Chevy SS Forum banner

Acid Rain - GRRR

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  6SpdManualSilver 
#1 · (Edited)
Need advice from anybody who has dealt with ACID RAIN etching the clear coat on their rides. How did you resolve it?

I have recently compounded with fairly aggressive Menzerna and Adam's products as I want to apply ceramic coating BUT under the bright lights I could see where the acid has affected the clear coat... GRRR

Did not know how "soft" the paint is on these cars or I would have coated when I initially bought it in 2015 -

:crying

#3 ·
Top panels only (hood, roof, trunk, tops of fenders, doors and quarters) - the shapes of the etchings appear similar to rain drop patterns...

#4 ·
#7 ·
We don't have an Acid Rain problem here, you more than likely have sun damage.

What products from Adams are you using?

Correcting Compound and Finishing Polish... sun damage - maybe, so what can done to guard against that? Only thing I know is to keep it parked in a garage...

#9 ·
Paint is pretty **** hard for a modern vehicle.

Least abrasive method next.

I'd try microfiber cutting pad with Meguiars M105. The Adam's doesn't offer near enough cut.

As a professional, my next recommendation is to wet sand. That should get it. I suggest a professional.

For what you can do after? Make sure you have a good sealant/wax, or even better, ceramic coating. Also, address any contaminants as soon as possible.

#10 ·
Be careful. If its indeed etched, regardless of how it happened, it won't polish out - and the more you try, the bigger problem it'll become.

I'd like to say wet sanding will help, but again, its all about the damage itself - I've seen bird droppings etch completely through clear & stain the color base.

If you get it out - and I really hope you do - best protection will be layers of sealant. Aggressive sun, acid rain, bird drops etc will eat right through carnuba.

Being red, you're finish would look hot with layers of sealant topped with straight carnuba - but again, make sure sealant is your base, for protection.

Good luck - look forward to hearing you got it fixed & all is good!

#11 ·
M105 & M205 is the bomb.

I have a mix. Adams is definitely not hard enough...i saved my friend a huge lease return fee on every panel with 105/205 etc

My avalanche is a pain in the arse and I took out quite a few marks.

#12 ·
So fresh AND So Clean

My RH2 did need to be wet sanded, unfortunately, had a professional detailer work their magic then applied SB3 ceramic coating over entire car = looks like brand new the day I bought it off the showroom. Now I have to allow it to "cure" for a few days / can't wait to drive it again.

#13 ·
Just saw this....

Just saw this on YOUTUBE in my sub box. I did not watch the video yet. However, I remembered something about water spots/ acid rain etc and thought I would share it while it was on my mind. You have probably resolved it by now (I hope) if not, then here is something or some info that may help? Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.