Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Wondering if any of you have some insight into what might be going on with my 15' SS 6MT. I changed my oil about 3500 miles ago and decided to check my oil today on a whim. It was reading BELOW the minimum line which terrified me. However, because of the odd design of the dipstick on this motor and the trouble I've had with getting a proper reading in the past, I thought maybe I was getting a bad reading. To boot, a tech at my last dealer oil change forced the dipstick in and bent it, so I also surmise that it may not be reaching the bottom of the sump. However, I checked my oil shortly after that oil change with said bent dipstick and got a perfect reading of 8 quarts.

I put 3 quarts in since the gas station I checked it at is right next to a NAPA (I was clearly thinking with my [bent] dipstick, Jimmy) of the same Royal Purple 5W-30 as my last change. After two quarts it was reading slightly above the the halfway point on the hash mark and after the third quart is reading right at the top point of the hash marks.

Now, what would possibly have caused an LS3 with less than 20,000 miles to burn 3 quarts of oil in 3500 miles? I've heard of oil consumption on high revving BMW V8's and turbocharged motors, but nothing like this. I am pretty confident the dipstick isn't the issue since the tube straightens it out, and that I've gotten a good reading with it before. The only thing I can possibly think of is that since my car was a CTF (Certified Test Fleet) car, that the motor wasn't broken in properly by whoever took delivery, and the rings have a bad seal and there is massive amounts of blow-by. However, I have never smelled burning oil from this motor at all, neither in the cabin nor under the hood.

My next question is, how the **** didn't this motor kill itself if it was running three quarts low? Are LS3's really that tough? I enjoy this car to its full potential to say the least. If this issue has been persisting, how has it lasted this long without breaking some major internal component?

Furthermore, if my motor is burning this much oil (as I plan to change it tomorrow or the next day, get a baseline, and then measure consumption over the following 500 mile intervals up until I am due for a change or I burn off enough to need to add more) do I have a case for a warranty claim of some sort?

I plan to take a sample of this change and send it to Blackstone to see if any serious damage was done by the excessively low levels of oil during operation.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Not sure about what is going on but I thought I read somewhere that this motor tends to consume oil.

·
Registered
64 Posts
my new 16 6speed used no oil up to the first oil change (3000 miles) , however i never "excercise" until it is fully warmed up . , at first change paid for upgrade to UPF ac delco filter and mobil 1 , have you checked for leaks ? , seems they had some problems with normal ac delco filters ...

·
Super Moderator
5,406 Posts
After two quarts it was reading slightly above the the halfway point on the hash mark and after the third quart is reading right at the top point of the hash marks.
I would wonder if the person who bent your dipstick put in a different one. As far as I know, the hash marks represent one quart, top being full, bottom being one quart low. If one full quart only raised the level half of that parameter on the dipstick I'd wonder why.
I don't think you've been running three quarts low, at least not for long. The LS3 is that tough, but you would have had indication of some sort prior to that. What that indication would be I can't speak to, perhaps Wiseman or CB or someone else will chime in. Keep us informed as you move forward!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it's the same dipstick because it still has a kink in it. And it wasn't just below the bottom of the hashed area with the three indentations, it was below the LOWEST indentation mark, near the bottom of the dipstick.

I'm just as confused as you are. There's no way it could've run this well, this long, with NO signs of any issues (no lights under heavy acceleration or braking, even). I'm thoroughly rattled. Thanks for your input 15SS, hopefully they will chime in!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go to your dealer for the oil consumption issue. They will top off your oil,and ask them to start an oil consumption test. You will need to bring it back when it is either 1qt. low, or 1K miles. You will do this a few times so they can verify it is consistently burning oil. This is the only way to get it covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Some have reported service not filling to specification, not accounting for oil cooler...!
You can hope it's something that simple. Hope not damaged and you might want to get
oil tested for excessive metals.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To all saying to replace bent dipstick: I hardly doubt that is the issue, as I was able to get a proper reading from it after this oil change. I have ordered a replacement however. The motor takes 8 quarts per the manual, this forum, the Holden forums, and what have you, so I don't believe under filling is the issue, as I watched the oil I brought to my mechanic be poured into the engine. As for checking oil, you always check it hot (how else would you be able to check it on a road trip while filling up, or moreover, at the racetrack?) NEVER cold. You still need to let the oil settle to the bottom of the sump, removing the stick and the fill cap allows for this to happen much faster by eliminating vacuum, and I did this.

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts
1- Bent stick means reading is suspect.

2- Bottom of stick to full mark is <3 quarts.

3- Even with fill cap cracked all the oil has NOT drained into pan because LS3's drain down really slow.

4- Oil does not expand like coolant so hot vs cold is a fallacy.

I check my oil cold in the morning after it has sat overnight. I suggest you do the same to get a true reading. Shutting it off and checking 5 minutes later will give you a false low but nowhere near 3 qts.

I think you overfilled it; but with a bent dipstick you can not get an accurate reading.

Why did you not get the dealer who changed the oil to replace the dipstick they damaged ??? You break it you buy it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The only Chevrolet I'm aware of that shouldn't be checked cold is a dry sump 6C Vette. New dry sump Vettes may be the same, but I've never had the pleasure of overfilling one of those due to checking it cold. Other than that, as stated above, there's no more accurate way to check a wet sump motor than when it's stone cold.

And yeah, on a cold start, I let it idle just a few seconds and drive low rpm/low load until I see close to normal ECT's. Still don't hammer it for quite a while after that until I feel the engine oil is up to operating temp.

·
Super Moderator
2,106 Posts
Go to your dealer for the oil consumption issue. They will top off your oil,and ask them to start an oil consumption test. You will need to bring it back when it is either 1qt. low, or 1K miles. You will do this a few times so they can verify it is consistently burning oil. This is the only way to get it covered under warranty.

Yes and Yes to this post.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Came to post this here. you beat me to it haha

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feel like I am beating a dead horse always saying this, run a better quality oil, and I can guarantee the oil you want wont be coming from the dealership.

my opinion, Amsoil. we run dominator 5w20, in both our LS3 and my dads cammed and sprayed 5th gen LS3, its break in was a big fat burnout leaving the dealership with 6 miles on it... oil was changed to amsoil dominator 5w20 when I put the camshaft in it at 300 miles, its got over 9k on it now and still rips and uses not even half a quart on its yearly oil change, roughly 3k miles, HARD miles... with the stock PCV system in place...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hey all,
Wondering if any of you have some insight into what might be going on with my 15' SS 6MT. I changed my oil about 3500 miles ago and decided to check my oil today on a whim. It was reading BELOW the minimum line which terrified me. However, because of the odd design of the dipstick on this motor and the trouble I've had with getting a proper reading in the past, I thought maybe I was getting a bad reading. To boot, a tech at my last dealer oil change forced the dipstick in and bent it, so I also surmise that it may not be reaching the bottom of the sump. However, I checked my oil shortly after that oil change with said bent dipstick and got a perfect reading of 8 quarts.

I put 3 quarts in since the gas station I checked it at is right next to a NAPA (I was clearly thinking with my [bent] dipstick, Jimmy) of the same Royal Purple 5W-30 as my last change. After two quarts it was reading slightly above the the halfway point on the hash mark and after the third quart is reading right at the top point of the hash marks.

Now, what would possibly have caused an LS3 with less than 20,000 miles to burn 3 quarts of oil in 3500 miles? I've heard of oil consumption on high revving BMW V8's and turbocharged motors, but nothing like this. I am pretty confident the dipstick isn't the issue since the tube straightens it out, and that I've gotten a good reading with it before. The only thing I can possibly think of is that since my car was a CTF (Certified Test Fleet) car, that the motor wasn't broken in properly by whoever took delivery, and the rings have a bad seal and there is massive amounts of blow-by. However, I have never smelled burning oil from this motor at all, neither in the cabin nor under the hood.

My next question is, how the **** didn't this motor kill itself if it was running three quarts low? Are LS3's really that tough? I enjoy this car to its full potential to say the least. If this issue has been persisting, how has it lasted this long without breaking some major internal component?

Furthermore, if my motor is burning this much oil (as I plan to change it tomorrow or the next day, get a baseline, and then measure consumption over the following 500 mile intervals up until I am due for a change or I burn off enough to need to add more) do I have a case for a warranty claim of some sort?

I plan to take a sample of this change and send it to Blackstone to see if any serious damage was done by the excessively low levels of oil during operation.

Any input is appreciated.
The dipstick doesn't reach the bottom of the oil pan, it is suspended above it with the full mark at the proper level. Even 3qts low, it still has about 4 1/2 qts in the pan plus what's in the filter, that's plenty to keep you safe, because unlike the dipstick, the oil pump pick up tube should be about 1/4" to 1/2" off the bottom of the pan. When the oil level gets too low, the low oil level light will illuminate and probably give you an audible warning also. I believe your engine is probably OK.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts