Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but I can't be the only person on here that wants to get through the "break in" time specified by the manual. It is taking me forever to accumulate miles because of all the **** snow that we have been getting in here in Colorado/family/work obligations. My daily commute to and from work is only 6.2 (no pun intended :trollFace:) miles so I'm not adding many miles. Id prefer not to go out and drive around on these summer tires given the weather and horrendous road conditions.

I'll quit rambling and get on with my question. I will be driving to Columbia, SC in about 1.5 weeks, staying there for about 45 days, and then driving back to Colorado. A month later, I will be moving to Cleveland. (another 1300 miles) I'm afraid I won't have the required "break in" mileage put on the car by the time it is time for me leave for SC. (if the weather cooperates, obviously I will put miles on it before the trip begins).

If for some reason I don't have the mileage put on the car by then, what adverse effects will this/could this have? I know the book says to avoid pro-longed highway driving during the break in period. What are your thoughts?:question::dry:

edit- as of today, I have 301 miles on the odometer.

Attachments

· Registered
467 Posts
I agree with slingshot. At 600 miles, mine was doing WOT bursts a quarter mile at a time and that was with the arguably less bullet proof L-76.

· Registered
823 Posts
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but I can't be the only person on here that wants to get through the "break in" time specified by the manual. It is taking me forever to accumulate miles because of all the **** snow that we have been getting in here in Colorado/family/work obligations. My daily commute to and from work is only 6.2 (no pun intended :trollFace:) miles so I'm not adding many miles. Id prefer not to go out and drive around on these summer tires given the weather and horrendous road conditions.

I'll quit rambling and get on with my question. I will be driving to Columbia, SC in about 1.5 weeks, staying there for about 45 days, and then driving back to Colorado. A month later, I will be moving to Cleveland. (another 1300 miles) I'm afraid I won't have the required "break in" mileage put on the car by the time it is time for me leave for SC. (if the weather cooperates, obviously I will put miles on it before the trip begins).

If for some reason I don't have the mileage put on the car by then, what adverse effects will this/could this have? I know the book says to avoid pro-longed highway driving during the break in period. What are your thoughts?:question::dry:

edit- as of today, I have 301 miles on the odometer.
Your moving to Cleveland? Cleveland?
Who did you piss off?
If you want any info about the west side of Cleveland PM me.
Seriously though, you have my sympathy...:blink:

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your moving to Cleveland? Cleveland?
Who did you piss off?
If you want any info about the west side of Cleveland PM me.
Seriously though, you have my sympathy...:blink:
lol yea man work is moving me to Medina/Strongsville Area. Luckily the wife is from North Ridgeville so we will super close to her family!

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you mean Cleveland Ohio or Ga. we have a Cleveland county N.C. my home state and county. If you mean Ohio that's the lake effects snow area I feel for you.
z51vett
Doug
I wish it were Cleveland, GA...but sadly it is Cleveland, Ohio. I am definitely going to have to invest in new wheels/tires for up there.

The SS would fun to drive up near Dahlonega/Toccoa/Cleveland area!

· Registered
98 Posts
I think that by the time you actually have to move you'll have driven enough that it shouldn't be a big deal. Afterall, its not like once you hit 600 the car magically is broken in. It's a blurred line, more of a suggestion. I think you'll be fine.

· Premium Member
1,218 Posts
its not about the number, its about how you get to the number. I don't think anyone needs to be told twice to beat on an LS ;)
Vary the load, rev it out occasionally, with lots of deceleration to suck down any debris (if any) from the cylinders and frequent oil changes (more so in the beginning) but do not drive it easy…my .02 of course. All my new “break-ins” this way resulted in higher HP #’s than others.

· Premium Member
1,218 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,937 Posts
Break in is not for the engine its is for trans and rear end and other driven components. Oh I change mine to mobil one some time after 500 miles and less than a 1000 miles just to get rid of all the metal and such from wearing in new engine.
z51vett
Doug

· Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Interesting, as coming from Boosted high hp Subaru's there is no breakin needed for any drivetrain component.

Learn something new every day.

Just an fyi, there are numerous online threads that have been comparing UOI's (used oil analysis) and after reading most of it I can't in good conscious use regular Mobil 1 (their Extended Service -yellow label but not the reg.).

· Registered
924 Posts
All...I've got 3975 mi and still driving using the factory oil...I was told by GM Engineer to use the computer system in the car to tell you when the oil needs changed..I've got roughly 55% left until first oil change..Just drive it! oh yea then we all get FREE oil changes for the first 4 oil changes, 24k miles or two years which ever comes first per the warranty at time of purchase for the 2014 models..Thanks GM...

Reactions: MikeC1003 and 2074
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.