Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if its worth it or not but bank offered extended warranty on my car. The company offering warranty is Assure Guard. Their ultimate plan costs $1940 dollars with $0 deductible for additional 8 years and 100k miles. I know everyone on this forum recommends GMEPP warranty. I have a '15 SS and it already has the original 10 year 100k mile warranty on it. My question is how reliable is this car in terms of non powertrain related issues ? Are the magnetic shocks covered under the powertrain warranty ? Is it worth waiting few years and then getting the warranty?

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not sure if its worth it or not but bank offered extended warranty on my car. The company offering warranty is Assure Guard. Their ultimate plan costs $1940 dollars with $0 deductible for additional 8 years and 100k miles. I know everyone on this forum recommends GMEPP warranty. I have a '15 SS and it already has the original 10 year 100k mile warranty on it. My question is how reliable is this car in terms of non powertrain related issues ? Are the magnetic shocks covered under the powertrain warranty ? Is it worth waiting few years and then getting the warranty?

Thanks
Powertrain on '15s is 5 year, 100K miles if I'm not mistaken.

Mag ride is not covered under powertrain warranty, but is covered under GMEPP. While you would have to look at the terms of the bank's extended warranty, I would bet a pretty penny it does not cover the mag ride system.

I am far more confident in the powertrain's reliability as compared to the remainder of the electronic components in the car. With a 2015, depending on when it went in service, I would buy sooner rather than later if you want to go the extended warranty route.

-TH24

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMG_4760.jpg

I have attached the brochure of the warranty that they cover. I am mainly concerned about the magnetic shocks and some random electric gremlin.

Also, the ultimate plan doesnt cover the radio unit. That costs extra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
As someone else on here pointed out in a different thread, the list/poster of items extended warranties cover is essentially just marketing. The devil is in the details (the policy itself, which will list the specific inclusions and (sometimes more importantly) exclusions from coverage). I'd call up the company that underwrites the policy and specifically ask if they cover the mag ride. Ask if they use new parts for replacements. Ask if there are caps on costs for certain repairs. Ask for a form of the policy.

A quick Googling of Assure Guard Warranty comes up with next to nothing--that would concern me.

If it were me, I'd go buy a GMEPP and sleep well at night. At a bare minimum, go price one out with the top GMEPP sellers that are mentioned on here (James Black Cadillac and Menholt Chevy).

-TH24

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was skeptical about that as well when i looked up the company name. The extended warranty company is partnered with bank and she told me that i can take it to any dealership and the warranty will be accepted.

I know GMEPP is legit but on one of the websites i got a quote for $3,725 for 84 months and 100k miles which is twice as much as what Assure guard is offering.

I'll give James E Black a call and ask for a quote. I was just wondering if i can buy the extended warranty when my powertrain warranty is about to expire rather than buying just now

·
Registered
422 Posts
Give Black a call. I got my 5 year 70k for 1400 and change. I bought my GMEPP policy directly through Black. Well worth the peace of mind. B.

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts

Thanks
Forget the warranty from the bank!!! Its not worth the toilet paper they print them on!! The only one that offers any realistic assurance is the GMEPP!!! NOW, that said,,,, NO,,, it will not cover the mag ride shocks as well as a number of other systems, BUT will cover the REALLY expensive stuff,,,, (anything with a circuit board!!), and of course all of the drive train gear!! Of course they exclude any of the expendable parts as well. I will be making my purchase later next week on my 17 6MT, that has just over 10K now. Will cost about $1500 ish. The longer you wait, and of course, the more mileage you rack up, the higher the final purchase cost will be. In my case, with under 12K, will be cheap!!! Over 12K and price nearly doubles!!!

Call James Black Chevy, and ask for Allen Black, he owns the place!!! He handles these warranty sales personally!! Very smart guy, and totally savvy on the SS!!!!

GOOD LUCK!! :devil

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forget the warranty from the bank!!! Its not worth the toilet paper they print them on!! The only one that offers any realistic assurance is the GMEPP!!! NOW, that said,,,, NO,,, it will not cover the mag ride shocks as well as a number of other systems, BUT will cover the REALLY expensive stuff,,,, (anything with a circuit board!!), and of course all of the drive train gear!! Of course they exclude any of the expendable parts as well. I will be making my purchase later next week on my 17 6MT, that has just over 10K now. Will cost about $1500 ish. The longer you wait, and of course, the more mileage you rack up, the higher the final purchase cost will be. In my case, with under 12K, will be cheap!!! Over 12K and price nearly doubles!!!

Call James Black Chevy, and ask for Allen Black, he owns the place!!! He handles these warranty sales personally!! Very smart guy, and totally savvy on the SS!!!!

GOOD LUCK!! :devil

Thanks alot. Yeah I'll definitely give him a call. Although i wish GMEPP covered the mag ride shocks. Those things are super expensive to replace and i have a feeling they will go out in the next 5 years lol.

$1500 is a really good price for that coverage.

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts

Thanks

GOOD LUCK!! /forum/images/SSforums_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
Hey ESindon, are you certain about GMEPP not covering the Mag shocks/struts? I was under the impression they were covered...please let us know and thanks.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
GMEPP, others are a waste of funds / efforts. Contact Fitchner or Black for best prices and plans. GMEPP is total bumper to bumper ------

·
Registered
286 Posts
... NOW, that said,,,, NO,,, it will not cover the mag ride shocks as well as a number of other systems, BUT will cover the REALLY expensive stuff,,,, ...
This is not what I was told when I purchased the plan, and the contract language itself says it covers "all parts listed in Silver Coverage and any other parts, except for those items listed in the exclusions section of this contract."

The exclusions section, as far as I can tell, does not exclude shocks.

-TH24

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
This is not what I was told when I purchased the plan, and the contract language itself says it covers "all parts listed in Silver Coverage and any other parts, except for those items listed in the exclusions section of this contract."

The exclusions section, as far as I can tell, does not exclude shocks.

-TH24
Hey ESindon, are you certain about GMEPP not covering the Mag shocks/struts? I was under the impression they were covered...please let us know and thanks.
They are NOT covered!!! Click and Cry,,, Below!!!! :crying

GMEPP Platinum | GM Extended Warranty

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i received a quote from Menholt chevrolet (since James E Black Caddillac denies giving coverage to cars outside of their 3/36 warranty) and below are the list of things that they will not cover. Also their highest coverage plan 72/75000 is $4,000 :blink: . I am better off putting that money in my savings account and using that for repairs.

Exclusion List

Components that are not covered are those listed on the Exclusion List:

A. Any of the following parts: carburetor, battery and battery cable/harness (unless listed as specific covered parts), standard transmission clutch assembly, friction clutch disc and pressure plate, distributor cap and rotor, glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, fuses, circuit breakers, cellular phones, game centers, AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding $3,000 repair or replacement cost, speakers, audio/video equipment, pixel damage due to impact on display screens, electronic transmitting/receiving devices,key fobs, tire pressure sensors, remote control consoles, radar detection devices, brake rotors and drums, all exhaust components, and the following emission components: EGR purge valve/solenoids/sensors, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, catalytic converter/filtering/sensors, emission vapor sensors, gas cap/filler neck, weather strips, trim, moldings, bright metal chrome, upholstery and carpet, paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels, frame and structural body parts, vinyl and convertible tops, any convertible top assemblies, hardware or linkages, tires and wheels/rims. External nuts, bolts, and fasteners are not covered except where required in conjunction with a covered repair.

B. Maintenance services and parts described in your vehicle’s Owner’s Manual as supplied by the manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts, which include, but are not limited to: alignments, adjustments, wheel balancing, tune-ups, spark plugs, spark plug wires, glow plugs, hoses, drive belts, brake pads, brake linings/shoes, and wiper blades. Filters, lubricants, coolants, fluids, and refrigerants will be covered only if replacement is required in connection with a breakdown.

C. For any damage and/or Breakdown resulting from collision, road hazard, fire, theft, vandalism, riot, acts of terrorism, explosion, lightning, earthquake, freezing, rust or corrosion, windstorm, hail, water or flood, acts of God, salt, environmental damage, chemicals, contamination of fluids, fuels, coolants or lubricants.

D. Any breakdown caused by misuse, abuse, negligence, lack of normal maintenance required by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for your vehicle, or improper servicing or repairs subsequent to purchase. Any breakdown caused by sludge buildup resulting from your failure to perform recommended maintenance services, or failure to maintain proper levels of lubricants and/or coolants, or breakdowns caused by fuels containing more than 10 percent ethanol (if the engine was not manufactured for this fuel mixture), or failure to protect your vehicle from further damage when a breakdown has occurred or failure to have your vehicle towed to the service facility when continued operation may result in further damage. Continued operation includes your failure to observe warning lights, gauges, or any other signs of overheating or component failure, such as, fluid leakage, slipping, knocking, or smoking, and not protecting your vehicle by continuing to drive, creating damage beyond the initial failure.

E. Any repair or replacement of any covered part if a breakdown has not occurred. Any part that a repair facility or manufacturer recommends or requires be replaced or repaired or is an update, and is not a breakdown, is your responsibility and expense.

F. Any alterations that have been made to your vehicle or use of your vehicle in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer, including but not limited to the failure of any custom or add-on part, all frame or suspension modifications, lift kits, any tire that is not recommended by the original manufacturer if it creates an odometer/speedometer variance of greater than 4 percent, and trailer hitches. Also not covered are any emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications, engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications.

G. If, while owned by you, your odometer has ceased to operate and odometer repairs have not been made immediately, or the odometer has been altered in any way subsequent to purchase of the contract.

H. If your vehicle has ever been a total loss, salvaged, rebuilt, or is a gray market vehicle.

I. Any liability for property damage, or for injury to or death of any person arising out of the operation, maintenance, or use of your vehicle described in the contract, whether or not related to the parts covered. Loss of use, time, profit, inconvenience, or any other consequential loss, including any consequential damage to a non-covered part that results from a breakdown.

J. Any breakdown where the manufacturer is responsible for the repair or if the breakdown is covered by a repairer’s guarantee/warranty (regardless of manufacturer’s or repairer’s ability to pay for such repairs).

K. If your vehicle is used for towing (unless your vehicle is equipped with a factory-installed or factory-authorized tow package), or is used as a commercial unit (unless appropriate surcharge is marked on Registration Page and only as defined under “Definitions,” “Commercial Use”), or is used for rental, taxi, limousine, shuttle, towing/wrecker service, dumping (dump beds), cherry pickers, lifting or hoisting, police or emergency service, principally off-road use, prearranged or organized racing, or competitive driving.

L. Any pre-existing condition or any breakdown occurring before coverage takes effect or prior to the contract purchase date, or if the information provided by you or the repair facility cannot be verified as accurate or is found to be deceptively inaccurate.

M. Breakdowns that occur and/or repairs made outside of the United States of America and Canada.

N. Diagnostic and/or teardown procedures that are not listed, or are in excess of the times listed in the current year’s national flat rate hourly guide in conjunction with a covered repair.

·
Registered
286 Posts
They are NOT covered!!! Click and Cry,,, Below!!!! :crying

GMEPP Platinum | GM Extended Warranty
That's a website hosted by a dealer in Lowell, Indiana for marketing purposes and is pretty clearly adapted from their old GMPP marketing materials (heck, the title of the section you reference is even "GMEPP (Formerly GMPP) Platinum Warranty Coverage Features Parts and Labor Costs"). GMEPP is not "formerly" GMPP--they are two separate programs with separate terms underwritten by separate insurance companies. They just both happen to have partnered with GM at different times.

By contrast, the actual legal contract governing GMEPP plans explicitly says it covers "all" parts, except those specifically excluded. Shock absorbers are not listed. No tears here. :thumbsUp:

Happy to post up screenshots of my contract tonight.

-TH24

EDITED: List of exclusions above appears identical to what is in my contract.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Almost had me / I thought that web site was miss-leading and out dated but unsure... thanks for clarification. I feel better again

Reactions: tarheel24

·
Registered
286 Posts
Almost had me / I thought that web site was miss-leading and out dated but unsure... thanks for clarification. I feel better again
Just to be clear, I don't have any insider knowledge--just reading and relying on my contract (and, to a much lesser extent, the word of the people who sold it to me) instead of that sales website with some pretty obvious flaws.

-TH24

·
Registered
113 Posts
Curious about anyone's experience with a claim on a GMEPP warranty. I know dealerships get more critical (taking pictures, sending claims to GM for assessment, etc.) when big stuff breaks to make sure no funny business is happening with mods or abuse. Does the GMEPP process place a car under the same scrutiny as the original warranty?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts