Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I’m interested in the Borlas also. With kooks and no cats I imagine I will have substantial drone just going into the bimodals. Nice choice. I’m sure I can get some input on how bad it will be inside the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ordered kooks headers, high flow catted mid pipes, and the magnaflow 12469 mid muffler (since I'll be using the stock 15 axlebacks). Everything should arrive and get put together in a few weeks, I'll post an update and try to get some sound clips if anyone is interested.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I ordered kooks headers, high flow catted mid pipes, and the magnaflow 12469 mid muffler (since I'll be using the stock 15 axlebacks). Everything should arrive and get put together in a few weeks, I'll post an update and try to get some sound clips if anyone is interested.

That'll be nice and quiet. I have the same headers, cats and mid-muffler. Originally I ran with the stock bimodal muffler, but the rasp was too much for me. Your 15 muffler should tame the rasp nicely though. I ended up with Solos at the rear and couldn't be happier. Startup in a parking lot attracts the right amount of attention, cruising around at low rpms is downright pleasant, but wide open throttle makes the 5.0 next to you think twice about what he just tangled with.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Video with the Borlas?

·
Registered
190 Posts
That'll be nice and quiet. I have the same headers, cats and mid-muffler. Originally I ran with the stock bimodal muffler, but the rasp was too much for me. Your 15 muffler should tame the rasp nicely though. I ended up with Solos at the rear and couldn't be happier. Startup in a parking lot attracts the right amount of attention, cruising around at low rpms is downright pleasant, but wide open throttle makes the 5.0 next to you think twice about what he just tangled with.

Any sound clips available? I currently run Kooks LTH, HFCs, and a Solo rear section with 2 glasspacks to tame the rasp. I'm considering dropping the glasspacks and replacing with 2 magnaflow mufflers at the rear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's what I'm going for. From what I was seeing, it seems like not using the mid muffler would be a little too much (especially with the 14-15 axleback).

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Any sound clips available? I currently run Kooks LTH, HFCs, and a Solo rear section with 2 glasspacks to tame the rasp. I'm considering dropping the glasspacks and replacing with 2 magnaflow mufflers at the rear.

No sound clips, but I've never really tried to upload a video from my phone before. Might give that a try to see if the sound quality is acceptable.

Any reason you wouldn't replace the glasspacks with Magnaflow bullets and just leave the Solos?

·
Registered
190 Posts
No sound clips, but I've never really tried to upload a video from my phone before. Might give that a try to see if the sound quality is acceptable.

Any reason you wouldn't replace the glasspacks with Magnaflow bullets and just leave the Solos?
I'm not sure the difference in sound between my current glass packs and the magnaflow bullets. After listening to some of their straight thru mufflers, I like the sound they produce. I'm thinking if I use one of the smaller models, it'll keep the volume just loud enough. If you can get those phone clips to upload, let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just finished my mods three weeks ago and have the same problem with sound. My set up is LSA supercharger, Stage two Blower cam, ported heads and supercharger, Kooks long Tube, green cat X Pipe.
I had a base tune put in so i could drive it to the tuner on Monday and at 50 MPH it is so loud inside so I need to do something or I will loose my hearing. Kooks Makes a Axle Back that is a bolt on replacement with twin tips #25106100. Has any one tried the Kooks and if so how do they sound. They are a bit pricey but if they work might be the way to go for me.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I did the 3" Magnaflow mid-muffler to stock 16 mufflers and the result was quieter than stock......!
Also did the 3" Magnaflow except I go threw the Borla Touring cat-back. Result is a tame/mellow tone but people STILL know it means business.

BTW....I had the Solo pipes at one point.....went two weeks with that set-up. I got a lot of compliments but the reality is that it was WAY too loud.

KW

·
Registered
190 Posts
Kooks Makes a Axle Back that is a bolt on replacement with twin tips #25106100. Has any one tried the Kooks and if so how do they sound. They are a bit pricey but if they work might be the way to go for me.

From the videos I've seen, they produce a very nice sound. I believe they are chambered mufflers and not straight through (if that matters to you). I just couldn't justify the price of the axle backs at the time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Also did the 3" Magnaflow except I go threw the Borla Touring cat-back. Result is a tame/mellow tone but people STILL know it means business.

BTW....I had the Solo pipes at one point.....went two weeks with that set-up. I got a lot of compliments but the reality is that it was WAY too loud.

KW
Were you running the 3" magnaflow WITH the solos? I currently run Kooks LTH with HFCs and solos...love the tone, but the volume is a bit too much.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Were you running the 3" magnaflow WITH the solos? I currently run Kooks LTH with HFCs and solos...love the tone, but the volume is a bit too much.
No....with the Stainless Works X-pipe.

But the Solos versus the stock mufflers.....the Solos were significantly louder....at idle, partial throttle and full throttle. The caveat to that is that my motor was already modded. But even the owner of the speed shop that installed the Solos warned me that my car was "way f'ing loud".

If you go with the Solos, be sure to have them clamped on....and drive like that until you're sure you want them welded.

Jus' sayin'.

KW

Reactions: a6d9cmro

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Kooks Makes a Axle Back that is a bolt on replacement with twin tips #25106100. Has any one tried the Kooks and if so how do they sound. They are a bit pricey but if they work might be the way to go for me.
Old videos, but here is the sound

I love the kooks axle back. I thought it was expensive at first but I have long forgot about the price. I had kooks long tube headers, catless connection pipes, kooks x pipe and factory muffs and I hated the sound, iirc that's when I made this thread.
I put the kooks axle back on and it really times it down. It's still loud but not as bad as with the stock muffs and it sounds good.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts

KW

Solo pipes with the Magnaflow mid-muffler?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Solo pipes with the Magnaflow mid-muffler?
Solos with the Stainless Works X-pipe.

My point is that if you have stock mufflers now and you go with the Solos, expect a significant difference.

Some people may (and do) like that difference. But as stated, I would recommend that you have them bolted on versus welded on....just in case you don't like the difference.

KW

·
Registered
57 Posts

The Kooks are finally in the car, but I opted to not put the mid muffler in yet and see how it goes for a little bit. My first reaction is wow, it sounds amazing now! It reminds of my 2017 Camaro with the NPP exhaust in track mode. Time will tell if I decide to quiet it down, but for now I like it as is.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Raising this from the dead. 5 months later and there must be more updates.

I'm on my third week after installing the LSA, ARH long tubes , catted, to oem bi-modal mufflers. Too loud when approaching 3k+rpm. It's super quiet with a great sound in Tour mode. I was surprised of the huge difference. Love that so much, that I can tame it to stock levels (or maybe slightly less) by choice. I won't get rid of it because of this. So I'm now considering getting rid of the tinny/raspy sound and I see that the only options so far are the Borla bullets or Magnaflow mid's. A deeper tone and less volume would be ideal.

It would be OK when racing- loud is good but when just driving normally and hitting 3k+ rpm it's irritating to look at the HUD and see 45mph in normal traffic. I then flip it to Tour mode which is awesome but then the suspension setting is too soft on King SSL springs (it's the bounce that then becomes irritating). Back to Sport mode and all is good but I have to almost idle everywhere.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Raising this from the dead. 5 months later and there must be more updates.

I'm on my third week after installing the LSA, ARH long tubes , catted, to oem bi-modal mufflers. Too loud when approaching 3k+rpm. It's super quiet with a great sound in Tour mode. I was surprised of the huge difference. Love that so much, that I can tame it to stock levels (or maybe slightly less) by choice. I won't get rid of it because of this. So I'm now considering getting rid of the tinny/raspy sound and I see that the only options so far are the Borla bullets or Magnaflow mid's. A deeper tone and less volume would be ideal.

It would be OK when racing- loud is good but when just driving normally and hitting 3k+ rpm it's irritating to look at the HUD and see 45mph in normal traffic. I then flip it to Tour mode which is awesome but then the suspension setting is too soft on King SSL springs (it's the bounce that then becomes irritating). Back to Sport mode and all is good but I have to almost idle everywhere.

man those longtube harmonics like right around 2.5k-3k are annoying AF, like normal then BRAPPPPPPP then normal on the way up.. lol fricken annoying.

Reactions: speedrye
41 - 60 of 76 Posts