Chevy SS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Glad you’re OK. Good job of NOT trying to avoid the critter. To many do and get themselves killed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Would you be the SS owner from East Hanover to whom I gave my spare OE Bridgestone tire; you drove over to my house? Whether yes or no, very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
870 Posts
That should be fixable. If the frame is not bent.
Fixable yes, but part supply is a joke.

Would take months to repair if the parts can be located.

Air bags went off. Insurance will total the car.

Chevy ss what a near perfect car never to be made again

Ppp

Reactions: Dolores

·
Premium Member
214 Posts

Ppp
Can you clarify part supply is a joke? Is that the US side warehouse issue for all GM Models or does Aussie not have to provide spare parts for the Commodore? Isn't there a 10 year spare parts rule?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry for the crappy throw of the dice that put the deer in front of you, :( but really glad that you guys are OK.

I really want to drive through some of the good (read: twisty, with elevation changes) roads around here, but I am distinctly nervous about having the same thing happen...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Parts are available to fix collisions and will be for some time to come.

No, there is no "rule" (law) that says manufacturers have to carry spare parts for 10 years (Or any time period for that matter)
Service mgr got rear ended in his ss a couple of years ago. The car was offline for months due to part problems. And this was when parts were still being made.

The same auto body repaired my windshield brought that up as well. Part availability is pretty bad.

·
Registered
870 Posts
What part(s) was he waiting for?
Honestly no idea I never talked in detail about it with either the service mgr or auto body shop.

I’ve had a couple of my cars in the auto body , it’s always the same. A few parts come in but not all. Guess it was that just worse for the ss.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gosh, glad the SS protected you & the family. Sure you'll find another protector. Considering the impact with the hood blocking your view great job safely getting off the road.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The key that many have already mentioned including yourself is that the OP and family are safe. I don't know you perosnally, but it's good/a blessing to see someone involved in a motor vehcile accident, especially one at highway speeds, walk away without major injury.

I was just rear ended by a **** near 5,000 lb. truck, so I can relate somewhat. I haven't been in an accident in like 15 years before this. It's not a fun experience. Heal up, grab something new, and get right back in the saddle is my motto.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Ppp
Just because the airbags went off does not mean the car is totaled.

The fight here will be aftermarket parts. I'm not sure what is or isn't available for the SS aftermarket since I've never bothered to look but I see insurance companies using junk aftermarket parts on cars that are still under bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just because the airbags went off does not mean the car is totaled.

The fight here will be aftermarket parts. I'm not sure what is or isn't available for the SS aftermarket since I've never bothered to look but I see insurance companies using junk aftermarket parts on cars that are still under bumper to bumper warranty.
I don’t want to debate it. However it pans out I wish the op well.

But question. If car is in the body shop and they can’t complete the car for months. What’s the status on the loaner . Usually it's 30 days from your insurance. If it’s the other I guess unlimited.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
To the OP. SO happy you and your family are ok. Glad that you are well enough to tell about it.
Your SS can be fixed hopefully to your satisfaction o and soon you will be back on the road.

A side note.

There is NO PARTS availability issues with the SS at this time. Sadly CYP had a short delay on a radiator but was resolved with a new in the box part OEM and he has it now fixed I believe and is on his way, he has moved on and so has his SS with him.

This constant talk about parts not being available is all hear say and untrue. We have new members joining daily and new owners as well of the SS. A father and son just returned from a road trip to pick up their new SS. Let us extend them the same courtesy we had of not having to constantly read there are NO parts available for their car when that SIMPLY is not true. Let us not make issues today when we do not know what the future holds. WE cannot control the future.

This happens with ALL manufacturers and anyone who works in this industry knows. Lets just calm down about this and enjoy the days before us and our cars please.

“It's not time to worry yet”
― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
There is NO PARTS availability issues with the SS at this time.

This happens with ALL manufacturers and anyone who works in this industry knows. Lets just calm down about this and enjoy the days before us and our cars please.

“It's not time to worry yet”
― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
Maybe it's wannabe owners trying to scare owners to sell their SS on the cheap.

I worked Aerospace for 34 years and in the past 10 years, the biggest bottleneck was procurement. 12-16 week lead times to get parts that are supposed to be on a shelf. 4 weeks of that was just getting the purchase request turned to a purchase order out of our own house. Cutbacks on government spending doesn't allow for businesses like Northrop to stock standard parts like connectors which in my field was the longest lead tiime.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe it's wannabe owners trying to scare owners to sell their SS on the cheap.

I worked Aerospace for 34 years and in the past 10 years, the biggest bottleneck was procurement. 12-16 week lead times to get parts that are supposed to be on a shelf. 4 weeks of that was just getting the purchase request turned to a purchase order out of our own house. Cutbacks on government spending doesn't allow for businesses like Northrop to stock standard parts like connectors which in my field was the longest lead tiime.
Sounds like a lot of politics leading to lawsuits or inventory manipulation leading to multimillion dollar deals. This is not my area of expertise.

In my experience with automotive parts, if they're on backorder, they're waiting for the supplier. If parts are discontinued, that means one of two things. Time to get creative.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.