Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Banned
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One case at a GM dealership recently illustrated the importance of proper battery maintenance and using GM-approved battery chargers or booster packs.

Using GM-Approved Battery Chargers and Booster Packs

Several vehicles returned to the dealership with both low-beam headlamps burned out. The cars had low mileage, but had been recently jump started after being in dealership inventory for several months. It was found that the non-approved booster pack used to jump start the cars was exceeding 20 volts at the headlamps, which caused the bulbs to be stressed during the jump start. Typically, the bulbs failed a few drive cycles later.

The use of non-approved battery chargers and boosters can also damage control modules and other electrical components. This damage is not covered by the new vehicle warranty. Warranty claims for component damage caused by non-approved equipment at the dealership may be debited.

TIP: The battery charger has to allow for an AGM selection when charging an Absorbent Glass Mat battery; otherwise, there is a risk of damaging the AGM battery.

:kboom:

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Noted, And that was why I added the Maintainer, it's permanently mounted, and only takes a second to pop the hood and plug in.

I just hope the info I received from the manufacture is correct.

good info for all, stay on top of your battery levels.

· Registered
1,677 Posts
Good info CB Thanks.

· Registered
483 Posts
There must be 1000's of chargers/jumpers/maintainers out there they can't possible test them all. I have 4-5 and none of them are on the list. So i would say just because your machine isn't on the list doesn't mean you can't use it just to be aware the potential risks.

· Premium Member
700 Posts
There must be 1000's of chargers/jumpers/maintainers out there they can't possible test them all. I have 4-5 and none of them are on the list. So i would say just because your machine isn't on the list doesn't mean you can't use it just to be aware the potential risks.
The ones shown are those available to dealers through GM Solutions and the article/notice is for dealer/tech use. As long as you have a charger/jumper with AGM compatibility you will be good.

· Banned
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ones shown are those available to dealers through GM Solutions and the article/notice is for dealer/tech use. As long as you have a charger/jumper with AGM compatibility you will be good.
Reread the red of post #1.

"AGM compatible" and booster packs have nothing to do with each other.

"AGM compatible" is for chargers only.

· Registered
1,358 Posts
Possible derail here, but my question is 1st cousin to thread title:

My car sits garaged for week or two at a time, to keep battery from needing jump I have recently gotten a trickle charger/maintainer and my questions are:
1) does it matter if I put the car in "TRANSPORT" mode each time while using the battery maintainer?

2) I would like to use the quick-connect ends which came with my CTEK unit that bolt to battery connections in the trunk, anyone know of any safety/reliability concerns with this approach?

thanks in advance for the info. Never owned a car this complicated. On my daily driver, I just insert the crank handle at bottom of radiator and give a hard rotation. LOL

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I can't speak on the issue of the Transport mode,
But as far as the Maintainer I mounted mine under the hood, I don't see why you couldn't connect your leads at that location? I chose not to mount in the trunk due to the light staying on.

The Maintainer charges at a rate enough to overcome any of the cars standing electronics, so it charges and clicks off. I usually plug it in once a week. My car is daily driven though.

Not exactly what you asked, But hope it helps.

Attachments

· Registered
1,677 Posts
I can't speak on the issue of the Transport mode,
But as far as the Maintainer I mounted mine under the hood, I don't see why you couldn't connect your leads at that location? I chose not to mount in the trunk due to the light staying on.

The Maintainer charges at a rate enough to overcome any of the cars standing electronics, so it charges and clicks off. I usually plug it in once a week. My car is daily driven though.

Not exactly what you asked, But hope it helps.
Do you attach the negative cable too? If so, where does it attach to?

· Registered
727 Posts
I believe the negative terminal under the hood is just outside of that picture. It would be to the bottom left of the picture and looks like a metal bar sticking out from the fender.

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Here is a couple of pictures, cover on and cover off. There is a large ground terminal right next to the positive one. You can see it in the pictures.
I'm sure there are other solutions, this was just mine.
I am going to cover the wire with some shielding, as of now I just zip tied it.

Attachments

Reactions: KenzSS

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I believe the negative terminal under the hood is just outside of that picture. It would be to the bottom left of the picture and looks like a metal bar sticking out from the fender.

I believe your right about the "Ground Bar" location, But if I ever needed to jump start it, I would have a hard time scuffing the paint off of that location. I was able to find a large ground strap near the positive to attach to.
So far it's worked well.
Also I'm not saying this is an approved by Chevrolet charger, But the manufacture assured me it would not damage the car or the battery. And I've topped off the battery a couple of times so far.

Reactions: ThaBeast

· Registered
1,677 Posts
Thanks guys.

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Just FYI, the trunk light will go off after a few minutes. :wink

I've heard 10 min, But I've also seen the "replacing my trunk light bulb" thread.
:grin
Honestly, I couldn't get the Charger to fit in the battery location so I changed plans.

Reactions: KenzSS

· Banned
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Possible derail here, but my question is 1st cousin to thread title:

My car sits garaged for week or two at a time, to keep battery from needing jump I have recently gotten a trickle charger/maintainer and my questions are:
1) does it matter if I put the car in "TRANSPORT" mode each time while using the battery maintainer?

no

2) I would like to use the quick-connect ends which came with my CTEK unit that bolt to battery connections in the trunk, anyone know of any safety/reliability concerns with this approach?

no, if properly mounted.

thanks in advance for the info. Never owned a car this complicated. On my daily driver, I just insert the crank handle at bottom of radiator and give a hard rotation. LOL
:angel

· Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks CB for the informed response.
Now, where did I put those vise-grips.:devil

Reactions: 2074
1 - 20 of 36 Posts