Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my SS since march 1 and today I got a letter saying my free trial of OnStar will expire on Sept 1. I wanna keep it since I like using the onstar app for nav and remote start, and the peace of mind that I can get someone if I need to help.

However it's pretty pricy - almost $300/year.

Has anyone figured out a way to get them to discount it like you can do with SiriusXM?

·
Registered
36 Posts
At least some of the functionality of the OnStar app doesn't require a paid subscription. From 2014 SS Sports Sedan: High-Performance Sedan | Chevrolet:

RemoteLink Key Fob Services† are a component of the OnStar RemoteLinkTM† app that gives you access to features such as remote start as well as locking and unlocking—even when miles away from your vehicle. This is included for five years after purchase of your Chevrolet vehicle, with or without a paid OnStar® subscription.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Wait a little longer. I got a email 8 days before termination date. With another deal.

Copy from Email:

There are just a few days left in the OnStar¹ trial in your 2014 CHEVROLET SS. It's important for you to know that when your trial expires, OnStar will no longer be able to provide help in an emergency or any other situation.

Select your preferred service plan today. Because if you haven't made a choice before 07/19/14, your OnStar service will be canceled — meaning you lose access to all your OnStar services.
Call 1.866.385.0541 or press your blue button before 07/19/14 for uninterrupted service.

Available Service Plans
Directions & Connections
Your current plan. Includes all Safe & Sound services plus Turn-by-Turn Navigation.
Monthly cost: $26.90*
Annual cost: $269.00*

Safe & Sound
Includes OnStar Emergency, Connections, Diagnostics, and Security services.
Monthly cost: $14.95*
Annual cost: $169.00*

Does this work for you?

Reactions: 1badss

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just be careful with them if you don't want your credit card on file make sure they remove it. I renewed my contract for my last car and didn't want my card on file after a hearing wasn't going to renew got my bank statement come to find out they had kept my card on file and they had been deducting monthly payment from my card I ended up calling and complaining they refunded my money which turned out to be 3 months then they gave me 6 months free plus my calling minutes carried over. During free term went to make call I had no minutes called they gave me free minutes and another 3 months free.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The whole your phone minutes expire thing needs to die.
Even the ******* cell phone companies have that one up years ago.

·
Registered
924 Posts
All..They have your credit card on file and you cannot remove unless they are called..I found this out this week as I tried logining on and doing myself through On-Star website..No Luck..Their deal is pretty much as reported $26+ for Safe and Sound (all inclusive) but I rejected..Then I was offered $14+ for same Safe and Sound pak..I will wait as I'm sure they can offer less..(So to make sure your credit card is NOT charged the top monthly rate just make sure they remove and cancel the membership after the 6mo trial period)..You can alway call them to re-activate a new deal..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My free 6 months is up next week and I called and asked for a deal, she said the best she could do was the full $29/month pkg for $26. I said thanks for insulting me and hung up. $3/month off? F that.

I do use the onstar mobile app for sending addresses to my Nav so I'll miss that I guess. Not worth $29/month (or 26)

·
Registered
768 Posts
It's cheaper if you pay 12 months at a time rather than monthly.

I got a good deal because for the first 5 months of owning my Onstar service dissapeared, they said they had no record and started me all over for a new 6 months. So,, I guess I got 5 months free.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've never used or bought OnStar services, not that some of what they offer isn't of value. It's just that I don't trust the Big Brother concept they expect us to pay for whether it's $27 or $15 a month.

Why would an SS owner buy the full blown package? The car already has built-in Navigation. As for just getting the basic Safe and Sound package which gives you OnStar Emergency, Connections, Diagnostics and Security services, I have to ask why to those as well?

First and foremost, let's not kid ourselves, OnStar is monitoring our vehicles whether we are paying for a plan or not. Second, wouldn't you think that if a monitoring station had an alarm go off due to an airbag deployment that it would automatically trigger a 911 call to the local dispatch center. For crying out loud, dispatch has to answer and process every butt-dialed 911 cell phone call now. You mean to tell me if OnStar sees an airbag alarm they first check to see if the customer has made his monthly payment before calling emergency services?

As for the Security services - again, why should it be an extra charge? If the vehicle is involved in a crime, law enforcement will be the only ones OnStar is going to give that information to. And if law enforcement asks OnStar for it, do you think they are going to say, sorry, but the customer didn't make his monthly payment so we won't give it to you. (I highly doubt it.)

As for the Diagnostics piece, the dash tells me pretty much everything that OnStar does, so I don't see any high value there.
And lastly, as to the Connections feature, good grief, practically everyone carries a cell phone now days.

So tells us OnStar - what do you offer that's really of value which our cell phone or built-in features in our SS's doesn't already provide? Come on, you might as well say something. We know you're listening.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My insurance discount because onstar is active (theft/recovery/accident notification to EMS) equals the cost for the safe and sound at my pricing level so I get if for free.
CB - I hadn't thought of that angle. So OnStar does give you some value (in a Big Brotherly way.) My free subscription runs out in October, which is the same time I'll be covering it up and tucking it in for the winter. Have already talked with the insurance agent who suggested dropping much of the expensive coverage during storage thereby saving a good amount of cash.
I'll have to ask next spring what (or if) there is discount for having OnStar.

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
My insurance discount because onstar is active (theft/recovery/accident notification to EMS) equals the cost for the safe and sound at my pricing level so I get if for free.
You know for that discount you are giving OnStar the permission to share with your insurance company your driving habits ie how fast you are driving.
I don't needed anyone looking over my shoulder discount or not.
z51vett
Doug

·
Banned
15,274 Posts
You know for that discount you are giving OnStar the permission to share with your insurance company your driving habits ie how fast you are driving.
I don't needed anyone looking over my shoulder discount or not.
z51vett
Doug
I don't have the insurance company onstar adversities/partners with.

My company does not 'partner' with onstar for that info.. It is strictly an additional discount, just like companion policy, safe driving record, senior driver improvement, etc add-on discounts.

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
I don't have the insurance company onstar adversities/partners with.

My company does not 'partner' with onstar for that info.. It is strictly an additional discount, just like companion policy, safe driving record, senior driver improvement, etc add-on discounts.
In that case A okay, State Farm wanted me to join but they wanted to track our cars no way is that happening.
GM wanted to sale traffic info gathered from On Star but everyone gave them a lot of heat over this and dropped it.
z51vett
Doug

·
Registered
432 Posts
I never gave them a credit card to begin with. Don't know why anyone would.
Same here, I did not give a CC #. Already got bit by OnStar on my wife's Camaro. When the free ended they started charging my credit card the most expensive monthly rate. When I tried to cancel they said I wasn't the primary so I couldn't cancel so my wife had to call. What a hassle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The OnStar harassment has just started. They have called me 5 times in the last 4 days. I won't renew. Good thing I never gave them my card number.

Reactions: fincherific

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
And lastly, as to the Connections feature, good grief, practically everyone carries a cell phone now days.
It is my understanding that OnStar will use ANY available cell tower/carrier connection that is available - not limited to just one carrier such as AT&T or Sprint.

Also, I believe that OnStar actually has a 3 watt transmitter (due to its crash response functionality) as opposed to a 0.5 watt transmitter in the normal cell phone. Therefore its range should be longer than an average cell phone.

If I'm wrong then please correct me, but that is what I remember from my research on OnStar from several years ago.

Reactions: Pinetree
1 - 20 of 48 Posts