Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Appreciate all your insights. Thanks. I guess I have to wait to find a clone of my car in M6 and then I'll sell mine...

·
Registered
116 Posts
It would definitely be easier. 1 thing going for you is that you are going to a config available from the factory. Makes it tons easier. If you did decide to move forward I would highly suggest starting with a donor car (not a flood car). That would make it so much easier.

If you got kids or are short of time it will be a frustrating process.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Never hated the clutch, I adapted to the feel of the pedal and have no issue with it.
Same here. Never understood the dislike towards it. My only issue is because the clutch travel is so different from my Honda 6MT, I can't drive the two cars back to back without looking like I don't know what I'm doing. You should see me moving the cars around on Saturday after washing them. I stall one car because the clutch pedals is so different between the two.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Same here. Never understood the dislike towards it. My only issue is because the clutch travel is so different from my Honda 6MT, I can't drive the two cars back to back without looking like I don't know what I'm doing. You should see me moving the cars around on Saturday after washing them. I stall one car because the clutch pedals is so different between the two.
I felt the same way going between my NVG4500 truck and TR6060 car. It was so different it took 15 minutes to get used to it.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
You should try going from a TR6060 to an Eaton ten speed. Reverse in my Cascadia is first in the SS, and start out 4L in the Freightliner is reverse in the SS. ?

Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fck automatics.
I've got an M6 and literally wouldn't have purchased this car if it didn't come in manual.
Autotragic is just the cancer of the car industry.

The cluch feel isn't the greatest in the world but this car is badass with the ability to row gears. The control that a manual offers is just something that automatics have never offered and still cannot offer even to today.

I've manual swapped a 97 civic, 94 civic, 95 civic and 99 CL.... The process is always similar in collecting original parts and either reflashing the stock ECU with a manual Firmware, getting a manual ECU or just tricking auto ecu that the transmission is still there.
The SS has some additional systems but provided that the harnesses aren't all different; the process would be the same.
The GM computer OS can be flashed for manual usage with hpt and you would just be wiring in a clutch sensor to connect to the same wires for a gear selector.

However as others have said; the value of the car will be lower VS just buying a manual car. So it really comes to what you want. If you are like me and have 0 plans of ever selling this car; then the value be damned as long as you enjoy it.
If you like to switch cars even every 6 years; this project isn't for you.

If you are sourcing parts; I have found that gen5 camaro parts are pretty much what we have for powertrain related stuff.
Transmission & clutch & flywheel should be around 3k. If you can get away without needing interior parts (im not sure about shifter placement) then you should be able to easily find what you need from eBay / junkyards.

In my diagnostic scanning of this car; it seems that the auto Trans has its own ecu that manages most of its own values. It's modular from the engine ecu which has only a few transmission values.
Those values are mostly present on both auto and manual cars (like input shaft torque sensors, transmission speed sensor, gear lockout, reverse, etc).
Therefore I think a manual flash from hpt would do the trick. Possibly a few ecu pins will need to be repinned or the harness extended from its original location for things like a clutch sensor.

Anyway like I said before; this is only for people who have no plans on selling their car.
Considering the availability of SS; it depends on how your car is VS what is in the market VS value of both vehicles.
The choice is yours.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapat
I love my car and don't really want to sell it to buy an M6. How challenging would it be to have a shop do a swap? What do you think the cost would be? What should I think about before making this decision?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went from an automatic to a manual, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I loved my automatic, but a bolt action, at least to me, is a game changer. Never hated the clutch, I adapted to the feel of the pedal and have no issue with it.
All of that said, test drive one, and if you like it look for the right one at the right price. Sell high, buy low, it'll cost you less than the swap, be original and serviceable at your local dealership if necessary. ?
But the pedal shifters with the trans in manual is the same just without having to step on a clutch basically

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
But the pedal shifters with the trans in manual is the same just without having to step on a clutch basically
Umm, well, no. Not even close. Not sure how to explain the huge difference (s). Don't know where to start.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,983 Posts
Well, not exactly the same, but, it suits my needs. It's quicker shifting and smoother down shifting makes autos easier to drive fast. Most people that I've ridden with and/or see in videos can't drive a stick that well. I really don't understand why they would want one.

Reactions: CB750

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Let me be clear, I loved my '14. I would still own it today if a manual had never been offered. There is nothing wrong with an auto, and they are the transmission of choice for pure acceleration.
But, again, they aren't even close to being the same. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,983 Posts
I'm with you. As I have said many times, the most gratifying car that I have ever owned was my my 2002 M6 Firehawk, loved it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a 35th Anniversary Camaro. That was one smooth stick shift. What a perfect car. Except for the hump on the pass side of the floor. And the y pipe hitting the floor. And the exploding 10 bolt. Spark plugs weren't that bad. But hope you don't have to swap heads. That was a pain.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So, I see a bunch of threads asking about this. I also know Caprice PPVs have undergone the surgery, but has anyone accomplished this feat on an SS?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Don’t think so and really doesn’t make a lot of sense. A lot of money and time and it will never be “right,” nor could get any money back when you sell.

But, if you’re in it for the challenge and you’ve got the money, you could own a 1 of 1.

Or, you could just buy a manual...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Makes sense. I know most people use donor cars for swaps of this caliber. I'm guessing if there is a 6MT SS, manual CTS-V, or manual Camaro out there which was totaled in the rear (prayerfully no more end up in this state), and it could be had for cheap, one could get this swap done with realtive ease for the low-low (that's relative). I would imagine many of those cars share the same CAN BUS/telematics/etc. If a donor could be had for let's say $8,000 or so (possibly a huge stretch), then I think said 1 of 1 can become reality.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts