Chevy SS Forum banner

301 - 318 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is a forum for the Chevy SS Sedan imported from Australia from 2014-2017 not the Malibu. Not sure if anyone on here would have experience changing these.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sylvania Zevo are also a good bulb. I use the 194R red for the inner tail lights, and the 194A amber for the side turn signals. I don't believe Philips makes this size in colors.
Just letting you know that I recently found that they do make red 194s in the Philips line. I replaced the rear markers and brakes/ park lights with the Philips 194R and 7440R, respectively. They look nice and crisp. Eventually I'll do the turn signals, but I'm mulling over how best to do the hyper-flash mod, whether I use some integrated resistor bulbs on Amazon or do the tried and true, wired-in resistor. I just like to avoid cutting into factory wiring whenever possible.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Eventually I'll do the turn signals, but I'm mulling over how best to do the hyper-flash mod, whether I use some integrated resistor bulbs on Amazon or do the tried and true, wired-in resistor. I just like to avoid cutting into factory wiring whenever possible.
I eventually went with the JDM only Philips Ultinon Amber T20's for my turn signals. They are a smaller bulb than the built-in resistor types, and they angle the LED backwards at the reflector so it looks more like an OEM LED. For the rears I was able to get away with using a plug in resistor harness, but the fronts will require splicing a resistor into the factory wiring near where the connector plugs into the headlight housing.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I may have missed it since I’m on my phone but what is the deal with the brake lights? I ordered my bulbs from Vleds (listed as 7443/7440) and the bulbs won’t even go into the connector because the stock bulb is single filament... I thought they were a dual filament since they have tail light mode and brake lamp mode but that is obviously not the case.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I may have missed it since I’m on my phone but what is the deal with the brake lights? I ordered my bulbs from Vleds (listed as 7443/7440) and the bulbs won’t even go into the connector because the stock bulb is single filament... I thought they were a dual filament since they have tail light mode and brake lamp mode but that is obviously not the case.
Yes brake/tail is a single filament. Kinda weird. This makes it difficult to use LED replacement bulbs because the voltage difference between brake and tail isnt enough to make the LEDs noticeably brighter when you hit the brakes. I tried two different high end types and neither worked well. I decided it was best to keep the traditional incandescent bulbs in there for safety reasons. I dont usually like messing with brake lights too much. I want the person behind me to have no question about when I brake.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That stinks. I think the incandescent bulbs aren’t very bright in brake light mode so I was hoping the LEDs would make it more visible.

Which ones did you try?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
That stinks. I think the incandescent bulbs aren’t very bright in brake light mode so I was hoping the LEDs would make it more visible.

Which ones did you try?
I cant remember the name of the first set... its been a ahile. But I think it was like $80 or more for the two bulbs. They came with their own "ballasts" I think and had heat sinks on the bulb itself. They were super bright but you could hardly tell the difference between tail and brake at all.
The second wasnt really high end but they werent "Amazon or Ebay specials". They were Philips brand. They worked a little better, but still not as good as the stockers IMO.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I reckon I’ll just give up then. It would probably have to be a special bulb designed for the SS to work properly. I’m glad I didn’t spend more money ordering all the bulbs. The Vleds look so good in my truck, so much better than the LED bulbs I tried years ago when they were fairly new.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I reckon I’ll just give up then. It would probably have to be a special bulb designed for the SS to work properly. I’m glad I didn’t spend more money ordering all the bulbs. The Vleds look so good in my truck, so much better than the LED bulbs I tried years ago when they were fairly new.
Before I put in the Spyder LED tails, I had used a Philips-brand bulb in the stock tails. It was specifically a 7440 and had some reverse-firing LEDs so they filled the reflector like regular bulbs. They also had a noticeable difference between tail and brake intensity.

I can’t find my purchase history for them but I googled it and found them sold through Walmart of all places. They are super cheap too.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ah, I didn’t know Philips made that style, too. I had only seen the Sylvanias so that popped in my head based on your description. The price is similar.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm always a bit skeptical when I see anyone selling "break" light bulbs. :unsure:
Ha ha. I saw that.

Like I said, I didn’t buy from them but those were the bulbs I used and they seemed to work well for the little time I had them in.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The Philips ones are legit. I have been on a quest for over a decade to find good LED bulbs and I'm done with the garbage on ebay and elsewhere. The Philips ones are good quality and the contrast between park light and brake light are about as good as any OEM and the factory incandescent bulbs. I'll try to post a video.

Reactions: bboshart

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,987 Posts
Which bulb#'s?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The Philips ones are legit. I have been on a quest for over a decade to find good LED bulbs and I'm done with the garbage on ebay and elsewhere. The Philips ones are good quality and the contrast between park light and brake light are about as good as any OEM and the factory incandescent bulbs. I'll try to post a video.
That would be awesome. Thanks!

301 - 318 of 318 Posts