Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And then make sure that the blame is passed on to anything they can.
Global warming is the catch all cause of everything bad in today's society. Curtailing it will make all well. At any price.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The problem here in Victoria is that the East Gippsland area has been in severe drought for a couple of years whilst the rest of State has been not too bad. The soil moisture contents in the forrest areas has been measured at 5%. the firies get real nervous when it gets down to 8%. These fires were started by dry lightning and have come down from heavy forest areas. I doubt hazard reduction burning would have made a significant difference to the Victorian fires. not sure about the NSW ones but i suspect they would be similar. None of the councils or governments are Greenies but they take notice of firies (perhaps not enough though) and the main reason hazard reduction burns were less this year was the prospect of them getting out of hand. One of my workmates has a small farm in the Dandenong Ranges and he was not stopped from hazard reduction burns except when the wind was strong and he had no problem with that. We also have large fires in Western Australia, South Australia (Kangaroo Island) and Tasmania and the weather for most of the country for the next day or so could easily be described as diabolical from a fire point of view -temps in the 40s and wind changes with coolchanges causing more problems than they solve. All major cities are affected by smoke to. it is trying times.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
2,990 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Part of the problem has been the weather conditions have not been favourable to fuel reductions burns this year and to a lesser extent last year. Also with the size of the forest you do 20% and still have the same event we are experiencing now. You can't predict where lightning will strike and cause a fire but with close to 100% certainty you can assume that arsonists won't choose an area that has had a reduction burn to set their evil fires.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just read where they've arrested 98 people for starting fires. Need to hang a few of them...
It is even higher than that. I think the 98 is just one State. Strangely they seem to be predominantly males aged 14-24. Not sure why that would be but some have been charged and some cautioned by police.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It is even higher than that. I think the 98 is just one State. Strangely they seem to be predominantly males aged 14-24. Not sure why that would be but some have been charged and some cautioned by police.
Upon seeing how widespread are the fires and the timing I immediately suspected eco-terrorist arson but didn't want to seem alarmist. And I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong...but...it's likely to be ...Forest Jihad. In 2012 the Inspire, the online English Al-Qaeda journal called upon the faithful to wage forest fire jihad against the Western infidel enemy. There's very many references yet I'm hesitant to post because the references are on sites not known for political correctness.

Back in 2008 the Brisbane Times wrote Islam group urges forest fire jihad. In the last few months, a pro-ISIS media group released posters titled "Ignite Fires" urging attacks against Western interests.

In today's political climate suggesting or even reposting this information can earn unsavory labels for anyone calling attention to the threat of eco-terrorism. I hope I'm wrong but struggle to find other motivation for this type of attack.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
This is the heart of the issue based on most books I've read on the subject. The quick-burning fires of centuries-past kept fuel in control, but were quick and lacked the intensity to kill anything but the weakest and dead trees. Can't go back in time to reach that ideal balance now though.

In today's political climate suggesting or even reposting this information can earn unsavory labels for anyone calling attention to the threat of eco-terrorism. I hope I'm wrong but struggle to find other motivation for this type of attack.
I've always wondered why this wasn't more prevalent. The sheer amount of damage that can be done is astronomical compared to IEDs, guns or even planes. If a failed transformer or two can cause so much havoc, how much worse would it be with a group of only 3 or 4 intentionally setting fires, blocking exit routes, and paying attention to the Weather Channel??

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
... and the global warming alarmists are pounding their chests.

I saw an interview with an Australian global warming "expert" scientist and obviously activist who after glossing over the 350 year cycle of warming/cooling of the planet insisted that the CAUSE of the fires were global warming.

The fires were caused by lightening or these human pyromaniacs. Global warming and/or weather cycles are not the CAUSE; they are the conditions that effect the level of damage.

Cause (lightening/pyromaniacs) + modifiers (weather/global warming) = effect.

As Ira said; many times the most effective and least preventable 'terrorism' is the lowest tech. Should we outlaw/restrict the purchase of matches and Zippo/BIC lighters ???

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I'm sure most of you know Jeremy Clarkson, a former presenter of the BBC's Top Gear. He has obviously lost the plot - unbelievable rubbish talk about the Australian Bush fires...
'He began the piece by saying: “I’ve suspected for some time God didn’t want people to live in Australia.“He created it as a continent far, far away where he could house all his experiments that had gone wrong.”........ went on to list all the creatures that live in Australia and suggested God was “embarrassed” by them and wanted to set fire to the country'... “For millions of years, this big, sandy cupboard under the stairs went unnoticed. Jeremy Clarkson sparks outrage over Australia Bushfires comments: 'He should be ashamed'
I've just returned from Victoria (Australia) - people are hurting -the eastern part of Australia is ravaged by fires – a lot of people were caught out vacationing at numerous remote beaches / small beach towns and are now struggling to get out of harms way. My memories of many of these towns will be very different to the reality of today – several have been raised to the ground. It doesn't help that Australia is the size of continental USA and sparsely populated. Australians are extremely grateful for the firefighters assisting from the US and Canada. Hope our fauna and wildlife bounce back.
Peter

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm sure most of you know Jeremy Clarkson, a former presenter of the BBC's Top Gear. He has obviously lost the plot - unbelievable rubbish talk about the Australian Bush fires...
'He began the piece by saying: “I’ve suspected for some time God didn’t want people to live in Australia.“He created it as a continent far, far away where he could house all his experiments that had gone wrong.”........ went on to list all the creatures that live in Australia and suggested God was “embarrassed” by them and wanted to set fire to the country'... “For millions of years, this big, sandy cupboard under the stairs went unnoticed. Jeremy Clarkson sparks outrage over Australia Bushfires comments: 'He should be ashamed'
I've just returned from Victoria (Australia) - people are hurting -the eastern part of Australia is ravaged by fires – a lot of people were caught out vacationing at numerous remote beaches / small beach towns and are now struggling to get out of harms way. My memories of many of these towns will be very different to the reality of today – several have been raised to the ground. It doesn't help that Australia is the size of continental USA and sparsely populated. Australians are extremely grateful for the firefighters assisting from the US and Canada. Hope our fauna and wildlife bounce back.
Peter
Yes all these "actors", sports players and influenceers need to shut their pie holes.

All the political statements; like at the Golden Globes should end. These people crave publicity and seem to try to outdo each other to gain the most.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Yes but doing something is so much harder than crying publicly.
All these celebrities have the money and power to make real change.
Instead they donate money to each others charities that put on galas for them to attend and rub their noses in all the good they have done.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 59 Posts