Chevy SS Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I wonder if you cut out the Xpipe and did a 3" H pipe if it would mitigate that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought my car new in 15' and, thinking I would never put headers on this one, installed a Borla S-Type axle back. Sounded excellent through the factory exhaust. Well, fast forward several years and I decided I wanted LT's. After reading multiple posts from many of you I had a feeling I would not be a fan of the sound with the S-types but figured I could put a Borla touring on it and it would be good. I installed ARH LT's on the car with connection elbows that had the mini resonators ARH offers in place of the cats, hoping this would take the edge off. Idle and cruise were tolerable but it was too loud under acceleration and WOT was just obnoxious. The pops on decel sounded like a bunch of firecrackers going off behind the car. I figured "no problem, I will order the Borla Touring and all will be right with the world again". Well, as many of you probably know, Borla no longer offers it. I know some folks have installed the magnaflow 12469 in place of the X but I am afraid it would affect the flow. Plus, I am not sure that one is stainless and wanted to keep my exhaust all stainless. So, after reading about a couple of bullet installs I decided to give it a try. I wanted one as long as possible and it had to be stainless, preferably 304 SS. Vibrant had one but it was a little short and the reviews were not great. Ended up purchasing two magnaflow 14419 bullet mufflers. They have a 3” ID inlet and outlet with a 4” OD so I wasn’t sure how effective they would be. Also, they are 409 stainless instead of 304. 409 is not as corrosion resistant as 304 but is still better than carbon steel so I went with it. Welded them into the 3-inch straight section that comes after the X on the ARH setup. The difference is amazing. I actually enjoy driving the car again. It is still a touch louder than it was before the LT’s but the sound is pleasant, not spine tingling. Here are some pictures to explain it better since I suck at writing and this post is already wordy as hell!
20200820_125429.jpg
20200822_124722.jpg
20200822_152119.jpg
20200822_152130.jpg
20200822_152211.jpg
20200822_152306.jpg

·
Registered
515 Posts
I bought my car new in 15' and......The difference is amazing. I actually enjoy driving the car again. It is still a touch louder than it was before the LT’s but the sound is pleasant, not spine tingling. Here are some pictures to explain it better since I suck at writing and this post is already wordy as hell!
Post clips when you can. I have ARH to stock Bi-Modes. I find the sound to be too raspy at idle and cruising speed, and the start up to be too explosive. WOT I don't mind --- I like the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the exhaust. I just want to tame the rasp and the startup. I am leaning towards the Magnaflow muffled X like everyone else but curious about the bullets.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Post clips when you can. I have ARH to stock Bi-Modes. I find the sound to be too raspy at idle and cruising speed, and the start up to be too explosive. WOT I don't mind --- I like the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the exhaust. I just want to tame the rasp and the startup. I am leaning towards the Magnaflow muffled X like everyone else but curious about the bullets.
I started with long tubes to the bi-modes, but it was too raspy. Added the Magnaflow 12469 and still, too raspy, but deeper and more mellow. Just took the stock mufflers off altogether for some sound testing and it got rid of all the rasp. I think you could do bullets, but the stock mufflers will likely remain raspy. I ended up with Solos on the back end and no rasp.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No sound clips, but I've never really tried to upload a video from my phone before. Might give that a try to see if the sound quality is acceptable.
I'd be interested to hear how it sounds. I currently have JBA Long Tubes, no cats, into stock mid muffler, and 3'' Solo Axle Back. It's not the sound I was going for at all, and at WOT its just downright ridiculous! I don't mind a loud exhaust but I was expecting something a little more well defined.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will get a sound clip with my phone as soon as I can. No promises on the quality! It will probably be a week or so as I am right in the middle of a couple of other jobs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is a sound clip I took today. Had the exhaust about 6 feet away from the open overhead door of the shop and had my cell phone in the shop which was a mistake. The exhaust sound is reverberating inside the shop and it definitely effects the sound. Also wish I would have wrapped it out a little more. Now that I know what to do the next clip should represent a little better. I will try it again later.

Scroll down a bit for the first sound clip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
71Cuda I really hope you post some video of this lol. I'm in the exact same place as you and just about ready to copy your setup. Do you still have a muffler setup at the back after these MG 14419? I have the ARH 2", catless 3" with X Pipe to Solo axle back. They are better than my stock 14 cans but still pretty s****y sounding to me. Same complaints as you with the rasp and tin can sound.

·
Registered
68 Posts
71Cuda I really hope you post some video of this lol. I'm in the exact same place as you and just about ready to copy your setup. Do you still have a muffler setup at the back after these MG 14419? I have the ARH 2", catless 3" with X Pipe to Solo axle back. They are better than my stock 14 cans but still pretty s****y sounding to me. Same complaints as you with the rasp and tin can sound.
I have the Borla S-Type mufflers which I knew were going to be loud with long tubes. As I stated in my earlier post I was planning on getting the touring mufflers but Borla has discontinued them. I can tell you this car went from being almost undrivable for me with just the S-Type to being a total blast to drive with the magnaflow bullets. I think my next thing may be to try and tune out the decel pops. I know lot's of folks like them but they are still a little loud for my taste.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Borla S-Type mufflers which I knew were going to be loud with long tubes. As I stated in my earlier post I was planning on getting the touring mufflers but Borla has discontinued them. I can tell you this car went from being almost undrivable for me with just the S-Type to being a total blast to drive with the magnaflow bullets. I think my next thing may be to try and tune out the decel pops. I know lot's of folks like them but they are still a little loud for my taste.
Thank you, I appreciate your response. I ordered the magnaflows you used based off of all your advice. Hopefully those plus my current Solo axle back will provide the sound I want.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok
Thank you, I appreciate your response. I ordered the magnaflows you used based off of all your advice. Hopefully those plus my current Solo axle back will provide the sound I want.
No problem man! I hope it works out for you. I will point out that the Solos are probably even louder than the Borla S-Types that I have. I am not even sure they are a muffler. Seems like they use some sort of a tuned pipe to cancel out certain harmonics? Not sure as I have never seen or heard them in person. I know that KWBaraka, a member here, had Solos on his and even with a Magnaflow muffler (can't remember the model no. but it wasn't the bullets) thought it was still too loud. He has a fully built stroked and cammed NA motor though. He ended up swapping the Solos with a Borla Touring axle back, which, combined with the Magnaflow muffler completed his system and made it sound great. He is one of the reasons I was planning on replacing my S-Type with the Touring. No matter what though, the 14419's will be a nice addition to your exhaust and will certainly knock your dB’s down a bit and give it a nicer tone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
71Cuda, I had them put on today. I used your photos as a "template" and I must say I love it. Super quiet if you are nice with it. A slight rumble/bark if aggressive. Still rips if you mash it. No drone at highway 75 mph on cruise control. Deep and aggressive sounding from outside the car. My current setup is 2" ARH to their 3" mid pipes and x pipe with no cats to to Solo axle backs. I added the Magnaflow as per 71Cuda post. I love it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
71Cuda, I had them put on today. I used your photos as a "template" and I must say I love it. Super quiet if you are nice with it. A slight rumble/bark if aggressive. Still rips if you mash it. No drone at highway 75 mph on cruise control. Deep and aggressive sounding from outside the car. My current setup is 2" ARH to their 3" mid pipes and x pipe with no cats to to Solo axle backs. I added the Magnaflow as per 71Cuda post. I love it.
Happy to here you got it done and love it. They made my car a blast to drive again. Enjoy it Trip!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sound clips?

Im in the same boat, JBA Headers, no cats, to stock mid pipes and Solo Axle Back...... Sounds like a freaking old truck to me, I wanna clean up the sound. The only time it sounds good to me is at WOT and even then its Nascar loud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll try and get some clips this weekend. All I can say is it is a major difference in the quality of the sound. It sounds much deeper with zero drone on the highway. It is still pretty loud outside the car but if your dive normal it's almost hard to tell I am running 2" headers, x pipe, and no cats. It's a Jekyll and Hyde type deal. If I have one complaint, it would be that the downshifts with the paddles don't sound as aggressive to me. I would have done this setup from the jump if I had known better.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts