Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the weather is warming up here in Seattle I noticed my A/C no longer blows any cold air.

Took it into the dealer and they immediately discovered the A/C compressor clutch failed. Quoted $1,418.50 before tax...

For a 2016 and only 41K miles on it I found that unacceptable, especially considering my 12 year old Impala blew ice cold A/C being run hard in the hot midwest up until the same day I traded it in for the SS...

The service guy I work with recommended I call the GM support number (800-462-8782) and discuss a resolution. Called them and got a case number where they'll call me back Monday or Tuesday.

My proposed solutions to them:
1) I pay full price and the part(s) are lifetime warrantied
2) GM provides the part(s) with standard 2 year warranty and I only pay for the 3-4 hours labor

To me those are more than fair options for them to agree to but I'm new to this game.

I'll let you guys know how this gets resolved but my recommendation is if your car is low miles, well taken care of, and something fails that in all realistic considerations shouldn't that early don't be afraid to talk to GM, especially if you're a good customer with history and appreciation for the company.

-Devin

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not saying the tech at the dealership didn't do his due diligence in troubleshooting, but I've had 2 vehicles, 1 being a GM, that it appeared that the A/C clutch had failed, but in fact it was the relay. The horn relay was an exact part match, which allowed me to troubleshoot it without having to buy a new relay and hope that was the problem. I didn't look at the setup on mine before posting this, so I wouldn't assume that the horn relay on our SS will swap with the A/C relay, if you're wanting to try a bit more troubleshooting yourself.

Just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's possible! I'll call them Monday and ask if they checked the relay, if I have time to burn this weekend may attempt to troubleshoot it myself

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,512 Posts
Are we sure that it's not just empty, from that compressor discharge hose that seems to fail, a while after the steering recall was done?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are we sure that it's not just empty, from that compressor discharge hose that seems to fail, a while after the steering recall was done?
I haven't read this yet, would/could that issue show up as a compressor clutch failing to engage?

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If it does turn out to be the compressor, from my experience, at best they might give you a discount on the parts. If they won’t budge... maybe try an independent shop to save a few hundred.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,512 Posts
I haven't read this yet, would/could that issue show up as a compressor clutch failing to engage?
The clutch will not engage when the system is too low or empty.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I picked up a cheap UV flashlight and keep in handy to check the A/C lines of my vehicles. Some have dye from the factory that you can easily see if/where any leaks are coming from. I had another car I had to replace the condenser on, and it helped to diagnose. Since I know the SS is prone to having the above mentioned hose fail, I check it once in a while. As mentioned, check that first. That might save a lot of unnecessary work.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Now that the weather is warming up here in Seattle I noticed my A/C no longer blows any cold air.

Took it into the dealer and they immediately discovered the A/C compressor clutch failed. Quoted $1,418.50 before tax...

For a 2016 and only 41K miles on it I found that unacceptable, especially considering my 12 year old Impala blew ice cold A/C being run hard in the hot midwest up until the same day I traded it in for the SS...

The service guy I work with recommended I call the GM support number (800-462-8782) and discuss a resolution. Called them and got a case number where they'll call me back Monday or Tuesday.

My proposed solutions to them:
1) I pay full price and the part(s) are lifetime warrantied
2) GM provides the part(s) with standard 2 year warranty and I only pay for the 3-4 hours labor

To me those are more than fair options for them to agree to but I'm new to this game.

I'll let you guys know how this gets resolved but my recommendation is if your car is low miles, well taken care of, and something fails that in all realistic considerations shouldn't that early don't be afraid to talk to GM, especially if you're a good customer with history and appreciation for the company.

-Devin
I’ve read this twice, did I miss something? Did your advisor offer or did you ask him/her for GM for financial assistance? I think the above offer is leading with your chin. Also willy92 has a very valid point. If you were not so far away I’d offer to bring your car to me

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I’ve read this twice, did I miss something? Did your advisor offer or did you ask him/her for GM for financial assistance? I think the above offer is leading with your chin. Also willy92 has a very valid point. If you were not so far away I’d offer to bring your car to me
I took a peep at the compression discharge hose and not seeing any clear sign of past leakage but I'd need a UV light to be absolutely sure. I would like to trust my dealer/tech they immediately took a UV light to the engine bay upon investigating an A/C issue?

The offers were from me to GM support's "senior advisors team", "financial assistance" is maybe not the right term as I can readily afford the repair, it's just a tough pill to swallow on such a new well taken care of low mileage vehicle. I also don't like the idea of forking over the cash and having no guarantee the part won't prematurely fail again right outside the 2 year parts warranty.

If it's a bout of bad luck fluke the compressor clutch failed so early I feel GM should give a gesture and have this part be on the house and I cover the labor, if they're confident it was a fluke then they also shouldn't have an issue warrantying the part for its lifetime if I do pay full price.

I don't know, I'm 26 and this is the nicest car I've ever owned and had experience with taking care of so perhaps I need to just "get real" and learn to fork over cash to GM over issues like this. I recently ended up shelling out cash to get OEM replacement glass after Safelite mislead me on the quality differences between the particular aftermarket glass for the SS and the OEM spec so I've been very impatient with "big business" as of late.

I love GM products and want to buy future products from them whether it be parts/accessories for the SS or another vehicle entirely so I'm just hoping they can cut me a break on this one issue. I'll be car pooling folks on a retreat this May and want my car as nice and comfortable as possible so I also have a little anxiety over dealing with A/C troubles of all things which I hear horror stories about...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My experience is GM doesn’t do “gestures” for goodwill/customer loyalty. Hopefully they will throw you a bone and help out somehow, but despite the low mileage it is out of warranty an they don’t owe you anything.

Not unique to GM; my experience with Toyota, other biggies they are all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Not saying the tech at the dealership didn't do his due diligence in troubleshooting, but I've had 2 vehicles, 1 being a GM, that it appeared that the A/C clutch had failed, but in fact it was the relay. The horn relay was an exact part match, which allowed me to troubleshoot it without having to buy a new relay and hope that was the problem. I didn't look at the setup on mine before posting this, so I wouldn't assume that the horn relay on our SS will swap with the A/C relay, if you're wanting to try a bit more troubleshooting yourself.

Just my .02 cents...
This is why I have a 170-amp Caprice cop car alternator on my SS instead of the stock one because GM responded to the "check charging system" warning light on the dash with telling me they had to change the alternator out for a thousand dollars.

That is real. Yes that is a thing that happened. A THOUSAND dollars to replace an alternator on an LS3.

Anyway I found a guy at a tire shop with no GM training to install the new alternator I got for 100 bucks who correctly diagnosed a broken diagnostic wire that is phenomenally easy to see if you just get under the car and look.

So that's the story of why if a GM mechanic tells you what's wrong it's always something else and only one of the several reasons that this is the last GM product I'll own. GM Australia is awesome and I totally support the products they don't make because they don't exist anymore thanks to Retarded Mothership GM here in the states.

Reactions: DRN94

·
Registered
126 Posts

Just my .02 cents...
I just checked the relay locations in my 2016 SS and there are 4 others that match the relay in the #61 A/C slot. The 2 I'd use are #23 & #24 and both control the wipers.

But FIRST, with the engine off, check the fuse in the #73 location. If you don't have a multimeter check it visually. Replace if necessary, but be cognizant that it may happen again and will require further troubleshooting. If it looks okay, put the fuse back in it's slot and proceed to swap out the relay in slot #61 with either 1 of the 2 from the #23 or 24 spots. Just double-check that the part numbers on the top of the relays match before swapping and keep track of which one you swapped just in case this fixes the problem. Now you can start the engine and test the A/C...

[EDIT] this is how I would go about troubleshooting the problem. If you choose to follow the above, you do so at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Rooting for you, but my dealership experience makes me doubt they will help. Outside of oil and recalls I now take my car elsewhere. Or did last recall myself, GM wanted me to drop off car for seat belt trim inspection in morning and pick up when ever they finished. Couldn't give me a time or allow me to wait. I call BS on that. And that was to replace a part that should have been on previous recall.
The exterior window seal was six appointments by itself for that issue. After footing the bill for new drivers window the I popped the seal back in place and it stayed. Not trying to complain here, just letting you know what you may be in for.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I took a peep at the compression discharge hose and not seeing any clear sign of past leakage but I'd need a UV light to be absolutely sure. I would like to trust my dealer/tech they immediately took a UV light to the engine bay upon investigating an A/C issue?
View attachment 288923

The offers were from me to GM support's "senior advisors team", "financial assistance" is maybe not the right term as I can readily afford the repair, it's just a tough pill to swallow on such a new well taken care of low mileage vehicle. I also don't like the idea of forking over the cash and having no guarantee the part won't prematurely fail again right outside the 2 year parts warranty.

If it's a bout of bad luck fluke the compressor clutch failed so early I feel GM should give a gesture and have this part be on the house and I cover the labor, if they're confident it was a fluke then they also shouldn't have an issue warrantying the part for its lifetime if I do pay full price.

I don't know, I'm 26 and this is the nicest car I've ever owned and had experience with taking care of so perhaps I need to just "get real" and learn to fork over cash to GM over issues like this. I recently ended up shelling out cash to get OEM replacement glass after Safelite mislead me on the quality differences between the particular aftermarket glass for the SS and the OEM spec so I've been very impatient with "big business" as of late.

I love GM products and want to buy future products from them whether it be parts/accessories for the SS or another vehicle entirely so I'm just hoping they can cut me a break on this one issue. I'll be car pooling folks on a retreat this May and want my car as nice and comfortable as possible so I also have a little anxiety over dealing with A/C troubles of all things which I hear horror stories about...
My experience is GM doesn’t do “gestures” for goodwill/customer loyalty. Hopefully they will throw you a bone and help out somehow, but despite the low mileage it is out of warranty an they don’t owe you anything.

Not unique to GM; my experience with Toyota, other biggies they are all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t necessarily agree. GM can be quite generous to loyal customers, ie having all maintenance services and repairs at the dealer, having multiple GM cars in the family and brand loyalty. Dealers have a goodwill fund with GM to step up and pay for out of warranty repairs to keep customer satisfaction. Now as far as guarantee’s the warranty is sufficient for coverage but to say this will never happen again is unpredictable. My service manager’s response to this question is “if I had a crystal ball to predict repairs, I’d be a millionaire”. All I can say if you trust your service advisor then have faith that he/she will do right by you

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Rooting for you, but my dealership experience makes me doubt they will help. Outside of oil and recalls I now take my car elsewhere. Or did last recall myself, GM wanted me to drop off car for seat belt trim inspection in morning and pick up when ever they finished. Couldn't give me a time or allow me to wait. I call BS on that. And that was to replace a part that should have been on previous recall.
The exterior window seal was six appointments by itself for that issue. After footing the bill for new drivers window the I popped the seal back in place and it stayed. Not trying to complain here, just letting you know what you may be in for.
I agree......that’s absolutely unacceptable for a dealer. I take a much different approach especially with my SS/G8 owners. There’s no such thing as multiple appointments unless there’s a parts delay. Most of my Holden customers have my cell number so no reason for lack of communication. I don’t even allow porters to drive them. I hope you find another dealer you can trust and treat you with respect

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I agree......that’s absolutely unacceptable for a dealer. I take a much different approach especially with my SS/G8 owners. There’s no such thing as multiple appointments unless there’s a parts delay. Most of my Holden customers have my cell number so no reason for lack of communication. I don’t even allow porters to drive them. I hope you find another dealer you can trust and treat you with respect
Unfortunately, from my experience, you’re the exception, not the rule. I wish you were local to me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts