Chevy SS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Interesting,

So it seams you remove the module out of the car and send it to them for programing and flashing, presto changeo, plug it up and your back in business?

wonder if I can buy a spare module just to send them?

so many questions...…

tp
I believe he went the spare route.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy SS PBM
20 Posts
Hey Guys,
Chris White had a spare cluster for sale a couple years back (spring 2015). It was the cluster he used for testing when the SS's first came out. I ordered it, and Chris programmed it to my VIN. They swap out is pretty easy and is documented on here.
Greg

·
Registered
642 Posts
So do you all get the whipple rattle... sounds like some rocks at idle.. I noticed it driving today for a while. Every rpm but idle sounds good but it sounds like rod knock almost lol

·
Registered
642 Posts
Also approximately how much of the supercharger oil bottle did you all use. I’ve used 3/4 and it’s srill showing low after first 50 or so miles need to add more.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Add the WHOLE bottle..... don't skimp
Yep looks like whole bottle gets it about right.. didn’t want to do it all at once but have been topping it off after every drive cooldown... idk why they don’t say add the whole bottle in the directions the first time lol.. or it will take almost the full bottle after driving etc. do you get the whipple rattle at idle? Mines pretty loud.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Weird... I am reading hundreds of posts about the rattle on all other makes and models with the 2.9 but none on Chevy SS. I checked all my idlers etc again this evening and make sure everything was snug and checked oil level in blower again. I’ll go drive it again tomorrow and see but it’s a chatter like described in the install manual, just seems a little louder than I thought it would be.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Glad you put all the oil in that should help.

How much /hard did you run it without the full bottle in it?

hopefully no real harm done but for good measure I would order up a new bottle and do a changeout (real) early like 5,000 mi or so.

My own thoughts were to change mine at 25,000 and every 25,000 afterward (I know it's a thing with me).

BTW, no rod knocks, or bad gravel sounds out of mine, at idle (hood up) get some induced gear noise but real low level stuff.

My biggest worry was getting all of the air out of the secondary cooling system, I swear it took a month, but at most I run the car 2 days a week (so theirs that).

Just kept sneaking up on it every time I saw the water level low in the tube prob. 1/4 of a gallon in all added to find its happy place.

Cheers,
tp

·
Registered
642 Posts
Def no harm done there it has more than 3/4 of a bottle at all times just finished it off as rotor pack consumed it. No more than a couple miles driving at a time. Almost sounds like a procharget cogish kind of rattle. Feels strong etc and if I add any throttle it goes away. It’s only at idle

Reactions: htp69

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Good deal,

BTW the whipple base tune is good but...

Got an added ~180 to the rear tire with it (not over the moon ) but not bad either.
Here was the rub it was a little (lean) not bad lean just not "Safety Fat" as tuner dude calls it.

So with timing, fuel and 3.75 pully got 614 hp out of it 585 tq. and much fatter on boost all the way to 6400. So there is more to be had.

Now go have fun....

Cheers,

tp

·
Registered
642 Posts
Good deal,

BTW the whipple base tune is good but...

Got an added ~180 to the rear tire with it (not over the moon ) but not bad either.
Here was the rub it was a little (lean) not bad lean just not "Safety Fat" as tuner dude calls it.

So with timing, fuel and 3.75 pully got 614 hp out of it 585 tq. and much fatter on boost all the way to 6400. So there is more to be had.

Now go have fun....

Cheers,

tp
That’s awesome! I didn’t do the factory tune kit. I’m running e85 larger injectors, Dsx aux pump, 3.25” pulley, longtubes etc. should be pretty great once dialed in. Drives great but haven’t done any wot pulls yet. Weather sucks here

Reactions: htp69

·
Registered
642 Posts
Talked to my tuner. Chuck Anders at Houston House of Power said the noise im hearing is jackshaft rattle, its subtle but its extremely common on jackshaft PD blowers and its nothing at all to worry about. He said whipple especially has a little jackshaft rattle. hes installed dozens of these 2.9 whipplles on GM cars and trucks. So, idk why someone on here hasnt heard theirs rattle a little bit. maybe y'all have too loud of exhaust! lol :p

·
Registered
642 Posts
OK, found the weakest link last weekend. My Bracket and pulley for the power steering delete (the one on the drivers side head) broke off and thankfully just landed at the bottom of the engine bay without collateral damage. I was thankfully able to idle it into a parking lot and have it towed home, ordered an aftermarket bracket from wichita KS, made of billet, much stronger than OEM, put it on and back on the road, its a really nice piece and costs pretty much the same as OEM replacement ( depending on your dealer) and it doesnt take a week to get to you like OEM does. Just a heads up, thats the highest stress point of the serpentine system according to the folks down under. They have aftermarket options we only have one ICT billet in Wichita, KS

Reactions: Dsmer1

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
OK, found the weakest link last weekend. My Bracket and pulley for the power steering delete (the one on the drivers side head) broke off and thankfully just landed at the bottom of the engine bay without collateral damage. I was thankfully able to idle it into a parking lot and have it towed home, ordered an aftermarket bracket from wichita KS, made of billet, much stronger than OEM, put it on and back on the road, its a really nice piece and costs pretty much the same as OEM replacement ( depending on your dealer) and it doesnt take a week to get to you like OEM does. Just a heads up, thats the highest stress point of the serpentine system according to the folks down under. They have aftermarket options we only have one ICT billet in Wichita, KS
You mean this one???? I must know about this beefy version you speak of. Have you installed it yet? Does it match the belt line?
I replaced the factory one I showed in the pictures with another made in China factory bracket but it is extremely chinsy and I'm not confident in it

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
You mean this one???? I must know about this beefy version you speak of. Have you installed it yet? Does it match the belt line?
I replaced the factory one I showed in the pictures with another made in China factory bracket but it is extremely chinsy and I'm not confident in it
YEP, that piece of S***. I did install the new bracket it is AWESOME! This one was 59.99 free shipping and billet. the aussie one is $280 but super beefy ( although i dont see the ICT one breaking ) Just as an FYI though, you will have to get a longer belt than you were using. I had to order a 100" belt, I was running a 98" belt when the bracket snapped (3.25" blower pulley), brought my stock whipple belt with me the 99" and it was so tight my tensioner is 1/16" away from maxed out. so it def moves the pulley over. But So worth it for me. I'll have the 100" and a 100.5" belt that will be here tomorrow and i can let you know how well the tensioner relaxes.

Heres the S*** part:
Vehicle door Auto part Automotive design Automotive lighting Hand

Heres them next to each other:
Auto part

Here's the beast installed. ( it uses the bolt hole that held the sound tube on your intake, bracket is a little bit bigger than the OEM. )
Auto part Wheel Tire Engine Vehicle

Reactions: Dsmer1 and 41AH24

·
Registered
642 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'm searching for it now to order it and can't find it, do you have a part number?
Thank you! I've been worried about that junk stock piece. Mine held on for a few years but every years I put more stress in the belt drive.
I have a 99.4" belt on the car now but I have a new 101" belt on the shelf
I see you added a linky! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Weird, the listing says Camaro truck balancer, we have the 'corvette' spacing for our belt drive which is significantly more inboard than the Camaro/truck spacing. Did you have to modify the standoffs?

101 - 120 of 143 Posts