Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
To each their own, but I don't get the point of putting all seasons on a car you bought primarily for the handling and power. Makes no sense to me.
Temperature and condition flexibility are the main advantages of performance all season tires, relative to the summer-specific OEM tires. My Pirellis stick to the pavement and only exhibit a slightly more relaxed feel in tight cornering situations. According to my HUD, I'm able to pull the same Gs, without breaking traction, as the OEM tires...does it feel as sharp and controlled...no...a compromise I'm willing to live with, living in the DC metropolitan area. They also provide more compliance going over our ruff road conditions. Given that my SS isn't a dedicated track queen, I welcome the added comfort they provide.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I run Conti DW's now and plan to switch to DWS's next go round. We get no snow in Houston, but the temps do dip into the 30's and sometimes lower. I also would have liked to drive my car on a road trip to Oklahoma this past week, but decided against it as temps were in the 20's and 30's at night and 40's during the day. I need something I can feel confident driving in those temps.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Another DWS06 fan here. Been rolling on DWS06s for the last 90K miles on my SS. 300K miles on DWSs if you add all my cars together. I'm running 245 in front & 285 in rear. I still enjoy carving up the back roads. For the track I'll use dedicated tires. I only got 13K miles out of the OEM tires and get 40-50K miles out of the DWS tires.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I'd love to know how many people are comparing the abilities of their all-seasons to the OEM summer tires instead of higher quality summer tires. I'm guessing a lot. The OEM summer tires were horrible in hot, cold, wet or dry conditions compared to a good set of premium Continental or Michelin summer tires. I'd certainly hope a good set of all-seasons could keep up with the crappy stock tires at a minimum, but you're leaving a lot of performance on the table whenever the weather is above freezing.

Then again, I see some of the miles people are getting out of their tires, so I recognize most people don't enjoy the twisties the way I do...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I’ve been wondering the same thing because the doom and gloom from this thread if you drive on summer tires when it’s below 40* is pretty funny to me. I’ve routinely driven in summer tires for years in below freezing weather (even before I got the SS) and have never had a problem. But I always buy Michelin’s. I drove my SS when it was below 10* at least once and while I wasn’t driving it like I was on a race track I also wasn’t driving like a little old lady going to the grocery store and the car did just fine. I didn’t die and the tires didn’t split and fall apart.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I’ve been wondering the same thing because the doom and gloom from this thread if you drive on summer tires when it’s below 40* is pretty funny to me. I’ve routinely driven in summer tires for years in below freezing weather (even before I got the SS) and have never had a problem. But I always buy Michelin’s. I drove my SS when it was below 10* at least once and while I wasn’t driving it like I was on a race track I also wasn’t driving like a little old lady going to the grocery store and the car did just fine. I didn’t die and the tires didn’t split and fall apart.
My OEM tires were like hockey pucks in the winter and started to show signs of cracking early on. The Michelin AS 3+ had a ton of cracks when I swapped them out for the Pirellis. We'll see how well the Pirellis handle cold temps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
@Capricious

agree. I don’t feel comfortable pushing cornering limits of this car on the street though. If my car was going to see summer track time different story.

also FWIW car came with new conti’s. If it came with new PSS’s I wouldn’t swap them out.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I drive on my Continentals in temps below 40 because it's my daily, but Continental doesn't recommend it. I haven't had any issues to date (OEM tires were garbage in temps below 50), but I'd prefer not to risk it with my family in tow. I don't track my car or even take corners aggressively so I really don't need the performance that the Summer tires provide.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I drive on my Continentals in temps below 40 because it's my daily, but Continental doesn't recommend it. I haven't had any issues to date (OEM tires were garbage in temps below 50), but I'd prefer not to risk it with my family in tow. I don't track my car or even take corners aggressively so I really don't need the performance that the Summer tires provide.
After talking to a Continental engineer (surprisingly easy to get in touch with), he said there was no issue driving the tires under 40, aside from degraded performance. He did say not to drive them under 20 though, as damage was possible. I've stuck to that advice and leave the car in the garage for those few days each year.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,432 Posts
I swapped out the stock tires with the DW06 after about 6K when I ordered a custom set of monoblock Forgeline wheels. They now have 30k on them, and they will last about another 7k or so. They have become somewhat stiff and slippery around corners.

