Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,815 Posts
I like both. The bridge in the first, the water trough in the second. I prefer the first as it remains more true to the period with no paved roads or Ford utility trucks.

·
Premium Member
14,300 Posts
You gotta post a pic or you will be in violation of this forum.
She won't care .. :devil

Chevy SS Forum > Off Topic Section > Photography > Anything old Old

I don't have an old pic of her when she was a looker and posting a "now" pic would be just wrong. It is amazing how some never change after a few decades and others, well ...

·
Premium Member
14,300 Posts
USS Selma, concrete tanker built in 1919, scuttled in 1922. Concrete tankers were intended to replace steel that was in short supply after WWI. The hulls proved to be impossible to repair.
Rolling decks made this image compostion more challenging.
Today, it's a good fishing spot, notice fishing boat on left edge of the 420' Selma.
ISO-200
f/7.1
1/800 shutter
300mm (35mm equivalent = 450mm)

I have viewed this in person over the decades; almost gone now:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/6838

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
B-52 Stratofortress, SAC - Strategic Air Command

The B-52 took its maiden flight in April 1952. The Cold War Warrior joined the U.S. arsenal in 1954, eventually becoming part of a nuclear triad, along with strategic missiles and submarines. Boeing Co. produced more than 740 B-52s. The average age of the 75 B-52s currently in service is 55 years old.
At Cold War’s peak in the 1960s, the Strategic Air Command kept as many as a dozen nuclear-armed B-52s aloft continuously to provide an airborne deterrent against the Soviet Union. Operation Chrome Dome

The heavy bomber also played a role in President Richard Nixon’s “madman theory” to persuade the Russians that he was irrational and unstable, willing to launch a nuclear war to force peace talks to end the Vietnam conflict. In October 1969, Nixon dispatched 18 B-52s toward Russia, where they flew for three days, poking at Soviet air defenses in an exercise dubbed Giant Lance.

After the Berlin Wall fell, it slowly became an aerial jack-of-all-trades. With its long range, minimal operating cost and ability to handle a wider array of weapons than any other aircraft, it just didn’t make sense to get rid of it.
Under the Air Force’s current bomber plans, the B-52 will fly until 2050 — Two yrs shy of its 100th birthday. The B-52 can drop ordnance better than most others,” Ferguson said. “And hey,” she added, “it’s paid for.”

0 B52sdestroyed.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Thank you for contributing!
Please read the sticky at the top of this sub-forum:
SUGGESTIONS:
Let's use this thread for intros only.
Post your pics in another existing thread or feel free to start your own.
If you REPLY to a pic post, please delete the picture link from your reply so we don't have pages full of the same image repeating.
<snip>
Rolling decks made this image compostion more challenging.
Today, it's a good fishing spot, notice fishing boat on left edge of the 420' Selma.
ISO-200
f/7.1
1/800 shutter
300mm (35mm equivalent = 450mm)

https://i.postimg.cc/K8P4Wmch/USS-Selma.jpg[IMG][/quote]
I have viewed this in person over the decades; almost gone now:

[url]https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/6838[/url][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
B-52 Stratofortress, SAC - Strategic Air Command
The B-52 took its maiden flight in April 1952.
<snip>
View attachment 260055

Methinks the OP wanted us to post our own images in this thread, not intending it to be a history lesson replete with archive images.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Methinks the OP wanted us to post our own images in this thread, not intending it to be a history lesson replete with archive images.
Methinks that OP, going by past postings, is pretty smart and IF OP left it open to interpretation, we must abide and interpret cuz OP wanted it that way.

So far, postings adhere to OP's "Anything old Old" ...
And OP does have choices, in the mean time, I must assume its still "Anything old Old" ...

To me, old is over 20 yrs old,
old OLD is 40 yrs or more ...

:shrug:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Methinks that OP, going by past postings, is pretty smart and IF OP left it open to interpretation, we must abide and interpret cuz OP wanted it that way.

So far, postings adhere to OP's "Anything old Old" ...
And OP does have choices, in the mean time, I must assume its still "Anything old Old" ...

To me, old is over 20 yrs old,
old OLD is 40 yrs or more ...

:shrug:

Thank you for sharing and highlighting your creative skills with your B52 cut and paste. It was both informative and insightful.
To me, a photography thread is about photography. Military photography by Capa, Brady, Ford, Huston, Capra are worth studying. High school history book prints, not so much.

Old is fish caught last week.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
My thought for this thread was photographs taken by forum member in their travels of things that are old. As a member of the BMW motorcycle forum there is a thread for photographs of old things that the members have seen in their travels. The thread is, "Abandoned, Rundown, Forgotten." Now in retrospect I should have used the same wording instead of Anything old Old. This is in the photography section and I had no idea people would be supplying posters and pictures of old things. I will take the blame for poor wording but really this is the photography thread. Guess the BMW folks are a little smarter in figuring out what was needed for submission in the thread.
If I could I would change the title to Abandoned, Rundown, Forgotten, but I do not know how to change it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Edit the opening posting , then click GO ADVANCED,
then edit MAIN title.

Maybe, on 1st post edit, consider requesting: "Pics you took with your camera" ...

Tried that and could not see where to change main title.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Edit the opening posting , then click GO ADVANCED,
then edit MAIN title.
Maybe, on 1st post edit, consider requesting: "Pics you took with your camera" ...
I did that but it does not change the main title
It's weird, that works for me on some of the threads I started, but not all.
For my Carma thread, only the moderator has ability to change thread title of first post. Submit a request and see if that works.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
For my Carma thread, only the moderator has ability to change thread title of first post. Submit a request and see if that works.
I do not want to play anymore. I am going to take a nap.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
There may ADM applied forum by forum restrictions.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I do not want to play anymore. I am going to take a nap.
Thank you scooter for clarifying intent for threads in the Photography sub-forum that you catalzyed into being.

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Title listing fixed.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts