Android as a whole does outsell Apple iPhone devices. But you have to consider how many manufactures and how many different devices are Android devices.
Samsung and Apple flip back and forth on sales king. Samsung Galaxy S4 outsold iPhone 5 starting in May 2013. Then, once the iPhone 5S and 5C were released in September, each of those models outsold the Galaxy S4. Now with the release of the Samsung Galaxy S5, I expect they will reclaim the sales crown. And that will again likely swing back to Apple with the release of the IPhone 6 or whatever they call the next IPhone.
Based on what I see, I would hardly say the iPhone is fading away, any more than I would say that Chevrolet Trucks are fading away because Dodge outsold them. Competition is good for the market, good for innovation. I hope it stays this way.
it seems you dont understand math.
it doesnt matter WHO builds the device, it matters what OS it is using.
if there were 500 companies making devices with a one os on them, and they sold 90% of the market, it wouldnt mater if the other 10% of the market were one device with a different OS.
The market has Chosen the OS that sells the most units.
You're own example falls short as you suddenly flip from comparing sales of single models, to two models from one manufacturer outselling a single model from another manufacturer.
It's called cooking the numbers and its what statisticians do.
But what really matters is that i dont want to have to choose my daily use vehicle based on a phone OS.
That is like choosing my house based on the color of the mailbox.
the mailbox is a tool.
it receives and sends information.
a car ecosystem should interface properly with any "mailbox" that can send and receive information using a recognized standard.