Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody here in the valley that has a 14/15 with long tubes and an otherwise stock exhaust that I might be able to meet and take a listen to? Sound clips are great for sound but don't tell me much about volume.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a 15 with Kooks LT’s and catted mids to stock mufflers.

I’m free tomorrow. I live near Westgate.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 15 with Kooks LT’s and catted mids to stock mufflers.

I’m free tomorrow. I live near Westgate.
Thank you, that would be great! I work at Bell & the 101. The only problem is Thursday is the only night I don't have an appointment right after work on the east side of town this week. I don't know if you dd the SS or not or if you work on the west side but I'd buy you lunch if that'd work one day? There's no huge rush on this either so I could always try to make the next Mixteca or Pavillions meet you attend. The warranty isn't up until September. I'm just getting my plan together. :devil

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thursday evening might work. I’ll get back to you on that one.

With this heat, I’m not certain when I’ll be attending the next Mixteca meet. You might have a better chance running into @lawhill1986 there. He has the full setup from Stainless Works.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thursday evening might work. I’ll get back to you on that one.

With this heat, I’m not certain when I’ll be attending the next Mixteca meet. You might have a better chance running into @lawhill1986 there. He has the full setup from Stainless Works.
I don't blame you. Not to mention we're about to hit the monsoon season so the humidity will be lovely. (I'm a native so I'm allowed to cry about 20% humidity :grin)

Edit:
Let me ask you this: if you had to guess, how much louder to you is the car after the headers/catted mids? Is it something you notice idling and cruising around or mostly just when you romp on it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't blame you. Not to mention we're about to hit the monsoon season so the humidity will be lovely. (I'm a native so I'm allowed to cry about 20% humidity :grin)

Edit:
Let me ask you this: if you had to guess, how much louder to you is the car after the headers/catted mids? Is it something you notice idling and cruising around or mostly just when you romp on it?

@rickvdj has a moderate to very loud setup. The sound ranges from seudo-cam to that traditional raspy Kooks fire! Mine is a low to moderate rumble, that I chose because it was my favorite sound. Install was terrible however.

·
Registered
406 Posts
^^ what he said

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@rickvdj has a moderate to very loud setup. The sound ranges from seudo-cam to that traditional raspy Kooks fire! Mine is a low to moderate rumble, that I chose because it was my favorite sound. Install was terrible however.
I'm trying to stay more on the sleeper side of things. The trouble with the install was fitment or the shop you dealt with? Or did you tackle it yourself?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm trying to stay more on the sleeper side of things. The trouble with the install was fitment or the shop you dealt with? Or did you tackle it yourself?
Self install, by route of a mechanic I know. Had a lift and there wasn't much trouble until you get to the muffler side of things. They don't fit properly and take some modifications to get them to look good and not make a vibration especially at higher temps while at lower rpms. It's something I deal with because it's just a minor annoyance now that I've had the modifications done. Brake squeal is far worse by comparison.

Car is very sleeper-y. That was my goal. It gets louder and sounds great at open throttle but I'd say half as loud as the Kooks setup at open. Enough to get people to notice, not ever going to be TOO loud for anyone. Deep rumble and the crackles make me smile every single day!

Let me know if you want to hear it and I could pop over to Pavs sometime Saturday, I live close and usually drive by to see the crowd even if I don't stay.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Self install, by route of a mechanic I know. Had a lift and there wasn't much trouble until you get to the muffler side of things. They don't fit properly and take some modifications to get them to look good and not make a vibration especially at higher temps while at lower rpms. It's something I deal with because it's just a minor annoyance now that I've had the modifications done. Brake squeal is far worse by comparison.

Car is very sleeper-y. That was my goal. It gets louder and sounds great at open throttle but I'd say half as loud as the Kooks setup at open. Enough to get people to notice, not ever going to be TOO loud for anyone. Deep rumble and the crackles make me smile every single day!

Let me know if you want to hear it and I could pop over to Pavs sometime Saturday, I live close and usually drive by to see the crowd even if I don't stay.
I gotcha. That sounds like a setup that might work. I reaaaaalllyyyy hate that brake squeal. So annoying/embarrassing. I'd like to hear it! Maybe one of these Saturdays coming up when the rain won't get us.

Reactions: lawhill1986

·
Registered
15 Posts
Way late to the party here, I always forget that forums still exist. '14 with Kooks 1-1/8 LT's, Catted Mid, to Solo Axle Back. It's.... not a sleeper anymore that's for sure. But it's exactly what I wanted out of the exhaust. Now that it's about to start cooling off in the evenings I'll be back out at some of the local meets. I'm in NW Glendale so may catch me out and about.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Way late to the party here, I always forget that forums still exist. '14 with Kooks 1-1/8 LT's, Catted Mid, to Solo Axle Back. It's.... not a sleeper anymore that's for sure. But it's exactly what I wanted out of the exhaust. Now that it's about to start cooling off in the evenings I'll be back out at some of the local meets. I'm in NW Glendale so may catch me out and about.
With all I've read about Solo's on here it'd be nice to really hear them (outside of a video clip). I think a few of us are still planning on meeting tomorrow at Mixteca (weather permitting).

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have the ARH Catted LOng system into stock mufflers, but i'm cammed now. It was pretty loud pre cam with the setup when you mashed the pedal.

I'm in the south mountain area tho.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the ARH Catted LOng system into stock mufflers, but i'm cammed now. It was pretty loud pre cam with the setup when you mashed the pedal.

I'm in the south mountain area tho.
Cruising volume tolerable? Any drone?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Reactions: Taze
1 - 15 of 15 Posts