Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for all the replies! Is there JBA raspy at all?
I loved the sound of my Corsa cat back, I wish I would have just connected it to the long tubes

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Livernois put in Kooks 1 -7/8 LTH with green catted X pipe, into Borla bullet mufflers, into the bimodals and the sound is great. So good in fact that I had PowerFab in Houston put the same setup in my OBM SS which hasn't had the Stage 2 cam done. I got the exact same sound minus the cam lope. PowerFab had never used the Borla bullets before but were impressed by the quality and the sound. It drops probably 10 db off the sound and definitely gets a lower tone minus the tinny effect that you get with headers straight into the bimodals. Under full throttle you really get a nice tone too and you don't blow your neighbors away or draw the man like you do with straight headers.

·
Supporting Vendor
561 Posts
Livernois put in Kooks 1 -7/8 LTH with green catted X pipe, into Borla bullet mufflers, into the bimodals and the sound is great. So good in fact that I had PowerFab in Houston put the same setup in my OBM SS which hasn't had the Stage 2 cam done. I got the exact same sound minus the cam lope. PowerFab had never used the Borla bullets before but were impressed by the quality and the sound. It drops probably 10 db off the sound and definitely gets a lower tone minus the tinny effect that you get with headers straight into the bimodals. Under full throttle you really get a nice tone too and you don't blow your neighbors away or draw the man like you do with straight headers.
This perfectly sums it up for what we see, and why we recommended that ;)

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I need to pull the trigger on the Borla XR-1's. To confirm, Borla part no. 40641?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I need to pull the trigger on the Borla XR-1's. To confirm, Borla part no. 40641?
Yep I believe those are the ones. They look like a stainless glasspack and have three tubes in the middle section when you look through them. I get plenty of complements on the sound of my SS's and the Livernois LME L92 Stage 2C-HL (high lift) cam is awesome too. That cam has a great lope and smooths out instantly when you get into the throttle.

The guy who is going to restore my '87 Buick WE4 was totally blown away by the sound of that cam and exhaust setup on my RPG SS. He sees lots of nice cars and makes more than a few $100K+ restomods each year. It is hard to impress him but he was, and so much he is thinking about it for his personal '68 Camaro restomod.

Reactions: DarthMalaguti

·
Premium Member
469 Posts

Do you have any sound clips of this set up? Thanks for the information in any case!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Do you have a sound/vid clip? If so, that would help.

I have the ARH full-system, but I have yet to install it. I already anticipate louder than desired results, and if that turns out to be the case, I would try the Solo resonator(s).

Sidebar: I considered the Magnaflow system, but I couldn't get their website to work for me; using Chrome or Safari. Apparently, their system is only available with 2.5-inch piping, and I wanted a 3-inch.
Which ARH did you get? I just got conformation that my huge ARH order is shipping today. For my car i'll go with with the 2" Long Tubes with Catless Long System and into the stock 15 mufflers. If its too loud, I will add 2 smaller mufflers somewhere in the middle to bring the noise level back down as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,432 Posts
Which ARH did you get? I just got conformation that my huge ARH order is shipping today. For my car i'll go with with the 2" Long Tubes with Catless Long System and into the stock 15 mufflers. If its too loud, I will add 2 smaller mufflers somewhere in the middle to bring the noise level back down as much as possible.
I opted for the 1-7/8 x 3-inch, with Cats, Full-System Exhaust - Mufflers. I was tempted to go all out with 2-inch Headers, but I was concerned with ground clearance. These will be fitted to my HARROP OTR CAI.

https://americanracingheaders.com/collections/chevy-ss/products/chevy-ss-2014-up-full-system?variant=29943894020

Attachments

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Do you have any sound clips of this set up? Thanks for the information in any case!
Nothing that really provides the character of it. I intend to make a video like that, in that spare time we never seem to have, and post it on You Tube. I just haven't done it yet. I'd promise to do it this weekend but I just hate breaking promises.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Nothing that really provides the character of it. I intend to make a video like that, in that spare time we never seem to have, and post it on You Tube. I just haven't done it yet. I'd promise to do it this weekend but I just hate breaking promises.
Post that video please! I'm getting close to having my car done and would love to hear what yours sounds like.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,432 Posts
How much lower do yo think the 2" primary tube headers will hang down?
Not a clue, and that's why I didn't try. In hindsight, I recall talking to someone and the answer was not readily available. It would be nice to know.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ive sold a few 2" kits to locals that are lowered on Kings Springs Ultra Lows and they have no issues with scraping on the ground...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not the best picture, but maybe it will give you an idea...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
98 LSC put a 2-1/2" dual in out MF X resonator then 2-1/2" mandrel bent 304 stainless back to two MF 3 chamber mufflers with dual tips. Sounds great a soft V-8 rumble with no drone on the highway. Next will be 3/4 Kooks with high flow cats. With the resonator the sound will not change much, i.e. only slightly louder, but not annoying. Ed

·
Registered
210 Posts

I'd like to see a pic or two of how these Borla bullet mufflers were installed. I'm about to go the same route. Just interested cause it doesn't look like it has an outlet pipe

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I'd like to see a pic or two of how these Borla bullet mufflers were installed. I'm about to go the same route. Just interested cause it doesn't look like it has an outlet pipe
I don't really have any pictures of that specifically. These two pictures show where the bullets are in the system and the front of them in a picture of the BMR tunnel brace mock-up. The tunnel brace had to drop slightly to clear the bullets but the final tunnel brace installation is not done with a stack of washers.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't really have any pictures of that specifically. These two pictures show where the bullets are in the system and the front of them in a picture of the BMR tunnel brace mock-up. The tunnel brace had to drop slightly to clear the bullets but the final tunnel brace installation is not done with a stack of washers.

Thanks! The Borla 40641 bullet muffler mentioned does not look like the product you have used here. I could only find a Borla 400938 bullet resonator that comes close. the 40641 does not have an exit pipe but the resonator is an inline affair.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
According to the Livernois build sheet they used BOR40641 2.5" XR1 Bullet Mufflers as did PowerFab when they copied the exhaust onto my 2017OBM.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts