delay again. I believe it’s because I run full headlights vs. Day Time Running lights. I do this for obvious reasons to be more visible to people that may be otherwise distracted, especially at intersections when drivers’ are turning left in front of me. Say, what’s with the Crutchfield module in the battery compartment? 🧐
I installed an amplifier and sub-woofer speakers, plus a synthesizer to expand the OEM lower frequency signal to lower frequencies. That Crutchfield module is the fuse block for the high current feed to the amplifier. I installed two 6.5" speakers in the deck where the factory rear speakers are installed. These do not provide a deep, high amplitude output given the small diameter and the fact that the entire trunk is the baffle volume, but there is now discernable bass output. Also the panel below the rear window could be a bit stiffer, even though I have put sound absorbent mat on both sides of the shelf.

I was aware of some AntiGravity battery complaints, and discussed them with the company (which is located a 25 minute drive from my home). This is clearly a small, start up company where a majority of its business is smaller motorcycle and 4 wheeler applications. The Porsche end of their business is complicated by charging voltage logic that differs among models, and which cause this battery to throw error codes on some vehicles which the battery can't fix. I was already familiar with the chemistry, they answered my questions in a way that conveyed understanding of the problems, and so far I am very happy with the performance. I don't even have to think about the batteries in my SS and Porsche, a big improvement from before. The company forecasts 5-6 year battery life, but we will see. The company doesn't actually know this, as the H6-H7-H8 battery sizes have only been in use for 3 years or so. They are extrapolating off the small batteries, where charging systems are less refined.
See less See more
  • Helpful
I just noticed that there's different versions of the ACDelco AGM batteries in the Group 48 / H6 size; a regular maintenance free version, and a high reserve capacity maintenance free version. Rockauto has somewhat conflicting info about the extra reserve capacity, 140 listed vs. 130 on the labels (compared to 120 for the regular version). There's only about $10 difference between them too. SIze is virtually identical to the regular version, and the weight penalty is only about a half pound vs. a full 5 pounds if you step up to the Group 94r / H7 sizing.

I shopped same spec battery as the original. Given the longevity of the original, mine lasted 6 years without issues. When the gremlins started popping up, most notable was, backup camera staying on all the way to work. The battery was first step troubleshooting and fixed it. Has not occurred since. At the time all the deals for AcDelco dryed up, so I we with a Die Hard from local Napa Parts.
I just noticed that there's different versions of the ACDelco AGM batteries in the Group 48 / H6 size; a regular maintenance free version, and a high reserve capacity maintenance free version. Rockauto has somewhat conflicting info about the extra reserve capacity, 140 listed vs. 130 on the labels (compared to 120 for the regular version). There's only about $10 difference between them too. SIze is virtually identical to the regular version, and the weight penalty is only about a half pound vs. a full 5 pounds if you step up to the Group 94r / H7 sizing.

Here in the middle west it's all about those CCA's. Not a worry for my SS, so I don't know what I'll do once my, umm, nope, not gonna do it...
Since 74 Daddy-O...!

Reactions: 2
I've seen several posts with you guys and how long has your factory battery last discussions. It cracks me up.

If you want to stay with the factory one. Best bet currently is Walmart, currently $149.

Musical instrument Compact cassette Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Font

I myself would rather go with the Walmart brand Everstart H7 AGM for $169 you get an extra year of warranty.
See less See more
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
Guys,

Thank you all for your responses! Will look into an H7 94R upgraded battery and possibly a charger to have on hand just in case my battery starts showing signs of failure... Would Rock Auto or a local chain store be the best place to purchase battery and charger?

Thanks,
Wig
Anywhere, make sure it has AGM charging. I maintain mine with one from Autozone, it
wasn't exactly cheap.

Guys,

Thank you all for your responses! Will look into an H7 94R upgraded battery and possibly a charger to have on hand just in case my battery starts showing signs of failure... Would Rock Auto or a local chain store be the best place to purchase battery and charger?

Thanks,
Wig
wow Walmart is cheap for oem, summit was cheapest a few years ago, looks like heavily discounted at Walmart now.
Guys,

Thanks,
Wig
With regard to buying a battery from them online, I will refer you to a previous post I made on the subject:

Rockauto is actually a collection of numerous vendors, so your actual experience may vary greatly depending on which one fills your order. I routinely buy all kinds of parts from RA, but a battery just isn't one of them (anymore). I would not hesitate to buy the charger online though.
I went with the Optima yellow top post when I replaced the OEM in my 2016 about a year ago. Works great, no issues. Can’t say I notice a difference and it was more expensive, but I’ve always been happy with Optima batteries in my other vehicles because they have lasted longer than OEM which offsets the extra cost upfront. At least that’s been my experience.
Best advice if your SS is not a daily, keep the battery (whichever one you choose) on a proper maintainer as much as possible. My 2015 era OE battery (in my early production 2016 SS) is still going strong, in Colorado no less. It does hibernate in the winter and is not a daily driver, so that certainly is a big factor.

If you go AGM, you need a maintainer that is spec’d for AGM batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reactions: 3
1 - 20 of 25 Posts