Chevy SS Forum banner

Adding Homelink....

227K views 986 replies 325 participants last post by  Redgt03 
#1 ·
I had added homelink to my visor in my G8 GT - I saved the visor when I traded the car in.

Here is a how to on adding the homelink to your visor:

Home Link Installed in Visor Complete! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

The gist is to find a homelink assembly - use a dremel to cut a square in the plastic visor assembly. Glue it down with some super glue - and poke 3 holes into the visor cloth to add the homelink button.

Tie in the 2 or 3 connectors on the Visor - and boom - you have a working homelink assembly.

The G8 visor plugged right into the SS visor - and now I have an option that should have came on the car:

Yes I know the visor is black instead of the beige color - this is a temp fix until I get get some paint made up to paint the paint the button plastic surround - but for now it allows me to get into my garage without using the stupid clicker.

Or - I could just install the other sunvisor that is black as well - I bought a set for super cheap on ebay that I didn't mind cutting into. The SS being so new - I want to be able to return it back to factory - and no beige visors are out there.

See less See more
#2 ·
I installed a Homelink V kit in my SS and put it forward of the Sunroof controls. The installation came out cleaner than I expected. I was able to pick up a NIB kit on ebay for ~$160, and it came with the gray, tan and black bezels for the headunit. The gray matched up spot on with the factory trim.

#6 ·
Snakey has offered to do these for us, but the color of the units don't match our visors.
Nice job putting it on the overhead console.

#9 ·
....the color of the units don't match our visors.
Black is a "universal" color--otherwise, SEM paint should be able to cover the black bezel with the correct color or a very close approximation.

The SS being so new - I want to be able to return it back to factory - and no beige visors are out there.
Do it right! The trim color is Titanium. LH is PN 92293750

GM PART # 92293750
CATEGORY: Windshield Sunshade

List Price:$110.93
Dealer Cost:
$70.55

#33 ·
The Visor cost WAY WAY MORE than the plastic overhead console.

The Console in my Cadillac up there is $20-30 and the visor is $183

This is NOT a mod that would take away any value from the car in the first place as I am sure if you ever sold or traded it in the next owner would love it as well.

#11 ·
If ya'd waited out/shopped around, this seller on ebay Grey Gray Homelink Rolling Code Universal Transmitter Tested | eBay defiitely had a winner, $19.99 incl shipping and turned out to be a great grey color match on the visor.

The modded visor was installed today on my SS. If this color hadn't surfaced, then a black covered visor homelink mount on the BACKSIDE of the visor would work - a stealth homelink!

Reactions: z51vett
#15 · (Edited)
Nice find!
There are writeups in the G8 world as well, and the G8 units are very similar.

#17 ·
Pics!
Snakey does great work!

Reactions: airboss63
#19 ·
I bought the unit off ebay from the link above and started to do it myself and then stopped....sent it to him after that...but yes it does match perfectly. I will post a photo of it on the facebook group when I get home this evening

#20 ·
Please post one here for us non-butbook people!

#22 ·
You can PM him from the forum at GRRRR8.net.

#30 ·
I have looked around on ebay and only see used items. Anyone have a link to where you could purchase a new unit to be installed in the visor. Before I spend a ton of time looking - I thought I would ask in case anyone here has a link handy.

Thanks in advance.

#32 · (Edited)
Bought a new visor and a grey homelink unit off Ebay (about $25) and sent them to Snakey (Ryan). About $70.

If he were to supply a homelink unit it would be about $110.

Great work, looks and works great.

No need for a picture as you can see what it looks like with the pics earlier in the thread.

#35 ·
Timbers, that looks to be the same as in post #25 of this thread. You might PM 'nothanks' to ask if he knows the right color name. :)

#36 ·
Timbers, I have a black one if you want to match the interior color. I could send it to you and try it. If you like it then buy it. $25.

Dwight

Attachments

Reactions: Pinetree
#39 ·
View attachment 22737

This is the color of my interior. Is that grey?

My seats and dash are black. I think I will look for a grey bezel before I go with black. Thanks though.
Your pic (I viewed on large screen PC monitor) is an accurate color rendition of the visor and headliner material: it's grey. Your pic also shows the extremely slight, grey color difference on the plastic overhead trim vs. the cloth. I feel this is mostly brightness off the smooth, trim surfaces. The proper grey bezel will color match the SS overhead trim grey color.

Regarding the seller's link: Given the rather unusual description of the item (stating 3 colors) and his color pic appearance, I wouldn't know what actual color he's selling there. If you're going to make further inquiries with that seller, hit him with you pic + mine to promise you a color match of GREY!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.