Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had stock headers and cats and a Corsa cat back exhaust. It sounded awesome and deep.
I needed to upgrade so I installed Kooks long tube headers, off-road connection pipes, kooks x pipe to factory 14 mufflers.
I knew this would be louder but I'm really disappointed with how it sounds. It is too loud, I expected that but also it is not a deep sound. I don't know how explain it but it is not great in my opinion.
Since I knew it was going to be loud, I already thought about installing some resonators in the x pipe, after the crossover. Could installing some resonators in the 3" section of the x pipe make the sound deeper?
I searched this hard here so I know a few members have installed resonators and/or second mufflers after their long tube install. I'm hoping you can share some pictures and your experience on the sound/pitch change.

Edit:
Adding sound clip of first start with untuned cam
I don't like the way the exhaust sounds!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Corsa sport or extreme? Not much you can do with those mufflers. You can add a Magnaflow mid muffler and it will help but will still be loud. The best set up with headers for sound is the Magnaflow Cat back.

I went through 4 exhaust set ups to find that out lol.

·
Registered
332 Posts
@Dsmer1 The X-pipe is not going to be as deep as the H-pipe that you took off, ( if it was factory ) X-pipe is more like exotic sound, the H-pipe has a deeper muscle car sound. They both have their pro's n con's probably the most noticeable difference is the higher pitched sound, especially on a stock or bolt on car.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the Corsa cat back from a G8 on it, it sounded great. The Corsa system also had a xpipe. The Corsa system was removed and the kooks x pipe was installed and the factory mufflers.
I think adding resonators before the mufflers will help the sounds and the volume. I know there are a few people here that have done exactly this so I was hoping to hear their results and maybe see some pictures.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I did the 3" Magnaflow mid-muffler to stock 16 mufflers and the result was quieter than stock. I'm running the high flow cats after the Kooks though, so that probably quiets it down a bit more than your catless setup. Before the mid-muffler went in though, it was too loud, raspy, tinny, metallic sounding for my tastes. The Magnaflow mid-muffler did give the car the mellow deep tone I was looking for, it's just too quiet. I'm gonna swap the stock mufflers for Solos to get a bit of volume back and I think I'll be happy.

In the end, I'm torn. It's the daily driver, family car, and the exhaust is great for that. On the other hand, it's a friggin' LS3. It wants to be heard!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! When I searched I saw you mentioned it before so I was hoping you would chime in. Raspy, tinny, metallic sounding is a good description!
Did you do 3" resonators behind the x crossover before the neck down or did you do 2.5" after the x pipe completely? What length resonators did you go with?
It sounds like, in your opinion, the responses have you the deep sound back.
I want some volume, I'm think I'll add the resonators and if it is too quiet I'll do some electronic cutouts.
Do you have any pictures of the resonators you added?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I went with the Magnaflow 12469, so it's a full muffler, not resonators. I put it behind the X where it necks down. Since the muffler is a dual 3" in and a dual 3" out, I had to use reducers on the back side to neck down to the 2.5" exhaust. No pictures unfortunately.

The stock mufflers are still the problem since they're still back there. When they're disconnected, the car has a great deep sound though maybe a hair loud still. Connected again and I've got some metallic tinny sound again, though no rasp. The stock mufflers seem to be the biggest problem. Really need to ditch them and put on the Solos to see what happens. As mentioned above, it would've probably been easier to skip the mid-muffler and Solos and just get the Magnaflow catback. I'm a big fan of the Magnaflow sound on previous vehicles though, so I might be a bit biased.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to do a catback since I have the kooks x pipe. JBA makes a axel back that looks nice but I can't find any YouTube videos of the sound. That is another $600 also.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't want to do a catback since I have the kooks x pipe. JBA makes a axel back that looks nice but I can't find any YouTube videos of the sound. That is another $600 also.
A resonator will quiet it down some and possibly bring back some of the deep tone you are missing but to what degree is undetermined until you actually do it. It is a wait and see type of thing or should I say wait and hear type of thing.
I left the resonator in mine with the factory H-pipe and running a JBA axle back and I love the sound. JBA speed shop has the axle back for $482 and only $10.00 handling to get it to my door in Fl. It's very good quality and fit and is a little lighter than stock. :thumbsUp:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Duh, oops. I was thinking axleback, but yeah, they don't seem to have one of those...

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,438 Posts
Corsa sport or extreme? Not much you can do with those mufflers. You can add a Magnaflow mid muffler and it will help but will still be loud. The best set up with headers for sound is the Magnaflow Cat back.

I went through 4 exhaust set ups to find that out lol.

Do you have a sound/vid clip? If so, that would help.

I have the ARH full-system, but I have yet to install it. I already anticipate louder than desired results, and if that turns out to be the case, I would try the Solo resonator(s).

Sidebar: I considered the Magnaflow system, but I couldn't get their website to work for me; using Chrome or Safari. Apparently, their system is only available with 2.5-inch piping, and I wanted a 3-inch.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would first change the X to an H as that is the most reliable way to get it to sound deeper. If you wanted it deep sounding, you should have went with an H from the beginning. I am also not a fan of X pipes. The gains aren't worth it when it ends up sounding like an X pipe. As someone else said, putting resonators will change the sound, but you won't know how until you do it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I see a lot of threads that seem to indicate that headers themselves can make a car louder (with same exhaust). Does a change from the stock "log" type header to try-Y or long tube 4 into 1 header increase volume or is it the loss/change of cats and mid-pipe differences?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A resonator will quiet it down some and possibly bring back some of the deep tone you are missing but to what degree is undetermined until you actually do it. It is a wait and see type of thing or should I say wait and hear type of thing.
I left the resonator in mine with the factory H-pipe and running a JBA axle back and I love the sound. JBA speed shop has the axle back for $482 and only $10.00 handling to get it to my door in Fl. It's very good quality and fit and is a little lighter than stock. :thumbsUp:
You have the JBA axel back?!?! It looks nice and I like that it has true dual tips out of each muffler. Do you have a sound clip? How much did the volume increase over the stock mufflers? Hope is the tone? What year is your SS?
I talked to my tuner today and he said the sound is caused by these factory mufflers and it is always going to be like that with these mufflers. He said he is having the same problem with his brand new Camaro ss. (Npp exhaust).
Thank you

I would first change the X to an H as that is the most reliable way to get it to sound deeper. If you wanted it deep sounding, you should have went with an H from the beginning. I am also not a fan of X pipes. The gains aren't worth it when it ends up sounding like an X pipe. As someone else said, putting resonators will change the sound, but you won't know how until you do it.
The catback system I replaced was a x pipe and it sounded awesome!
It is too loud but I'm more concerned about the tone than the sound

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here is how it sounds, yuk!
I'll update the first post with the video
BTW, this is the first start with a BTR stage 3 PD cam, untuned. So the idle is a little choppy...

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
I did the 3" Magnaflow mid-muffler to stock 16 mufflers and the result was quieter than stock. I'm running the high flow cats after the Kooks though, so that probably quiets it down a bit more than your catless setup. Before the mid-muffler went in though, it was too loud, raspy, tinny, metallic sounding for my tastes. The Magnaflow mid-muffler did give the car the mellow deep tone I was looking for, it's just too quiet. I'm gonna swap the stock mufflers for Solos to get a bit of volume back and I think I'll be happy.

In the end, I'm torn. It's the daily driver, family car, and the exhaust is great for that. On the other hand, it's a friggin' LS3. It wants to be heard!
Just add a set of cutouts behind the cats (O2 sensors) and let 'er roar with the flip of a switch! :thumbsUp:

·
Registered
777 Posts
resonators will not help. at best they help as a last resort to clean up the volume and add a little deeper tone. I have Magnaflow and Vibrant resonators on my cars.

Go with the Magnaflow 12469 after the X pipe first.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,438 Posts
Here is how it sounds, yuk!
https://youtu.be/URuePjTzMGY
I'll update the first post with the video
BTW, this is the first start with a BTR stage 3 PD cam, untuned. So the idle is a little choppy...
Well, I have to wholeheartedly agree; that is some nasty-ass noise coming from that setup. Where is that samurai sword when you need one.:eek:hmy:

On the bright side; it is solvable! We have all had our share of failed experiments. That's just part of the mod hobby, whereby you are never done. BTW, next time you record a sound clip, you may want to wait until the car is outside the garage. The sound is bad - no doubt, but its also accentuated by reflective sound waves bouching off the nearby walls.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You have the JBA axel back?!?! It looks nice and I like that it has true dual tips out of each muffler. Do you have a sound clip? How much did the volume increase over the stock mufflers? Hope is the tone? What year is your SS?
I talked to my tuner today and he said the sound is caused by these factory mufflers and it is always going to be like that with these mufflers. He said he is having the same problem with his brand new Camaro ss. (Npp exhaust).
Thank you
My SS is 2015. I don't have a sound clip. I agree with you on the look of the JBA and dual tips and the sound and price are nice, not too loud, but definitely louder and deeper than stock with a nice rumble. I think your cam would sound nice through JBA's. IMO :thumbsUp:
Disconnect your stock mufflers start it up and see if it's the mufflers making it sound like it does. ( it's very easy ) I listen to your clip and yes it has an odd sound. No disrespect at all, love the cam lope though. :smile

Reactions: SaberOne
1 - 20 of 76 Posts