Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a thought here, but the "Lead Cars" for Xtreme Xperience(xxspeed.com) run AS3's and they haul ass infront of the supercars. only a well driven supercar can catch those guys. They only don't run if there's standing water or rivers across the track. I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. We get rain. Those AS3's are amazing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I LOVE my AS3+. Those tires will go on the car again when my current set wears out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
My OEM tires were like hockey pucks in the winter and started to show signs of cracking early on. The Michelin AS 3+ had a ton of cracks when I swapped them out for the Pirellis. We'll see how well the Pirellis handle cold temps.
The Pirelli P-Zero summer tires on my Mustang GT were dangerously slick below 45F. It was like the car was looking for a crowd. All 4 tires got cracks in them because of driving them in cold weather. I ended up replacing them after 8K miles with some DWS06 all seasons making the car ride so much smoother & improved the handling/braking.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Pirelli P-Zero summer tires on my Mustang GT were dangerously slick below 45F. It was like the car was looking for a crowd. All 4 tires got cracks in them because of driving them in cold weather. I ended up replacing them after 8K miles with some DWS06 all seasons making the car ride so much smoother & improved the handling/braking.
Pretty much any summer tire will exhibit marginal performance at low temps. So far, the Pirelli all-seasons are holding up well...better grip than the Michelins, under 45F. It's a softer compound and I don't expect to get the same mileage out of them.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Good thing they make a tire for everyone’s tastes/needs, but reality is a good UHP all season will work just fine for the vast majority of the miles put on these cars.

If you are regularly out-driving your AS3+ or Conti DWSs on the street, you need to change your driving, not your tires...;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
This thread is as bad as the "best oil threads".

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd love to know how many people are comparing the abilities of their all-seasons to the OEM summer tires instead of higher quality summer tires. I'm guessing a lot. The OEM summer tires were horrible in hot, cold, wet or dry conditions compared to a good set of premium Continental or Michelin summer tires. I'd certainly hope a good set of all-seasons could keep up with the crappy stock tires at a minimum, but you're leaving a lot of performance on the table whenever the weather is above freezing.

Then again, I see some of the miles people are getting out of their tires, so I recognize most people don't enjoy the twisties the way I do...
I agree to a point. The OEM Potenza RE050As are actually really good in the dry as decent in wet as long as temps are above about 50, below that and they fall off faster than the newer max perf tires like the Pilot P4S and Conti EC Sports. The RE050A was originally designed for the Ferrari Enzo back the early 2000s so its got some serious capability. Any OEM tire that can pull .95 - .97 Gs and brake from 70-0 in 152 ft on a 3900+ lb sedan is far from garbage. But the Potenza S-04s and Conti EC Sports I’ve had since my OEMs wore out have been superior for sure.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My Son and I run Continental DWS-06 tires. Very happy with performance and mileage. I have 53,000 miles on my set.
Same....Conti's are a 'for-sure' winner!

KW

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Good evening folks.
Below is a copy of what I had posted on the wheels and tires part of the forum. It is relevant to this thread and that is why I am reposting here. Too early for any real feedback yet on my new Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate tires. Will update later after I have had them awhile.
20200217_111534.jpg

Hello there. So today I had the local tire shop put on the new Goodyear Exhilarate stock size for a 2017 SS OEM 19s front and back.

So far so good in the 5 miles I had it driving home. Will provide more input later on performance etc...etc...

But what was interesting was the few pictures I took of the original Summer Potenza tires that had been on it. Note the cracks. Not sure if it was something I had done in the 8000 miles or so that I have had it or the first owner and the approx 17K miles that they had done.

Either way... this would be the cracks that folks talk about on driving in cold temps on summer tires.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
41 - 52 of 52 Posts