Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll be interested to see the positive impact to keeping the heat off the bottom of the VCM CAI. I used adhesive heat shield and then topped it with the reflective tape to reduce radiant heat.

I used the old PCV location for the HTRK sensor, too.

The only downside of my mod is I doubt I have enough space under my CAI to fit a piece of Lexan to mimic Rick Crawford’s Ram Air plate mod and have the assembly sit flush on the mounting brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gbro18 and wilkin4

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good idea. Any stats yet? B.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. Any stats yet? B.
I don’t have a thermistor or tools to verify impact. I’ll just have to wing it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interested in your results.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
There is a kit for installing a similar type of heat shield under the intake manifold to isolate the manifold from the engine heat. Probably not a bad idea to do that as well.

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a kit for installing a similar type of heat shield under the intake manifold to isolate the manifold from the engine heat. Probably not a bad idea to do that as well.
I bought a big roll of that exact stuff for the same price as the underside LS3 kit. I installed it on my new LS3 intake after sending it out for radius rod installation. One thing I learned is the engine valley deck plate bolts will push up into the heat shield material and inhibit a good good seat between the intake port gaskets and heads plus a correct torque reading on the intake bolts. I had to cut out circles around the bolt heads to allow enough space to seat the intake properly.

·
Premium Member
6,960 Posts
Subscribed to see how much difference this makes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Its going to be difficult to measure the difference (if any) this will make. First thing I'd do is get yourself a Bluetooth OBDII dongle and download the app called "torque". You can measure IAT1 on the LS3. Then record your results over say, 10 driving sessions without the mod, and again for 10 sessions with the mod, pref the same distance and route, trying to keep the variables the same.

VF R8 LS3, Harrop 2300 FDFI, 1⅞ coated headers, 3" catback, 4L reservoir, 3L surge, 575rwhp

Reactions: bourmb

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its going to be difficult to measure the difference (if any) this will make. First thing I'd do is get yourself a Bluetooth OBDII dongle and download the app called "torque". You can measure IAT1 on the LS3. Then record your results over say, 10 driving sessions without the mod, and again for 10 sessions with the mod, pref the same distance and route, trying to keep the variables the same.

VF R8 LS3, Harrop 2300 FDFI, 1⅞ coated headers, 3" catback, 4L reservoir, 3L surge, 575rwhp
Is there a preferred OBDII dongle? I have an iPhone 11. Is it OK to leave it plugged in to check measurements long-term?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd steer clear of the cheaper eBay dongles, my first one was DOA so I spent $70 and acquired one store bought. Torque app does use the battery, but if you can route a power cable for your phone it should be fine.

Mounting positions are scarce but I managed to buy a phone cradle with a suction cup small enough to stick to one of my lower guages. I dont have a photo but you can see it in this vid:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd steer clear of the cheaper eBay dongles, my first one was DOA so I spent $70 and acquired one store bought. Torque app does use the battery, but if you can route a power cable for your phone it should be fine.

Mounting positions are scarce but I managed to buy a phone cradle with a suction cup small enough to stick to one of my lower guages. I dont have a photo but you can see it in this vid:

Any issues keeping the dongle plugged in at all times? Does it cause any glitches that you know of?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any issues keeping the dongle plugged in at all times? Does it cause any glitches that you know of?

Ive had it plugged in since July 2019 with no issues. All it does is transmit the vehicles sensory data via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My VCM saga continues; I ordered the Harrop center brace and it fits perfectly and connects to hood latch studs and adds additional stability to the lid. Not bad for a $20 part... and $10 shipping

Reactions: Glynn and gbro18

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
never heard of that support. I didnt know there was a problem without it.
I don’t think there is a problem. I just see the need based on the kid having a hole.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There a part number for it?
Contact Chris. The part obviously has to come from AU so there might be a wait as I had them put it in another shipment coming to the US to cut $40 out of the shipment compared to sending it by itself from AU.

Reactions: Glynn

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It torques me slightly that Harrop chose to include the bracket but VCM probably looked at it as a cost savings exclusion. I love my VCM, minus the clips and I’m happy I ordered it as it was $100 cheaper than the Harrop USA a few months ago. I was taken back when I tried ordering the CAI from Harrop USA that they didn’t know their VCM competition price point which turned me cold when I heard them say they needed more time to re-evaluate their pricing strategy in the USA. I prefer the Harrop clipping mechanism but didn’t want to jump through hoops to get their CAI and wait any longer.

Reactions: 16HeronSS

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Same here. I wanted and had planned on buying a bunch of harrop stuff and they said February a delivery will be done and have the stuff on it. Never heard from anyone at harrop again. I’ll pass on the bracket if it’s not in the US already. I’ve dealt with Chris, the owner(forgot his name), and Julian on many occasions during sema last year. I lost interest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts