Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my car and don't really want to sell it to buy an M6. How challenging would it be to have a shop do a swap? What do you think the cost would be? What should I think about before making this decision?

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
It isn't a 67 Nova.

Buy a M6.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I love my car and don't really want to sell it to buy an M6. How challenging would it be to have a shop do a swap? What do you think the cost would be? What should I think about before making this decision?
G8 guys ask this all the time too. Answer there, is same as here, and what CB said. Just get another vehicle. Time, expense and difficulty are all not worth it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would think that you would be in excess of $7,000. Way easier to find a actual M6 to buy. I have seen it done on a newer caprice and they had a hell of a time getting the computers onboard. They basically had to trick it into thinking the auto trans was still there which then allowed it to run. But it now starts in gear on the manual trans which isn’t ideal for a daily, no clutch sensor wired into the computer now. Best way would be to source a totaled manual car and start stealing parts like harness, pedal, trans, driveshaft and console parts.....everything. Then you are tearing apart your car way more than desired to swap to a manual. Yes, completey doable but way to expensive to make it a worthy option imo.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
And nobody’s going to buy a trans-swapped car at anywhere near what it would be worth in original form. So you lose money on the swap and then significantly when you try to resell as well.

BTW, have you driven a manual SS? Do so before you decide that is the route to go, some who have really do not like the clutch feel, while many of us don’t have a problem with it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did a manual swap on a 2004 Yukon. The manual related parts are semi-rare. So I had to order most of the parts new. It cost me around 4K to do the swap and it took me months. Some minor fab work. I had to reprogram the PCM with a manual OS and a bit of harness re-pining. I would imagine the parts for the SS would be quite a bit more expensive. Anywhere up to 7K. That wasn't my first swap either. I have done a 4th gen Camaro auto to manual AND manual to auto.

I would just sell and get a manual car. Many people are complaining the clutch feel of the SS isn't that good so maybe you are better off with an auto.

·
Super Moderator
5,566 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I did a manual swap on a 2004 Yukon. The manual related parts are semi-rare. So I had to order most of the parts new. It cost me around 4K to do the swap and it took me months. Some minor fab work. I had to reprogram the PCM with a manual OS and a bit of harness re-pining. I would imagine the parts for the SS would be quite a bit more expensive. Anywhere up to 7K. That wasn't my first swap either. I have done a 4th gen Camaro auto to manual AND manual to auto.

I would just sell and get a manual car. Many people are complaining the clutch feel of the SS isn't that good so maybe you are better off with an auto.
Fck automatics.
I've got an M6 and literally wouldn't have purchased this car if it didn't come in manual.
Autotragic is just the cancer of the car industry.

The cluch feel isn't the greatest in the world but this car is badass with the ability to row gears. The control that a manual offers is just something that automatics have never offered and still cannot offer even to today.

I've manual swapped a 97 civic, 94 civic, 95 civic and 99 CL.... The process is always similar in collecting original parts and either reflashing the stock ECU with a manual Firmware, getting a manual ECU or just tricking auto ecu that the transmission is still there.
The SS has some additional systems but provided that the harnesses aren't all different; the process would be the same.
The GM computer OS can be flashed for manual usage with hpt and you would just be wiring in a clutch sensor to connect to the same wires for a gear selector.

However as others have said; the value of the car will be lower VS just buying a manual car. So it really comes to what you want. If you are like me and have 0 plans of ever selling this car; then the value be damned as long as you enjoy it.
If you like to switch cars even every 6 years; this project isn't for you.

If you are sourcing parts; I have found that gen5 camaro parts are pretty much what we have for powertrain related stuff.
Transmission & clutch & flywheel should be around 3k. If you can get away without needing interior parts (im not sure about shifter placement) then you should be able to easily find what you need from eBay / junkyards.

In my diagnostic scanning of this car; it seems that the auto Trans has its own ecu that manages most of its own values. It's modular from the engine ecu which has only a few transmission values.
Those values are mostly present on both auto and manual cars (like input shaft torque sensors, transmission speed sensor, gear lockout, reverse, etc).
Therefore I think a manual flash from hpt would do the trick. Possibly a few ecu pins will need to be repinned or the harness extended from its original location for things like a clutch sensor.

Anyway like I said before; this is only for people who have no plans on selling their car.
Considering the availability of SS; it depends on how your car is VS what is in the market VS value of both vehicles.
The choice is yours.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate all your insights. Thanks. I guess I have to wait to find a clone of my car in M6 and then I'll sell mine...

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Fck automatics.
I've got an M6 and literally wouldn't have purchased this car if it didn't come in manual.
Autotragic is just the cancer of the car industry.

The cluch feel isn't the greatest in the world but this car is badass with the ability to row gears. The control that a manual offers is just something that automatics have never offered and still cannot offer even to today.

I've manual swapped a 97 civic, 94 civic, 95 civic and 99 CL.... The process is always similar in collecting original parts and either reflashing the stock ECU with a manual Firmware, getting a manual ECU or just tricking auto ecu that the transmission is still there.
The SS has some additional systems but provided that the harnesses aren't all different; the process would be the same.
The GM computer OS can be flashed for manual usage with hpt and you would just be wiring in a clutch sensor to connect to the same wires for a gear selector.

However as others have said; the value of the car will be lower VS just buying a manual car. So it really comes to what you want. If you are like me and have 0 plans of ever selling this car; then the value be damned as long as you enjoy it.
If you like to switch cars even every 6 years; this project isn't for you.

If you are sourcing parts; I have found that gen5 camaro parts are pretty much what we have for powertrain related stuff.
Transmission & clutch & flywheel should be around 3k. If you can get away without needing interior parts (im not sure about shifter placement) then you should be able to easily find what you need from eBay / junkyards.

In my diagnostic scanning of this car; it seems that the auto Trans has its own ecu that manages most of its own values. It's modular from the engine ecu which has only a few transmission values.
Those values are mostly present on both auto and manual cars (like input shaft torque sensors, transmission speed sensor, gear lockout, reverse, etc).
Therefore I think a manual flash from hpt would do the trick. Possibly a few ecu pins will need to be repinned or the harness extended from its original location for things like a clutch sensor.

Anyway like I said before; this is only for people who have no plans on selling their car.
Considering the availability of SS; it depends on how your car is VS what is in the market VS value of both vehicles.
The choice is yours.

It's a bit trickier than you surmise.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Possibly, but shouldn't be much different based on my own analysis. I'm no stranger to car wiring and custom ecus.

Your analysis is over optimistic.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It all depends on how close to "doin' it right" that you get.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Your analysis is over optimistic.
Have you evaluated the internal systems of our cars? Because I am speaking from personal experience in working with my own cars CAN bus and ECU.
I am a software engineer and even though the BCM does have a few auto transmission values in it; they can be ignored or overridden especially with something as simple as an Arduino.

·
Super Moderator
13,373 Posts
Take the peeing match to PM guys.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
deleted

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Take the peeing match to PM guys.
I won't waste my time. I'm not really sure why he is being so argumentative and trying to shoot down the helpful information that I posted for the OP.
As a person with actual experience in swapping vehicles to manual I am simply providing some insight into how it can be done.
Either way I'm done in this thread now unless the OP asks me any questions specifically. Everybody have a nice day!

·
Super Moderator
13,373 Posts
In that case, suggest you take full advantage of the PM function for further discussion with the OP.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Having both in the driveway, I wouldn't do it unless you have driven one.

I've owned manual cars most of my life, and not sure i'd make the switch in the SS.

Personal preference, go drive one first and see if you like it before you sell your car.

·
Super Moderator
5,566 Posts
I went from an automatic to a manual, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I loved my automatic, but a bolt action, at least to me, is a game changer. Never hated the clutch, I adapted to the feel of the pedal and have no issue with it.
All of that said, test drive one, and if you like it look for the right one at the right price. Sell high, buy low, it'll cost you less than the swap, be original and serviceable at your local dealership if necessary. 👍

1 - 20 of 32 Posts