Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a VMS IAT sensor HSRK into the backside of the VCM lid behind the filter. However, I jacked up the sensor so I ordered an Omega 44055 thermistor and installed it in the sensor housing. I also installed heat shield material on the backside and underside of the VCM lid to minimize heatsoak. Does anyone know where the ambient air sensor is located in the engine bay? Today, my phone’s weather app was showing 88 degrees F outside while the car’s outside temperature reading on the dash said 82 degrees with my DashCommand app said the modified IAT reading was 109.

Sadly, I would have also thought the new IAT sensor in the new location would have been closer to ambient or actual temperature. I did unplug it and reinstall the stock IAT sensor in the MAF and saw a 15 degrees increase immediately so I know it’s working but not as dramatic as I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm looking at Alldata and it appears to be clipped in front of the radiator on the passenger side, just inboard of the frame rail. It may not be possible to see or access with the bumper cover in place.

Reactions: bourmb

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm looking at Alldata and it appears to be clipped in front of the radiator on the passenger side, just inboard of the frame rail. It may not be possible to see or access with the bumper cover in place.
That would explain why my ambient is a lot higher than atmosphere temp due to the Ram air plate I installed yesterday which directs about 75% of the air in the top grill to the VCM intake. I might need to ditch the plate or significantly reduce the width of the plate as it probably will impact my car’s ability to heat or cool the cabin if it causes significant temperature error.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
That would explain why my ambient is a lot higher than atmosphere temp due to the Ram air plate I installed yesterday which directs about 75% of the air in the top grill to the VCM intake. I might need to ditch the plate or significantly reduce the width of the plate as it probably will impact my car’s ability to heat or cool the cabin if it causes significant temperature error.

Why not just move the sensor?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just move the sensor?
I will if I don’t need to remove the bumper again. The less stress on those quarter panel plastic tabs by removing/installing the front clip the better.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Even with a new IAT sensor I felt it was still heat-soaking as the Omega thermistor tip was mounted so close to the body. I had a hell of a time trying to solder wires the size of a human hair. I ended up making the sensor length too short as the wires broke but the result worked but not to the level of IAT levels I kept reading about on the G8 and GTO forum with the same mod.

Therefore, I bought a second Omega 44005 thermistor and managed to get the exact results I strived for. An individual with the call-sign Svede1212 on the LS1GTO site first came up with this design. I modified his design to make it more robust, though. The design incorporates a standard sensor body from a Standard AX32 sensor, a twin hole coffee stirrer straw, epoxy and a short portion of standard straw to support the epoxy around the twin hole straw connecting to the AX32 sensor housing. I coated all soldered connections with liquid electrical tape then filled all voids with epoxy to protect the very fragile connections. I coated the exterior minus the sensor with liquid electrical tape for increased durability and to minimize heat-soaking. I’m happy to say on a humid 76 degree night my IAT were within 1 degree when moving. When I parked the car and went inside for 10 minutes and left again the IAT was at 110 degrees and within 2 blocks they dropped 15 degrees. I’m going to test it again tomorrow when it gets to be 90 outside. This sensor beats the hell out of the VMS or stock sensor for being fast reacting.

No, the sensor is not touching the filter.

I also finished installing heat shield material on the entire underside of the VCM unit as well as on top of the radiator that rests under the VCM.

My end result for the second sensor was a lot better as I purchased this tool on Amazon to clamp the wires, thermistor and sensor terminals while I was soldering. Typical cheap Chinese product which required me to epoxy the threaded connections in the clamp so they would not pull out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts