Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What/how do you avoid water spots?

I have hard water at my house and always have had a hard time keeping the car wet until it is completely washed. I gave up when I bought the truck and have been going to car washes but the SS deserves better.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Just washing it in the shade should always give you enough time to dry before spots form. If you don't have shade then plan on waking up early or skipping dinner to do the wash when you have just enough light to see what you're doing, but not enough sunlight that spots form fast.

That's really the only way to avoid it unless you install a water purifier system for car washing.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't have to deal with hard water, but washing in the shade when possible and drying with a bath towel and changing it once it gets too wet to completely dry the surface works for me.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Wish they would bring back the "Mr. Clean Auto Dry". Worked great with our hard water. Some stuff for this system is still available on the net but is way expensive now.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Good soap will help.

Reactions: SS_Frank

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
x2 on soap, don't use Dawn or other dish wash soap as it has drying agents.

I've used el-cheapo Turtle Wax car wash soap for last 35 years, never had an issue. I dry with synthetic chamois and use detail spray, I like Mother's but any brand will work. I do paint first and then go back and do glass with clean chamois and follow with Invisible Glass and microfiber to remove any spots. I find spots on glass easier to remove.

Have and still use Mr Clean on the big bus, works great for large surfaces. Bought a close out on filters a few years back, down to one filter left now.... sigh

·
Super Moderator
7,498 Posts
Wish they would bring back the "Mr. Clean Auto Dry". Worked great with our hard water. Some stuff for this system is still available on the net but is way expensive now.
Have and still use Mr Clean on the big bus, works great for large surfaces. Bought a close out on filters a few years back, down to one filter left now.... sigh
I used to use the Mr Clean thing on the RV as well until they didn't make it anymore. I have since been using the "Water Stick" which works really well and would last longer if I could control my usage a little better. You can buy refill bags of deionizer and softener and it really saves time when cleaning up the coach.
***CAR/RV WASHING SPOT FREE WATER SOFTENER/DEIONIZER***

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's a pretty cool system, but those replacement filters are just too expensive. It may be better to invest in a larger system if you can. The in line one I could see being useful for those types of people that rent a place and can't install something larger.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
After I wash I drive it into the garage to use detail spray on paint and windows without issue. It's an extra step but works and I don't mind.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mist with detail spray before drying.
this.
go over to adams polishes and watch the video on washing a car, they show exactly this.

i personally use a kwazar venus bottle so i can pressurize it and not have to squeeze a trigger all the time.

you can actually let the detail spray dry completely and then go back and wipe it off.

·
Registered
900 Posts
x2 on soap, don't use Dawn or other dish wash soap as it has drying agents.

I've used el-cheapo Turtle Wax car wash soap for last 35 years, never had an issue. I dry with synthetic chamois and use detail spray, I like Mother's but any brand will work. I do paint first and then go back and do glass with clean chamois and follow with Invisible Glass and microfiber to remove any spots. I find spots on glass easier to remove.

The only time you should use dish wash soap is before claybarring for a new coat of polish. It strips the wax/polish from the car and leaves the paint directly exposed.

I have always used a proper car wash - at the moment I use an Armorall car wash which works well - my cars will all bead in the rain.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The only time you should use dish wash soap is before claybarring for a new coat of polish. It strips the wax/polish from the car and leaves the paint directly exposed.

I have always used a proper car wash - at the moment I use an Armorall car wash which works well - my cars will all bead in the rain.
I wash with Dawn when I'm going to claybar & I use a Dawn solution when I claybar. Cheap & works really good.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Don't use Dawn! It will dry out anything that is plastic or rubber. If you want to do a strip wash, use something like Adams All Purpose Cleaner mixed into the wash bucket (1-2 oz). Dawn may be cheap, but you will get what you pay for (and maybe some things you don't want)!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't use Dawn! It will dry out anything that is plastic or rubber. If you want to do a strip wash, use something like Adams All Purpose Cleaner mixed into the wash bucket (1-2 oz). Dawn may be cheap, but you will get what you pay for (and maybe some things you don't want)!
I haven't seen any ill effects from using Dawn as a wax remover but I only use it once a year. My longest owned ride was my 1999 Suburban that I bought new. 13 years & 268,000 miles later the paint still looked like new.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello. Work has been a little crazy and i just sat down and read all the posts. Thanks for all the tips. The detail spray is interesting. I have have some shade but it seems like I can't get up early enough in the summer.
The posts about the equipment to treat the water reminded me that a neighbor mentioned to me a while back that he has a side job cleaning solar panels and was going to get equipment that will give a spot free rinse. I will have to check that out and see if it's reasonable.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
If you get stubborn spots on glass, try using Gel Glass Streak Free glass wax. Works wonders. I bought some years ago for wife's Suburban as the back glass seemed to waterspot no matter what I did.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Griot's also makes a great detail spray: Speed Shine I use it to to quick touch-ups and also get rid of water spots.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts