Chevy SS Forum banner

Aftermarket/used donut spare wheel/tire?

31K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  GXPaycheck 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying an SS from local dealer stock. I might end up without the spare wheel option. Does anyone know the sizing and/or a source of a regular donut temporary spare wheel & tire? I wonder if a G8 one would fit.

#6 ·
Check the Owner's Manual - it tells it just like Doug says.

Chevy Vehicle Manuals and Videos | Owners Manuals | Chevrolet

Select SS - download PDF of manual or look at the print version

Pg 10-55

This vehicle may come with a jack
and spare tire or a tire sealant and
compressor kit. To use the jacking
equipment to change a spare tire
safely, follow the instructions below.

Funny they still have the language in the OM about the spare being good for 70 MPH.

Pg 10-68

After installing the spare tire on the
vehicle, stop as soon as possible
and check that the spare is correctly
inflated. The spare tire is made to
perform well at speeds up to
112 km/h (70 mph) at the
recommended inflation pressure, so
you can finish your trip.

To me, the manual should also state that in addition to stopping to check pressure, the other step(s) should be to verify correct wheel nut torque and to ensure TPMS is indicating the replacement/spare now in use properly. It does that in a back-handed way, I suppose, but I'm surprised it's not more detailed in nature.

#9 ·
G8 N65 spare - 17x4

SPARE WHEEL. Fits: 2009 Pontiac G8 4 DOOR Gas 8 Cylinder 6.0L (w/Cylinder Deactivation) | Tonkin Online Parts

GM 92214938 & 92199316 (retainer)

GM PART # 92214938
CATEGORY: Wheels
PACK QTY: 1
List Price $226.69
Dealer Cost $140.09

(no tire)
Wow and with no tire. Do we know if that will even fit the front of an SS? I would think another option would be to consider an inexpensive full size wheel and tire as a temp.
And of course check with Tire rack and others for possible options.

#11 · (Edited)
A word of caution about using a used wheel/tire for your spare. Know the true condition of the tire before placing it in the trunk and I mean inside and out. We learned the hard way last week when my wife bent one of the 19" G8 wheels and needed to use the "used" G8 wheel/tire that I bought for a spare to make it home. She made it about halfway home and the tire blew. I should have known better... (see Bridgestone Potenza thread). Sure enough, the tire on the spare was a Potenza. The tire was so rotten on the inside that it was pouring rubber powder out from the separation along the sidewall. Lesson learned on my part. Be careful with what you choose for a spare.

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Auto part

Potenza thread
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension/4697-bridgestone-potenzas.html

#12 ·
Nobody makes a spacesaver spare that fits over the Brembos. If they did, my GXP would have one!

#13 ·
I believe they say now that tires should be replaced after ~6 years. I know it's really tough to do on my RV because they always still have a ton of tread left and they're expensive but the sidewalls start to show cracking.
I think with a spare, you might get by with more time as long as you don't use it much if you have to use it.
The manufacture date is stamped on the tire, I think it's 4 numbers after D.O.T., the first two being the week and the last two being the year of manufacture. If it were made today, it would probably be 5113 or 5013.

#16 ·
Has anyone tried putting a non-OEM spare tire in the compartment?

Is the space for the spare the same as cars that included the full size spare option?
Did you have any problems getting it to fit?
Were you able to secure it in the compartment?
Where did you put the tire sealant kit?
Did you find a jack that could fit in the compartment with it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.