Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
Unfortunately, from my experience, you’re the exception, not the rule. I wish you were local to me.
I can and will personally attest to the fact that my homie(s),,, @SJR92647 is indeed,,, along with (although he is not currently working!!) @willy92 ,,,, and perhaps,,, although he has not been posting in quite a while,,,, @wiseman08 ,,, the EXCEPTIONS!!!

While I am fortunate to have a personal relationship with some of the top folks in the field,,, I wish that their collective acumen,,, was more prevalent than NOT!!! It is a sad statement of the general condition of customer service,, that the preponderance of comments on this and many other boards,, about this critical relationship,, are negative!!! It reflects poorly on the intangibles being taught at the technical education level!!! That discussion,,,could occupy an entire thread,,,, maybe even its own forum!!!

😐

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I troubleshooted the fuse and relay for the A/C as per @McSkillet and unfortunately no luck, no cold air and cannot hear the clutch engaging on the belt at all... I even sanity checked and put in a fresh 10 amp fuse from the backups and still nothing, so definitely seems the dealer tech did the due diligence to troubleshoot before pointing to the A/C clutch itself being the problem.

I'll wait to hear from the "senior advisors team" I guess, hopefully they find my offers (very) fair given all the circumstances and agree to one of them.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Just make sure you rule out the low system pressure before diving into the compressor replacement. A slow, unseen leak would easily not allow the clutch to engage. I'm not familiar with the SS system specifically, but a bad pressure switch would also not allow the clutch to engage while also not showing any leaks anywhere. System pressure checks out fine, but if a faulty switch says the pressure is low, it won't allow the clutch to engage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just make sure you rule out the low system pressure before diving into the compressor replacement. A slow, unseen leak would easily not allow the clutch to engage. I'm not familiar with the SS system specifically, but a bad pressure switch would also not allow the clutch to engage while also not showing any leaks anywhere. System pressure checks out fine, but if a faulty switch says the pressure is low, it won't allow the clutch to engage.
And how would I do that? 😐

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Depends on your competence working on cars. An AC manifold gauge set is pretty inexpensive on Amazon or can be borrowed from most auto parts stores. YouTube can give basic instruction, but basically you're hooking up the high and low ports to the compressor to read static system pressure. I don't know the specific desired pressures, but zero pressure is bad and the system has leaked all the refrigerant out.

As far as testing the AC Refrigerant Pressure Sensor, I can't help much there. Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears there are three wires. One is 5v, one is ground and the last is a green wire output to the ECM. Being that it goes to the ECM, it should be something that could be checked with an OBD diagnostics device.

At the very least, I'd ask the dealer what the AC pressure was and if the pressure sensor checked out before coming to the conclusion that the clutch was bad.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Depends on your competence working on cars. An AC manifold gauge set is pretty inexpensive on Amazon or can be borrowed from most auto parts stores. YouTube can give basic instruction, but basically you're hooking up the high and low ports to the compressor to read static system pressure. I don't know the specific desired pressures, but zero pressure is bad and the system has leaked all the refrigerant out.

As far as testing the AC Refrigerant Pressure Sensor, I can't help much there. Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears there are three wires. One is 5v, one is ground and the last is a green wire output to the ECM. Being that it goes to the ECM, it should be something that could be checked with an OBD diagnostics device.

At the very least, I'd ask the dealer what the AC pressure was and if the pressure sensor checked out before coming to the conclusion that the clutch was bad.
I don't have a garage/workspace since I am in a high rise apartment with limited storage space for tools and things, would love to do things more myself though...

So I just called the dealer and my service guy said the tech immediately checked for leaks and didn't find any and found that the A/C compressor clutch itself was visibly physically broken so they don't believe there is a leak at all and it's just the broken clutch not engaging causing the issue. I wished they were a bit more clear in explaining the confidence they had in their diagnosis but it's good to learn about these things form you guys.

The dealer has my case number with GM and should hopefully get a call tomorrow or Wednesday to get things moving on this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This video claims the repair process is the same for all makes and models... I understand your situation, but I thought you'd like to know what you're being charged $1,400+ to have done.

Reactions: DRN94

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
NOW,, that we have all seen how relatively simple a concept the AC clutch is,,, and despite the prattle from the dealer that the parts and labor are a Gazillion bucks,,,,, we have information,,, secretly left on Funk and Wagnals doorstep,,, by,,, a Friend Of Ours,,,, from a gazillion years ago!!!

For your consideration,,,,

This job cannot possibly be more than approximately 2 or 3 hours labor all in,,, and that is with smoke breaks!!!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,512 Posts
Maybe they are charging for the price to buy the puller to get it off, since, any dealer that I worked for replaced the whole compressor when it needed a clutch.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
Maybe they are charging for the price to buy the puller to get it off, since, any dealer that I worked for replaced the whole compressor when it needed a clutch.
Willy!!

You could buy the Clutch,,, at least a couple of pullers,,,, pay for the labor,,, and a CARTON of smokes for $1,400,,, as well as a gourmet lunch for everybody in the shop!! AND STILL have money left over!!!

:unsure:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I don’t necessarily agree. GM can be quite generous to loyal customers, ie having all maintenance services and repairs at the dealer, having multiple GM cars in the family and brand loyalty. Dealers have a goodwill fund with GM to step up and pay for out of warranty repairs to keep customer satisfaction. Now as far as guarantee’s the warranty is sufficient for coverage but to say this will never happen again is unpredictable. My service manager’s response to this question is “if I had a crystal ball to predict repairs, I’d be a millionaire”. All I can say if you trust your service advisor then have faith that he/she will do right by you
Fair statement, but this is my 4th GM vehicle (I also have a Silverado right now) and in my mind it should be GM trying to earn my loyalty, not the other way around (crazy thought I know). But, they have no real interest in me as a customer as they believe there will always be someone else willing to buy their cars. They have a very short corporate memory...

Dealerships/service advisors/techs are so hit and miss that you can’t really assume one experience to the next will be positive. Always a roll of the dice. But, I realize that even though Chevy sells $70k+ vehicles these days it is not a “premium” brand, so you get what you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'll have to get the part number(s) but yes they implied the whole compressor assembly would be replaced ~700 bucks at full GM OEM asking price and 3-4 hours labor at 165 an hour... Unfortunately since the service people quoted the full price for the part the parts guy who usually matches online prices for me said his hands are tied...

So worst case if the GM "senior advisors team" doesn't budge I can get the part numbers and supply them at a discount or request they attempt to replace only the clutch first and then the rest of the assembly if that fails to resolve the issue.

Given my conversation yesterday it sounds like a simple clutch replacement is not possible if the connecting portion is said to be visibly damaged but I will only have to discuss those details if the GM "senior advisors team" can't make anything happen. If it's coming out of GM's pocket I'm sure the dealer/tech will come clean and only recommend the minimum necessary parts be replaced... Gotta love big American business...

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Fair statement, but this is my 4th GM vehicle (I also have a Silverado right now) and in my mind it should be GM trying to earn my loyalty, not the other way around (crazy thought I know). But, they have no real interest in me as a customer as they believe there will always be someone else willing to buy their cars. They have a very short corporate memory...

Dealerships/service advisors/techs are so hit and miss that you can’t really assume one experience to the next will be positive. Always a roll of the dice. But, I realize that even though Chevy sells $70k+ vehicles these days it is not a “premium” brand, so you get what you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sad to say I’ve encountered the same with other advisors. I’m not perfect and all means make no claims in being so. What sets me apart is I love what I do and deeply passionate for GM/Chevy. I still believe that we as Americans should drive American cars made by the Big 3. I treat a Corvette owner that spent $100k plus the same as a Sonic owner that spent $7k on their car. Even though Chevy is not a premium brand they are the working man’s car which is far more important then a snooty BMW or Audi customer because they are like me....a working man. Ok, done with my rant. I wish I/we had you as a customer as you would be treated right and I’m blessed to work with professionals that think the same way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sad to say I’ve encountered the same with other advisors. I’m not perfect and all means make no claims in being so. What sets me apart is I love what I do and deeply passionate for GM/Chevy. I still believe that we as Americans should drive American cars made by the Big 3. I treat a Corvette owner that spent $100k plus the same as a Sonic owner that spent $7k on their car. Even though Chevy is not a premium brand they are the working man’s car which is far more important then a snooty BMW or Audi customer because they are like me....a working man. Ok, done with my rant. I wish I/we had you as a customer as you would be treated right and I’m blessed to work with professionals that think the same way.
I agree. The 2022 CT5-V Blackwing is quickly replacing the 2021 BMW M5 Competition as my dream car "money no object". Yes it sucks dealing with this particular A/C issue on my SS but compared to how a German luxury brand would treat me with reliability, parts, labor, diagnostic costs, etc. out of warranty it's still night and day with GM being the better customer experience.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I agree. The 2022 CT5-V Blackwing is quickly replacing the 2021 BMW M5 Competition as my dream car "money no object". Yes it sucks dealing with this particular A/C issue on my SS but compared to how a German luxury brand would treat me with reliability, parts, labor, diagnostic costs, etc. out of warranty it's still night and day with GM being the better customer experience.
There is truth to that. I have spent some time at both a MB and BMW dealers and the level of customer service seems to be better in terms of being “yes” men and butt kissers while they hand you a $400 cup of coffee. At GM the coffee is free along with courtesy car washes.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
as the owner of a black car this makes me shudder. The one time I had my car at the dealership “do not wash” was written all over the service ticket.
I’m with ya....my SS is black too. Luckily when we service a Holden only the tech and myself drive them. No porters, techs or other advisors touch them.....call me anal. So no car washes.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
NOW,, that we have all seen how relatively simple a concept the AC clutch is,,, and despite the prattle from the dealer that the parts and labor are a Gazillion bucks,,,,, we have information,,, secretly left on Funk and Wagnals doorstep,,, by,,, a Friend Of Ours,,,, from a gazillion years ago!!!

For your consideration,,,,

This job cannot possibly be more than approximately 2 or 3 hours labor all in,,, and that is with smoke breaks!!!

:rolleyes:
well that depends on WHAT your smoking....

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I was 26 I took everything to the dealer. I stopped taking my 2004 Tahoe that I bought when I was 27 to the dealer a long time ago though. If I paid dealer repair fare the whole way, I would have had to ditch it long ago. As some have said, German cars will get you off the dealer quick. Once the car is out of warranty, just find a local mech you like and trust. The LS3 is 15 year old technology, it doesn't need to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
as the owner of a black car this makes me shudder. The one time I had my car at the dealership “do not wash” was written all over the service ticket.
I hear ya. This is what happened one time to my wheels after a dealership courtesy wash, the stains were embedded in the wheel finish. I asked them if they used brake fluid as tire dressing.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts