Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to move from high performance Michelin's (PS 4S+) to all weather tires and was planning to have Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires installed, however they don't fit.

Has anyone been in the same situation? What did you select and how's that worked out?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Why would you want to do that? The P4S is one of the best street tires available. All seasons on a sports car are dumb in my opinion. They aren’t as good in the dry as summer tires, they aren’t as good in the wet as summer tires (this will trigger some people, go look on Tirerack reviews), and they aren’t as good in the winter as winter tires. If you get snow then get snow tires on a second set of wheels.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ah yes, good old all-seasons, jack of all trades, master of none. That said, the Michelin Pilot AS3+ are actually as close as you’ll get to summer tire performance in an AS tire, better than some actually. I believe you can run the AS3+ in a 285/35-19 rear tire to maintain the XL load rating. The new Goodyear Exhilarate is another top AS choice. Many will swear by the Conti DWS06 but those have been proven to lean more towards the cold wet/snow performance side while sacrificing dry grip and steering precision. If you don’t see snow where you’re located the only benefit of AS tires is tread life.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The problem with summer tires on a DD where I live is that you kind of need three sets of tires to run them. "No season" is exactly what we have for four months out of the year. 28 degrees and some smow or 70 with or without rain. Who knows?

I bought a dedicated set of snows with wheels upon purchase of the SS and the first couple of years it was a tough decision of exactly when to change over. When I got a bulge in the sidewall of the original Bridgestones, the only acceptable replacements I could find for next day install (including summers) were the DW06. Initial turn in is not quite as sharp but overall a pretty good tire unless you're going to a track. Noise and ride are significantly better than the "stones" as well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate all the input as I want tires I can “drive on” at any ambient temperature and provide more tread life. No idea why Michelin says on their website they don’t make AS3+ for a 2016 SS, however they along with Tire Rack state such. If rcubed3dr is running them without issues then I’ll probably go that route. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The reason that Michelin says they aren’t available is due to the fact that the tires in stock rear size are not XL load rated. They don’t technically meet the weight carrying requirements for our car. Those who say all seasons don’t belong on the car probably don’t live in areas with long shoulder seasons, or have wide temperature ranges with little snow. I use the Conti DWS-06 year round and have a set of snows on separate wheels for when it snows or ices here. Quite happy with them. Yes, they give up some dry grip over summer tires, but I am not racing on the street and am happier with less noise and more comfort for highway driving.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I run DWS066's and love them. from where i sit with my car almost at 67K i wouldn't go any other way. I run summer on my S2000 which i occasionally drive near freezing with no issues either. Tires have come a long way in the past 5 years

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
CCieurzo is correct...the load rating was enough to push me towards trying the Conti DWS-06s for my SS sedan...I have Michelin A/S 3+ on another car and wanted them for the SS but no load rating match for the rear...

I've been happy with the Conti's for the year plus I've had them and can run them in whatever weather I please but my car sleeps for most of the Winter unless the rads are clear and I want to take it for a drive...

I've only owned two cars with Summer tires ('01 Corvette and the SS sedan) and the low grip in 40 degree weather (or colder road temperature) as well as the seemingly propensity for impact damage turned me away...

Choosing a good all season gets me most of the way there and I'm good with that...good luck with your choice...

Bill

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Summer tires (at least the Michelin PSS and P4S) perform just fine in well below freezing temperatures if we're not driving like it's the dead of summer on a race track. Would I want to drive them in the snow and ice? No, but all seasons are nearly useless in the snow and ice as well. I've driven in below freezing temperatures on PSS' for three winters. I've even driven it in the snow (fresh snow not after it sat overnight and froze to ice) twice because I had no choice and it did decent enough. I'm in GA so it generally doesn't stay in freezing temperatures all day long but it does happen.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had the Michelin A/S 3+ and they were very good summer performers...not so great in the snow, but manageable. Currently, I'm running the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus and they perform almost as good as the Michelins on dry pavement, but are much quieter and provide a much more comfortable ride...my favorite so far. I have no idea how many miles I'll get out of them, but they've been the perfect compliment to the stiff suspension on my '14, for the past several months.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
DWS06 tires worked well on my supercharged SS. Not the grip level of summer when warm, but usable in temps below 40 degrees which the summer tires were not. We recently had both 70F and below 20F from 1 day to the next, so summer tires here are really only OK for 5 months per year and that's if you stay down around 5000 feet. You can drive over a pass at 10,000 feet plus in June and get snow/ice/hail.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Summer tires (at least the Michelin PSS and P4S) perform just fine in well below freezing temperatures if we're not driving like it's the dead of summer on a race track. Would I want to drive them in the snow and ice? No, but all seasons are nearly useless in the snow and ice as well. I've driven in below freezing temperatures on PSS' for three winters. I've even driven it in the snow (fresh snow not after it sat overnight and froze to ice) twice because I had no choice and it did decent enough. I'm in GA so it generally doesn't stay in freezing temperatures all day long but it does happen.
Agreed, until it hits < 20-25 degrees (glass-transition temp for most summer tires) or so, at which time most of the manufacturers say avoid driving at all lest you crack/split the tread. Here in Central Texas we do get some freezing/below freezing days but I just drive appropriately and if there's frozen precip I don't drive the SS. But, I'm definitely not putting tires with inferior lateral/longitudinal grip characteristics (All-Seasons) on my car just a for a few days of the year, I'd go dedicated Winter/Summer sets if I lived in a cold/snowy region.

·
Registered
753 Posts
53,000 miles and three plus years on one set of Conti DWS-06. Living at 7000 ft in the NM Rockies a summer only tire is not for me. I have two 4wheel drive jeeps for snow that saves me from winter-summer tire swapping option. Temps often swing from teens to 50s-60s in a day or two. Will buy another set of Contis when needed.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I'm in Central IL. 80s-100s in Summer, -10 - 40 in the winter. Am now in my second winter with the OEM Bridgestones. They've done 27k miles, so they are needing changed.

Not ever had any problems with them in Winter. Just needed to be a little lighter on the go pedal when taking off/cornering. Only time I've had a real concerning slide, well, the only thing that would have gripped is a Zamboni. But driving on snow.. no issues. Driving well under 40F, no issues.

I am thinking of going with the DWS-06's as replacements tho. Primarily because I don't want to buy tires ever 20-25k miles.

P.S. Not only my DD, currently the only car of our household.

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
I ordered my AS3+"s from America's Tire (Discount Tire) and had no issues at all. Yes the rear load rating is slightly lower but not a concern for me.

Front: 245 /40 R19 98Y XL BSW
Rear: 275 /35 R19 96Y SL BSW

Had the old AS3 on previous vehicle and loved them. Good enough dry traction, excellent wet and black ice traction.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts