Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running aftermarket radiators? Is our radiator the same as the Camaro SS radiator? If I buy an aftermarket Camaro radiator will it work?

·
Super Moderator
13,437 Posts
not a direct fit according to the online parts suppliers. SS and PPV same; Camaro - no

·
Registered
777 Posts
well i am sitting at just over 600rwhp in my daily driver SS and never seen it ever get high temps, stays rock steady no matter how spirited i drive. so i see no reason at this point to upgrade the radiator. why do you want to?

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Again for you new guys ...

Camaro does NOT equal SS.

:bangheadonwall:

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
:)Mabey the PPV radiator is HD, you know like on the Blues Brothers=Cop, motor, Cop brakes, Cop radiator.etc.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
When I got back to SoCal after driving my new 17 home from Michigan, last October, we (Me and the SS!) attended the first of many car shows, at Ruby's Diner in Redondo Beach!!! I actually posted this story last year!!

As soon as I parked in my spot, I was set upon by a group of guys from AU and NZ, who went a bit wild to see a Holden badged as a Chevy!!!!! They fawned all over the whole left hand drive thing!!!!! One of the guys spoke up and was actually a bit emotional, and told me that he was sad cuz he worked as an engineer at Holden until the last week of May, and was one of the first to be let go!!! I chided him about that and mentioned that while on the way back, through the 95 degree heat and humidity of the 2600 mile trek, I often found myself putting on a shirt over my T shirt, because the AC and Cooling were so efficient, and other than a very few peccadilloes I had with the car, I was certainly impressed with that feature!!!

He picked right up and proudly noted that they engineered these systems with the Outback in mind,,,, where it is frequently similar to Death Valley, in that it can get to over 120 in the shade,,,,, BUT,,,,, THERE AINT NO F'n SHADE OUT THERE MATE!!!! Hence the cars uncanny ability to climb through Death Valley,,,, up to the top of the Sierra,,,, in Summer heat,,,, WITH THE AC ON,,,, FULL BLAST, Pushin my toenails through the radiator, and a flannel shirt on over my T!!! The engine temp NEVER moved to the high side during that apx 100+ miles,, for me anyway!!!!!

:devil

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Warning!!! Lots of the aftermarket radiators.....Especially listen if you are an Automatic driver... We will no longer install an aftermarket radiator in a customer vehicle regardless of GM model unless the customer signs a waiver that we will not be responsible for leaks...Especially the poorly machined, ill fitting connections for the trans cooler. We have found that these mostly Asian aftermarket units will slowly loose transmission oil due to poor tolerances at the cooler connections until something starts slipping. Often goes undetected especially when half of your service customers park in a gravel driveway. We battle aftermarket extended warranty companies to use the factory parts and when they will not comply we offer the customer the chance to pay into a factory replacement... We try to educate the customer that it is not as simple as a hose clamp anymore. In my thoughts, though, it should be. Dont let price on this uber important component cost you a transmission...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Is anyone running aftermarket radiators? Is our radiator the same as the Camaro SS radiator? If I buy an aftermarket Camaro radiator will it work?
Why not just buy a SS one? Check Rockauto if you haven't yet. They usually have multiple options for everything.

·
Registered
394 Posts
RockAuto has the Spectra for 2 bills. I have had good luck with those, If the nipple broke off, how about tapping the hole for an 1/8" pipe thread brass nipple? I had to do that once and it worked great. BUT, there was enough meat there to tap threads and screw in the brass nipple. B.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah I'd look into getting a new SS radiator like SS_Scott said. It's probably the easiest fix in terms of installing it. Not necessarily the cheapest fix, but I'd try to do stock replacement first.

For those looking at this thread with additional cooling in mind, take a look at this link for more info.

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/184099-ultimate-na-track-cooling.html

Additional cooling is not needed for more power like reddeadg8 or driving in hot weather like ESindon, but it is very necessary for reliable road course racing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
the plastic nipple for the overflow/expansion tank broke off and i need to replace the radiator.
Bringing this back up.

Same happened to mine, dealership says on back order from GM. They looked more into it and found one 2000 miles away!

Hope it makes it across country in one piece and no damage.

·
Registered
668 Posts
RockAuto has the Spectra for 2 bills. I have had good luck with those, If the nipple broke off, how about tapping the hole for an 1/8" pipe thread brass nipple? I had to do that once and it worked great. BUT, there was enough meat there to tap threads and screw in the brass nipple. B.
I just looked at a Spectra online since I can’t get an OEM radiator for my leaky one under warranty, it’s been 3 weeks waiting for one to be found in stock......somewhere ......ugh.

See this thread............ https://www.ssforums.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/191637-then-there-were-none.html

·
Registered
668 Posts
Warning!!! Lots of the aftermarket radiators.....Especially listen if you are an Automatic driver... We will no longer install an aftermarket radiator in a customer vehicle regardless of GM model unless the customer signs a waiver that we will not be responsible for leaks...Especially the poorly machined, ill fitting connections for the trans cooler. We have found that these mostly Asian aftermarket units will slowly loose transmission oil due to poor tolerances at the cooler connections until something starts slipping. Often goes undetected especially when half of your service customers park in a gravel driveway. We battle aftermarket extended warranty companies to use the factory parts and when they will not comply we offer the customer the chance to pay into a factory replacement... We try to educate the customer that it is not as simple as a hose clamp anymore. In my thoughts, though, it should be. Dont let price on this uber important component cost you a transmission...
Sooooo, know where an OEM radiator can be found for 2016 M6?

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Sooooo, know where an OEM radiator can be found for 2016 M6?
I show no stock for your radiator from GM at this time. I do show 3 dealers that have one in stock. Possibly your dealer could arrange to purchase one of these units.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I show no stock for your radiator from GM at this time. I do show 3 dealers that have one in stock. Possibly your dealer could arrange to purchase one of these units.
Dealer has been searching. Found one last week and that dealer canceled the order.

I talked with the parts manager I’m dealing with today, he searched and found nothing. I’ll call him first thing tomorrow but he has the same search info as all dealers.

Also talked with Chevy customer care today, dealership already has been in contact with them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts