Chevy SS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Anyone have issues with bulbs going out constantly with LED's? the eyebrow bulbs, my tag bulbs, 3 interior bulbs. Ive purchased LED's from cheap non canbus all the way up to high end canbus and same result.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Anyone have issues with bulbs going out constantly with LED's? the eyebrow bulbs, my tag bulbs, 3 interior bulbs. Ive purchased LED's from cheap non canbus all the way up to high end canbus and same result.
I had this issue. Switched to Philips led's and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
LOL at all the "CANBUS-LEDs" out there, aka "LED that has an integrated load resistor to cause a large enough voltage drop that ends up drawing almost as much power and running as hot as a incandescent bulb". But I second Syclone in using the Philips LEDs as they seem to be working much better than any of the ones I've bought off the internet lately. Plus, my local parts store carries Philips bulbs, so it's easy to get replacements. If you can find the Xtreme Vision LEDs by Philips, they are an older, higher quality line than the newer Ultinon LEDs, but they're quickly being phased out everywhere. The Ultinons are still good though and some bulb numbers are available in "CANBUS" style as well. I have a pair of 921 Xtreme visions in the reverse lights and 194's in the license plate lights. I recently swapped the front "eye brow"/ accent lights to a white Philips Ultinon since the one of the amber cheapos I had installed started flickering. The only "errors" I get are a B3883 on a all system or BCM scan for the license plate lights, but I knew that would happen.

Edit: I clicked the link above that took me to WoodburyMan's post on 15 covering pretty much the same thing regarding CANBUS and the like, in greater detail.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sylvania Zevo are also a good bulb. I use the 194R red for the inner tail lights, and the 194A amber for the side turn signals. I don't believe Philips makes this size in colors.

·
Premium Member
14,391 Posts

·
Read Only
45 Posts
Trunk LED is confirmed to be a 42mm LED. Note that there are two styles of LEDs available though, a flat circuit board type and a round glass bulb type. You will want the round glass bulb type for the LED to fit.
Can we get a picture of this? I would like to see the difference in light. Truck seems to need more light to me.

//Nick
To be fair, the camera settings (ISO, exposure, etc) can affect the perceptive brightness in a photo. I did look at the light last night to see how it did in the dark, and it was considerably brighter than stock, albeit I do wish it could be even brighter. A major factor is the design of the lens, which is a frosted waffle type. The frosted finish helps diffuse the light evenly throughout the trunk, however it also lessens the effective brightness of the bulb.
So, on my G8 and now on my SS, I used a set of those cheap stick-on DRL LED strips they sell at Walmart for like $20. Stripped the wire ends, paired the +/- from each strip and crimped on two male blade connectors. Ran the wires through an 8mm hole right next to where the stock light goes. The blade connectors plug right into the existing harness. Peel-n-stick the strips leading out from the 8mm hole. Some might think that the amount of light is excessive, but it's really nice when you're in there looking through a bag or something.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll post some pics.

·
Read Only
45 Posts
Low Beams: D3S HID style, NOT LED's. 6000K White, order 1 set (2 bulbs): D3S HID Bulbs - AUDI A4 A5 Q5 Q7 Xenon HID Headlights | HID Light Bulbs
To get at these, I had to remove my front wheels and unscrew screws and one or two snaps to pull back the wheel liner to access these. Once you get the cap off, you will need to remove two philips screws holding the retainer bracket in. Highly suggest magnetic screwdriver! Connector is hard to get back on, and you may need someone with a small head/hands to get in, and some tough love. Do same time as Front Blinkers, optionally Fogs. DO NOT TOUCH THE HID BULBS WITH YOUR HANDS. The grease from your hands will damage the bulb. TAKE EXTRA CARE when installing these!
Awesome work and excellent writeup. I did a complete conversion on my G8 and absolutely loved it. Can't wait to do the SS. Thanks to your effort, I know exactly what I need to get it done.

The link you provided for low-beam HIDs has since been broken so searched Amazon for HIDs with similar description. I found these [link] and these [link]. Do you think that they'll be ok?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,987 Posts
I don't think there is one for the visor. I took it apart and the bulbs appear to be part of the lamp. I took it apart after I replaced them on my Cadillac, whick worked out great. So, I thought the SS would be similar,...it isn't. In fact the light is part of the visor.

281 - 300 of 318 Posts