Chevy SS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
For anyone with a sunroof that want's a visual tutorial, pop the panel out (working from the rear with a removal tool) with the sun roof switches. Then, remove the hex screws behind the sunroof switches. Finally, the trim tool to pull/pry from the front to drop the entire overhead console as shown in this video.

It says VE, but they're the same as VF.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Is it just me or was he pulling the console from a non sunroof? Is it done the same???? I'm kind of slow so be kind to old guy... :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I installed LED bulbs in my SS yesterday and took some pics that may help people out. I hope this helps. First, I installed the front dome/map lights by using a trim/molding tool at the FRONT facing the windshield to gently pry it loose from the roof, second, (See pics) I used pry tool to open up sunroof switches panel to get to the hidden torx screws that will allow you to pull the whole panel to get to the bulbs with ease. Once you get the panel down just turn the little knob to access bulb. Be sure to check polarity on bulb before reinstalling the panel back because it matters. I used Canbus LED's from Amazon that worked perfect with no issues at all.

Then I installed the rear LED's by gently prying down the panel from the front (facing windshield) to get to the bulbs. Again, check polarity before reinstalling panel. The rear is very easy to get to and should not take longer than 5 mins to install. (see pics)

The LED bulbs made a huge difference and i'm glad I did it. I'm not the best at explaining things so if I can help or answer any questions please let me know...

IMG_6777 by Steve Lanier, on Flickr

IMG_6776 by Steve Lanier, on Flickr

IMG_6775 by Steve Lanier, on Flickr

IMG_6779 by Steve Lanier, on Flickr
Rear lights

IMG_6780 by Steve Lanier, on Flickr

LED's I used
IMG_6764 by Steve Lanier, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,432 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: bourmb and 05on20s

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am in the process of writing them for more information myself, specifically about the turn signals as I have the Australian clear lenses, and would need amber turn signals. I only provided the info, because I too was thinking that I wish a vendor had a package all ready tested and ready to go, and came across this company. I know that there are a few threads where individuals have done the swap and posted, and there is another company out there with a package as well, and I found them once, but haven't found them again. They are American made products too.... If I find it again, I will post it....

I bought these but they need a 7440 resistor harness to not hyper-flash.

PHILIPS Extreme Arutinon LEDT20 Amber WY21 T20

I had been running the bulbs with the built-in resistors, but they are long and I don't like the way they lit up the housing for the rear turn signal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for this edit and new light option. So, the front parking lights do not need to be Canbus?
Sorry, delayed response! Nope they do not need to be CANBUS.

Reactions: stantheman

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is the MaverickMan Kit. I haven't installed them yet but I'm confident they will work just fine.

• Standard, 150 lumens (7440 Bulb)
  • PlaZma, 420 lumens (7440 Bulb)
  • NB Series, 450 lumens (7440 Bulb)

BTW, I'm considering the Spyder Tail Light Assemblies and to swap the turn signal bulb(s) with one of three Lumen LED options.
I've been meaning to get myself a set of the MavMan license plate LED's. They have better coverage than the LED bulbs and you dont get a dark spot in the middle of the plate.

·
Registered
2017 SS, 2018 Camaro LS/RS
35 Posts
I searched this thread, and I'm not sure if I found what I was looking for. Is it true that the only resistors needed are for the front and rear turn signal bulbs? I swapped the domes out without using resistors and have no issues with those. I think one post said that the license plate bulbs need resistors as well??

·
Super Moderator
7,498 Posts
I searched this thread, and I'm not sure if I found what I was looking for. Is it true that the only resistors needed are for the front and rear turn signal bulbs? I swapped the domes out without using resistors and have no issues with those. I think one post said that the license plate bulbs need resistors as well??
Got this back from post #150:
"*EDIT* 05/01/2017 Require CANBUS for both rear and front MAP lights, originally only posted front needed CANBUS. After ~year some extra voltage was making my rear maps stay lit."

·
Registered
123 Posts
I put regular LED bulbs in my license plate lights, MY 2106, and get a bulb out warning from OnStar.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,432 Posts
See my post 264

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok everyone, I searched the forums and could never find an answer.

What would cause the so called Beauty lights on the headlights to not work? It’s the little line of light from the turn signal to the headlight. Is it a fuse? If so which one? Any info would help
Take out the part that holds them and put them back in rotated 180 degrees. Worked for me, maybe for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beware of LED front parking light globes without mechanical strength = those relying on/held together with solder connection only. After 1 hour the front LEDs fell apart inside my light fittings leaving just the slide connector removable (now unable to find or retrieve the head).
I bought these - unfortunately a bad move. Heat is obviously a problem with this globe design.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-CANBUS-T10-Wedge-5SMD-Parker-Number-Plate-LED-Bulbs-W5W-194-168-131-WHITE/182834293093?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
"Front Parking Lights: T10/194 Style, 6000K white, order 1 set (2 bulbs): Super Bright High Power 168 2825 W5W LED Bulbs For Parking Lights
Easiest bulb to change out, can be reached from under hood super easy, far right or far left hand corner, socket unscrews, pop new bulb in."

FYI, I swapped these in and they fell apart...literally, the bulb lens came off of the bulb on both and the contacts broke off. I don't know where the bulb lenses are...probably at the bottom of the cavity in the light housing. I would definitely not buy these again! I may try the Sylvania option.
Reviving an old thread, but the same thing happened to me. The lens falls off and the LED fails. I paid $20 for two bulbs. These particular bulbs from iDJMtoy are garbage.

Caveat emptor

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Does anyone have a list handy of the bulbs that need to be of CAN-BUS type?

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
261 - 280 of 318 Posts