I was tempted to go with Mitch 4S despite my better judgment. By the time I run the last remaining miles on the Conti's, the summer temperature here in Lizard Spit, AZ, will be poking upward to 100+. Still, I will never forget how incredibly horrible the Mitch-PS2's performed, followed by a set of Pilot Super Sports on my previous Passat. They were nearly impossible to balance, and they developed flat spots after one day of non-use. Likewise, they wore out faster than a new girlfriend. I'll likely order another set DW06 and play it safe, though the temptation for a taller rear tire remains.

I noticed the specs of the 4S 295/35 is very close to the DW6 285/35, so I don't believe I would have any issues with it on my 9-1/2 inch rear wheel.

285/35 on 9.5x19 REAR

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why would you think we all bought the car for the exact same reason?
What else would you buy this car for? I'm at a loss for why someone would buy a $50k car like this if not for the chassis/drivetrain. It doesn't look that great, the tech is ok, the seats suck, etc.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Been running Conti DWS06 since my break-in oil change, I have about 18,000 miles on them and the tread still looks good. They perform admirably for all-seasons. Enough grip for fun when it's nice out and they can handle frigid winters with mild snow/ice conditions. The dry performance has its limits, but they are predictable, controllable limits.

@Capricious why would someone run all seasons on an SS? Because it's a perfectly capable daily driver, you live in a place that has winters, and you don't have the patience, money, or storage for multiple sets of wheels.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
869 Posts
What else would you buy this car for? I'm at a loss for why someone would buy a $50k car like this if not for the chassis/drivetrain. It doesn't look that great, the tech is ok, the seats suck, etc.
You bought, and think we all bought, the SS because it is a “sports car” (your words)...there are plenty of REAL sports cars that don’t have: 4doors, rear seats, cavernous trunks and 4000 + pounds to haul around. If I had a sports car, I would buy those Summer tires. The SS Sports Sedan with the family, dog, and luggage on board crossing the Rockies on those Ultra High Performance all seasons does just fine. More lateral grip from performance tires wasn’t enough to save all those wrecks I see posted on the salvage auctions.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It's a damn good family car and I don't see ten of them on the road during my commute each morning. Two reasons right there.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
After talking to a Continental engineer (surprisingly easy to get in touch with), he said there was no issue driving the tires under 40, aside from degraded performance. He did say not to drive them under 20 though, as damage was possible. I've stuck to that advice and leave the car in the garage for those few days each year.
I've read below 45 starts to get dicey, but good to know I don't have to worry about damage until sub 20. Like I said I haven't had any noticeable problems since switching to Contis, but I do worry about it more now that I have kids in the car sometimes. The Bridgestones were like driving on ice in cold conditions. I'm not 100% set on switching to all-seasons, but it's definitely something I'll consider when the time comes. The DWS-06 sounds like it would be a great fit for my needs.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
followed by a set of Pilot Super Sports on my previous Passat. They were nearly impossible to balance, they developed flat spots after one day of non-use, and they wore out faster than a new girlfriend.
I've never heard anyone say that about the PSS. I've had the PSS on my SS since 1200 miles (it has 25k now) and I just replaced the rear tires at 6/32 because I wanted a taller size for better looks and the fronts still have 7/32. Seem to be wearing like iron.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,432 Posts
I've never heard anyone say that about the PSS. I've had the PSS on my SS since 1200 miles (it has 25k now) and I just replaced the rear tires at 6/32 because I wanted a taller size for better looks and the fronts still have 7/32. Seem to be wearing like iron.
Well, you heard it now. :geek: At age 66, I'm not new to running tires of all types, but I'm pretty sure the Passat and its unique suspension was a factor. I appended my initial post (last line), but certainly not a retraction to my past experience. I may well try the 4S in the hopes that I have better luck on the SS.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts