Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/got-a-new-chevrolet-crate-motor-use-fully-synthetic-oil/

So after reading this short article, do the mechanically inclined/much smarter than me Forum Members think we should use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil exclusively? I was kind of surprised that there was no mention of the AC Delco full synthetic oil in the article. Not trying to start a raging debate (well maybe a little), just trying to learn, and see if it's in my engine's best interest to switch to the Mobil 1 oil. Thanks.

2017 PBM, Auto Trans, Sunroof and Spare, All Stock, Original Owner, Original OEM Tires, 19,450 miles.

P.s. yes I know what a crate engine is.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I run Mobil 1 or any other Dexos 1 gen2 Synthetic over AC Delco already because:

1) They are as good or better, and much cheaper with rebates.

2) Oils today are quite improved over those available when the LS3 was developed. You would have to go way off spec to find an oil today that would harm your SS engine.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Anther one.....Please no........

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
OMG .. not again ...

Lets do something more enjoyable?
is blonde better than brunette ? OILS guys, oils ...

I like "Motor honey", its blonde ...

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Got A New Chevrolet Crate Motor? Use Full Synthetic Oil | GM Authority

So after reading this short article, do the mechanically inclined/much smarter than me Forum Members think we should use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil exclusively? I was kind of surprised that there was no mention of the AC Delco full synthetic oil in the article. Not trying to start a raging debate (well maybe a little), just trying to learn, and see if it's in my engine's best interest to switch to the Mobil 1 oil. Thanks.

2017 PBM, Auto Trans, Sunroof and Spare, All Stock, Original Owner, Original OEM Tires, 19,450 miles.

P.s. yes I know what a crate engine is.
Smirnoff old pal!!!

Stick with the good stuff,,,, FULL SYNTHETIC, ONLY!! It is always gonna be a sometimes rancorous debate over this!! You cannot go wrong with Mobil One 5/30!!! Its NOT expensive,,,, Caveat here is that I do my own work and buy in bulk on sale at WalMart when I run low!! The difference in price is NOT that vast anymore,,, but it was not always the case!!! Also,,, I stick with using WIX XP oil filters. If you change these things on a regular basis, even with cheap crap parts and oil,,, (again an interval will be another sometimes rancorous debate),,, you will no doubt extend the life of the engine!!! My dearly departed BMW ran on original internals for 314,000!!!! I stick to a 5,000 mile regimen on the SS,,,,, OIL IS CHEAP,,,, PARTS AND SERVICE ARE A FORTUNE!!!

I am wrenchin on cars for the last half century!!!! I,,, like some other respected members here,,,, have seen pretty much just about everything that can happen from careless ownership and maintenance!!! It does not take an Einstein,,, or brain surgery,,, to get the simple things right,,, just a bit of due diligence!!!

Just my $0.02 !!!

And Yeah!!! OY VEY,,, Another Oil Thread!!!

:wink

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
GM currently (again) has a marketing agreement with Mobil Oils so they currently (again) recommend Mobil 1...many of us here believe that the Dexos 1 Gen 2 full synthetic oil at the dealership is Mobil Super synthetic since dealerships usually also carry Mobil 1 and uncharge for that...

I would imagine that any oil that meets the current spec (depending on your vehicle) can be used and if following the recommendations for when it should be changed and a proper oil filter should not be the cause of any issues with your engine provided everything else is working to spec...

I prefer Mobil 1 mostly because of their marketing and I remember them as an early convert to a full synthetic as well as being able to buy it inexpensively enough when Mobil runs their rebates that I end up paying less than some synthetic blends or dino oil...

Buy the oil you like that meets the spec and find something else to worry about...;)

Bill

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
GM currently (again) has a marketing agreement with Mobil Oils so they currently (again) recommend Mobil 1...many of us here believe that the Dexos 1 Gen 2 full synthetic oil at the dealership is Mobil Super synthetic since dealerships usually also carry Mobil 1 and uncharge for that...

I would imagine that any oil that meets the current spec (depending on your vehicle) can be used and if following the recommendations for when it should be changed and a proper oil filter should not be the cause of any issues with your engine provided everything else is working to spec...

I prefer Mobil 1 mostly because of their marketing and I remember them as an early convert to a full synthetic as well as being able to buy it inexpensively enough when Mobil runs their rebates that I end up paying less than some synthetic blends or dino oil...

Buy the oil you like that meets the spec and find something else to worry about...;)

Bill

exactly correct …

but I will add one more item to something another member brought up ..
not all cars are compatible for full synthetic oil therefore the need for blends ...
something to do with oil molecule size, seals, and/or engine parts casting porosity...

AMSOIL anyone?

https://www.certifiedmastertech.com/2019/05/02/amsoil-vs-mobil-1-which-is-the-better-synthetic-oil/

·
Registered
920 Posts
I was a big fan of the Amsoil 5-40 euro spec in my old setup on the T/A, I could hotlap it in the 1/4 and it made great pressure, and on BOITG they always liked its test results. Right now I'm running Driven LS30 in the new setup but I'm debating trying that 5-40 again as I'd like a hair more hot oil pressure.

Usually run M1 or PP 5-30 in the SS.

Honestly like I've said before don't overthink oil in an LS if it's not getting routine track duty and abuse. You could run walmart dino and still make it 200K (think of how many fleet 5.3s and 6.0s in the trucks did just that for years). Not that I blame anyone for wanting quality protection and 3 more HP, but they are tough motors and something else besides oiling will probably kill it first, it's a port injected N/A V8. On some smaller DOHC, VVT, DI turbo motor with cylinder deactivation and such, yeah I'm sure they are a bit more sensitive to oiling quality - such as the timing chain stretch prone GM 3.6.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
I seem to remember tests that show synthetic oils performing alike when fresh, but some, specially Mobil 1, losing its viscosity a bit sooner ...

Probably not really important to me, since I rarely drive with 6,000 rpm on the tach ...

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
While AMSOIL may technically be a better oil, I stick with Mobil 1 for three simple reasons:

1) It’s what GM recommends for its performance cars.
2) It performs very well at a reasonable price point, especially with routine discounts from Mobil 1 or Costco.
3) My SS gets ~3,000 miles and one oil change a year. No reason to pay AMSOIL extra money for the level of protection I need.

There are also Penzoil and Valvoline synthetics at would work equally as well for my use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
While AMSOIL may technically be a better oil, I stick with Mobil 1 for three simple reasons:

1) It’s what GM recommends for its performance cars.
2) It performs very well at a reasonable price point, especially with routine discounts from Mobil 1 or Costco.
3) My SS gets ~3,000 miles and one oil change a year. No reason to pay AMSOIL extra money for the level of protection I need.

There are also Penzoil and Valvoline synthetics at would work equally as well for my use.
All of that may be true, and I will preface this by saying, I'm not a rich man, like some of you. Maybe because I spend my money on Amsoil, premium fuel, Michelin tires and an SS in the first place, so, I try not to get hung up on a price point. Not saying that I give money away, like hey,... I use Costco gas and drink Kirkland liquor, I get my discounts at the supermarket and that translates into .10,.20, event .50 cents a gallon discout at Shell gas too, and I even bought my SS at what amounted to the later promoted 20% discount, because my car was previously titled as a "program vehicle" with 89 miles on it, and I get my repairs done at about a 60-70% discount, also. But, hey, I wouldn't use "price" as the reason not to use something for my car that has been proven to be better for it, especially if I'm going to keep it until the cows come home.

But, that's just me.

·
Registered
753 Posts
This is going to tick off some guys but I better come clean now. Amazon was running a special on Castrol 5w30 full synthetic and..........I bought 2 bottles with the intention to putting it in my SS next oil change. I normally get Mobil 1 but I saved $3, lol. Am I not allowed at any of the car meets?

Seriously, I run whatever name brand fully synthetic oil is on sale at that moment and change it when it tells me to. Had the oil tested in the past and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
...I run whatever name brand fully synthetic oil is on sale at that moment and change it when it tells me to. Had the oil tested in the past and never had a problem.
Nothin's wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
All of that may be true, and I will preface this by saying, I'm not a rich man, like some of you. Maybe because I spend my money on Amsoil, premium fuel, Michelin tires and an SS in the first place, so, I try not to get hung up on a price point. Not saying that I give money away, like hey,... I use Costco gas and drink Kirkland liquor, I get my discounts at the supermarket and that translates into .10,.20, event .50 cents a gallon discout at Shell gas too, and I even bought my SS at what amounted to the later promoted 20% discount, because my car was previously titled as a "program vehicle" with 89 miles on it, and I get my repairs done at about a 60-70% discount, also. But, hey, I wouldn't use "price" as the reason not to use something for my car that has been proven to be better for it, especially if I'm going to keep it until the cows come home.

But, that's just me.

All good, to each their own (I run Michelin and Top Tier premium only in the SS too.)

My friend runs only AMSOIL products in his Shelby GT500 and I get that too. Meanwhile I wanted to try the AMSOIL torque drive fluid in the SS manual transmission, so I had him order some through his distributor for me. Almost 3 months later and I’m still waiting on it, so there is also value in readily available products...

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
All good, to each their own (I run Michelin and Top Tier premium only in the SS too.)

My friend runs only AMSOIL products in his Shelby GT500 and I get that too. Meanwhile I wanted to try the AMSOIL torque drive fluid in the SS manual transmission, so I had him order some through his distributor for me. Almost 3 months later and I’m still waiting on it, so there is also value in readily available products...

HUH!!! 3 MONTHS!!! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!

I have a local distributor here in the LA Port!!! I can have it in my hands before the end of the week!! Maybe sooner!!! He started stocking some after my last order, in October!!! Let me know!!! I can PM you his info!!! I am sure he will ship it to you!! Won't take 3 months,,, I guaranty that!!!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
HUH!!! 3 MONTHS!!! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!

I have a local distributor here in the LA Port!!! I can have it in my hands before the end of the week!! Maybe sooner!!! He started stocking some after my last order, in October!!! Let me know!!! I can PM you his info!!! I am sure he will ship it to you!! Won't take 3 months,,, I guaranty that!!!!

Oh, I know this is probably an outlier situation and I am going through a middle man of sorts. I could order it from Amazon too, but the delay really isn’t an issue at the moment. My broader “point” was simply I can get Mobil 1 and other mainstream products virtually anytime I want for a decent price.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything on sensitive topics like oil selection and politics, just giving my perspective...;-)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
... My broader “point” was simply I can get Mobil 1 and other mainstream products virtually anytime I want for a decent price.
I understand, for that reason I always keep some on hand and cary some in the trunk.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts

But, that's just me.

LOVE IT !!!

:3tens:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts