Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let me start by saying that the car (2017 SS auto) is new, 10 days old, just a few hundred miles, and as a former BMW owner I'm very used to weird electrical gremlins. But there are things that I don't understand:

- easy exit puts the seat all the way back. I have stored a position in the seat memory (that extra choice after 1 and 2) as per the manual, but it ignores it. What am I doing wrong?

- yesterday every time the car was shut off (it was in the shop being moved around a lot) it would beep three times. Kind of like the "fob in car" warning, except that the warning was turned off and the door had never been opened and closed. While getting gas, it did it again, so I turned that warning on and off again, and it stopped doing it. Coincidence? Or was it beeping because of something else?

- It seems that a tire pressure of 31 psi sets off the TPMS warning. I like low pressures, is there any way to adjust or set the threshold for the TPMS warning? On my BMWs I could do it, but not on the Corvette (and I assume also not on the SS).

- Sometimes the door lock using the button on the outside of the door is slow to respond. Normal?

Thanks!

· Registered
3,573 Posts
- It seems that a tire pressure of 31 psi sets off the TPMS warning. I like low pressures, is there any way to adjust or set the threshold for the TPMS warning? On my BMWs I could do it, but not on the Corvette (and I assume also not on the SS).
You'll find horrible front tire wear with that low of pressure. Even the recommended 35-36 is too low for even tire wear. Well, my rears are pretty even, but the fronts are wearing badly on inner and outer portions with an accurate alignment. I'm usually the same way about lower pressures, but I've accepted the higher pressures on the SS.

- Sometimes the door lock using the button on the outside of the door is slow to respond. Normal?
Yup, whole system is certainly inferior to the BMW systems. The front doors aren't as bad as the rear doors that only occasionally work. Keeping the keys closer to the sensor in the front door handles helps some, but there's still a noticeable delay.

· Premium Member
2,387 Posts
You'll find horrible front tire wear with that low of pressure. Even the recommended 35-36 is too low for even tire wear. Well, my rears are pretty even, but the fronts are wearing badly on inner and outer portions with an accurate alignment. I'm usually the same way about lower pressures, but I've accepted the higher pressures on the SS.

Yup, whole system is certainly inferior to the BMW systems. The front doors aren't as bad as the rear doors that only occasionally work. Keeping the keys closer to the sensor in the front door handles helps some, but there's still a noticeable delay.
Maybe it's just me but this car seems to require an alignment every year. I just had mine aligned not too long ago but when the dealer did an oil change last week, they said the tow was off both front and rear. Sheesh.

The SS is the first car I've had with the unlock buttons on the door handles. I didn't realize how slow it was until we picked up the wife's new Yukon last year.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
-The memory seat settings are only for quickly getting everything set back to how you want to be positioned while you're driving....say someone else gets in your car and moves everything around to where you aren't comfortable sitting or being able to see out of your side mirrors. If you have your positions set for Memory slot 1, you can hold or double tap the button and it will automatically move your seats and mirrors back to where you prefer them.....easy exit will always take the seat all the way back, that's why I don't use it lol. I don't have the time to wait for it to move around.

-As for your tire pressure, you may like low pressures for whatever reason but you will wear out your tires much faster and uneven. I doubt you will like the price of replacing them more often.

-I keep my fob in my pocket at all times so the only time mine beeps is when I close the doors and walk away with it running. Is that what you're doing?

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-I keep my fob in my pocket at all times so the only time mine beeps is when I close the doors and walk away with it running. Is that what you're doing?
No, in this case it was pulling up to the pumps, put it in park, pressing the on/off/start button, and the horn beeped three times. I had not opened the door yet. Weird.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try a bit higher pressure in the tires. But typically for me, I'll take the trade-off in longevity for comfort. I'm old. :frown

· Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Is the other key fob in the car?
I doubt you will feel a 6 psi difference in the tires. You will feel the pinch come new tire time ;-) Better tires at the right pressure will improve the ride.
The sensor system might need some work if the beeping continues.

· Banned
15,299 Posts
The TPM is operating correctly.

The low trigger is 15% low if memory serves correct. This provides a constant light on.

If the light flashes for ~ 1 minute then stays lit there is a malfunction. This is explained in the FOM !!! Read it.

The values CANNOT be changed.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue with the exit position. I have successfully set a position that works fine when I press and hold the exit button. But when I turn off the ignition and open the door the seat goes all the way back. What am I missing?

· Registered
451 Posts
if you have the easy exit feature enabled, it goes back no matter what your presets are set at... I turned mine off, after squishing my mother... I almost never have anyone behind me, as I'm tall, & have the seat back most of the way, normally... but had my mother & her sister in the back seat, & tried to get out 1st & open the doors for them...

now I just have to position my right foot to the dead peddle to ease getting out...

· Registered
440 Posts
OK, let me start by saying that the car (2017 SS auto) is new, 10 days old, just a few hundred miles, and as a former BMW owner I'm very used to weird electrical gremlins. But there are things that I don't understand:

- easy exit puts the seat all the way back. I have stored a position in the seat memory (that extra choice after 1 and 2) as per the manual, but it ignores it. What am I doing wrong?

- yesterday every time the car was shut off (it was in the shop being moved around a lot) it would beep three times. Kind of like the "fob in car" warning, except that the warning was turned off and the door had never been opened and closed. While getting gas, it did it again, so I turned that warning on and off again, and it stopped doing it. Coincidence? Or was it beeping because of something else?

Thanks!
The lock button on the door handle has a 5 second delay after closing the last door, presumably to prevent accidental lockout. It doesn't make much sense though since you must have the key outside to lock the doors to begin with but that's what it states in the manual. Regardless, if you lock the door after 5 seconds of closing the last door, it's immediate. Unlock should always be immediate.

Easy exit was weird for me too. What's happening is that the two keys you got are either 1 or 2 so can mix up the seat memory. Try using your other key to see if that helps.

· Registered
822 Posts
For my easy exit, we have the presets in order, 1 closest to the steering wheel, 2 next height driver, 3 far enough back to get out comfortably. Then, as soon as it's in park, but the button (2 or 3) that is one above your normal position. Room to get out without going all the way back.

Downside is if you share the car, you lose the extra setting that some people use for backing up (to set mirrirs). I don't do that so it doesn't bother me to lose it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

· Registered
78 Posts
I'm not typically interested in euro cars due to long term maintenance costs and that I'm probably a bit of a *******, but a friend of a friend just got a new BMW 650i gran coupe (I think it is but it had 4 doors) twin turbo v8 that is pretty awesome. The friend kept telling him about the ss and comparing them. I was cool with that... I mean, there are SOME similarities! :) honestly, that car is baaad! Not my flavor, but can't deny the awesomeness of it.
Ok, that's all I got. Haha! Just upping my post count. ;)

· Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,495 Posts

Even I run my tire pressures a bit low,split between front and rear. I use a tire depth gauge to monitor my tire wear regularly. The fronts like 38-40 and the rears are ok with 30-34, but will set of the warning on Onstar below 32 and on the car when it dips below 30. And no, it can't be adjusted.

· Premium Member
522 Posts
Not had any issues with speed of lock/unlock or the 'fob in car' issue on the SS. However, the 2016 Malibu I had prior to the SS had all sorts of issues with that. On top of that, the A/C would not always come on when it should during auto-start process. Bum deal when the interior of the car is sitting at 120 degrees and you're expecting something quite a bit lower. The dealer admitted there were issues and suggested I talk to Chevrolet customer support about it. They just gave me the 'that's what the warrantee is for' speech. The plus side is, I ditched it and bought my SS, could not be happier!

· Premium Member
594 Posts
I drive the car once a week. Recently during cold weather (50 degrees... I know... So Cal is spoiled) on the first start after a week off, I press the Start button and release. Nothing happens. Then a second or two after releasing the button, the the starter begins to crank the engine and the car starts. On subsequent starts, it works normally.

· Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Check and charge battery. These cars don’t like low voltage.

Reactions: wilkin4
1 - 20 of 36 Posts