Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a summer/dry condition only tires. Currently making 659 rwhp and my current set up: Conti Extreme Contact ain't getting it done, absolutely no traction (which was self inflicted with my recent power increase :))

Car will only be a weekend warrior, no rain or cold temperatures (below 40 degrees). What is the best tire for road surfaces, research has provided:

285/35/19
MT ET Street S/S Radial
Toyo Proxes R888R
Bridgestone Potenza RE71R

mainly looking at rear. Looking for thoughts, suggestions & personal experience with any of the above? I plan on getting a separate drag pack, so this tire would be street use only; possible some drag time if I go before purchasing the drag pack.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Are you still on the stock rims? I believe the stock 9" rim is pretty maxed out with a 275. I'm no expert but just from what my internet research has said.

I think any of the tires will be tough hooking up on the street. I had Nitto NT05's and they were alright but a soft tire and only good for about 8,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
14,144 Posts
I just had 285/35/19 Michelin A/S 3+ installed this morning. They fit fine and look as spec as the 275 Bridgestones.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Once you're able to hook up and put down all that power, your drive train will experience greater stress than before. Likely you're aware, mentioning this here for others who may be following this thread.
At the strip I had some good (for me) time slips but was spinning the first 150ft or so. I was determined to hook on a launch. I hooked beautifully but it made my transmission throw up. That was a costly performance reward.

Reactions: MikeMc and ESindon

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Is that 650 dynojet hp? Im at about 550 Mustang Dyno hp and my 285-35-19 Continentals are awesome. And although to most drag racers it may not seem that great, I was able to get a 1.8 60 ft at the track. On the street I never seem to struggle with traction unless temps get down into the 50s or lower.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Michelin pilot sport 4s and be done with it.

Reactions: willy92

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for a summer/dry condition only tires. Currently making 659 rwhp and my current set up: Conti Extreme Contact ain't getting it done, absolutely no traction (which was self inflicted with my recent power increase :))

Car will only be a weekend warrior, no rain or cold temperatures (below 40 degrees). What is the best tire for road surfaces, research has provided:

285/35/19
MT ET Street S/S Radial
Toyo Proxes R888R
Bridgestone Potenza RE71R

mainly looking at rear. Looking for thoughts, suggestions & personal experience with any of the above? I plan on getting a separate drag pack, so this tire would be street use only; possible some drag time if I go before purchasing the drag pack.
I run the RE71R on my AC Cobra, about as much traction as you can get without running the MT drag radials

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,368 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Here is proof that PS4s arent perfect, neither is the driver.....and no longer is the car. 50F dry night. On Ramp, snap oversteer on initial turn in (basic sport mode), straightened and slowed it BUT... double tapped guardrail. Car could not catch itself and I was not ready nor was I expecting it. I have nobody to blame but myself. No bags, no injury. 50F is too cold for these tires to provide grip. Sorry I took all the SS parts available in the country! This minor buff out was $18,500 and was completed Dec 31st. ....and, I no longer get the Rogers rate....

I still think its worth $55K !! :unsure:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here is proof that PS4s arent perfect, neither is the driver.....and no longer is the car. 50F dry night. On Ramp, snap oversteer on initial turn in (basic sport mode), straightened and slowed it BUT... double tapped guardrail. Car could not catch itself and I was not ready nor was I expecting it. I have nobody to blame but myself. No bags, no injury. 50F is too cold for these tires to provide grip. Sorry I took all the SS parts available in the country! This minor buff out was $18,500 and was completed Dec 31st. ....and, I no longer get the Rogers rate....

View attachment 287642 View attachment 287643

I still think its worth $55K !! :unsure:
D*AMN!!! That sucks. Sorry to see that. And I agree with you....the PS4S are not a panacea. They have limitations and aren't perfect. I would definitely be wary of them in colder temps (as would I with all summer rated tires). That being said, I do believe them to be one of the best if not THE best all around summer street tire. Out here in sunny and relatively warm Northern CA, they're my year round tire. HOWEVER...it does get cold enough for me to still be concerned about traction. I drove my car a few weeks ago in mid to low 40's and I noticed a difference in their performance. Especially when first getting on the road and tires were their absolute coldest.

Hope your car is fine now and your wallet is recovering from the pain of the accident and residual insurance effects for the coming years. Bummer man....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts