Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

1618608007567.png

Figured since there is hardly any information on road course and modifications around that, I'd provide feedback on the modifications I chose and how they make a difference.

So far, this is the car:

2016 SIM Chevrolet SS, 6MT, Slicktop, Inflator No Spare.
Modifications:
-Titan 7 T-S5 20x9 +36, 20x10.5 +46 Forged Wheels (exclusive through Maverick Man)
-Michelin PS4S F265/35r20, R295/35r20
-King SSSL Springs, stock mag-ride shocks (recalibration performed).
-Front Fenders Cut + rolled, fender liner near fender trimmed, Rear Fenders Shaved (due to double pinch welds)
  • -1.8deg front camber, Camber Bolts Replaced (search "one time fender bolt" sticky thread in the general / tech discussion)
  • CG-Lock Belt Harness (hard to find / discontinued)
-Stoptech 309.xxxx Street Pads Front + Rear
-ATE Super Yellow Brake Fluid
-BMR Exhaust Tunnel Brace

Upcoming:
-G-Stop Stainless Steel Lines
-Stoptech Rotors // DBA Rotors
-Porterfield R4 Brake Pads
-Nankang AR-1 F265/35r20 R 305/30r20
-Motul RBF-660

In Consideration:
-Seat
-SuperPro Bushings
-LCA
-Intake (kinda iffy due to emissions regulation in CA)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far, it's seen Streets of Willow in Rosamond, CA, which is a very tight track and hard on the car track.

The vehicle feels very large on this track, and due to intentional drifting at the skidpad, the PS4S tires chunked by the end of the day.

One of the biggest differences I feel in comparison to stock is the reduced tire scrub (very very apparent with standard alignment). I still see shoulder rub on the tires, but they don't scrub as aggressively on turns as they did during previous autocross sessions.

No brake fade at streets of willow, weather wasn't too hot though and surprising with the stoptech pads.

Up next
4/17, NASA HPDE Buttonwillow CW13
5/1, Extremespeed Balcony Drift Day
5/9, OngridSuper GT Buttonwillow CW13

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,525 Posts
I would add sub-frame connectors to that brace that you already have. I noticed a difference on my slick top '14, and perhaps stainless flex brake lines.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would add sub-frame connectors to that brace that you already have. I noticed a difference on my slick top '14, and perhaps stainless flex brake lines.
not sure if it would make much of a difference for me as i've retained the mag-ride.. reason why sway bar is thinner on 15-17 compared to 14

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
So far, it's seen Streets of Willow in Rosamond, CA, which is a very tight track and hard on the car track.

The vehicle feels very large on this track, and due to intentional drifting at the skidpad, the PS4S tires chunked by the end of the day.

One of the biggest differences I feel in comparison to stock is the reduced tire scrub (very very apparent with standard alignment). I still see shoulder rub on the tires, but they don't scrub as aggressively on turns as they did during previous autocross sessions.

No brake fade at streets of willow, weather wasn't too hot though and surprising with the stoptech pads.

Up next
4/17, NASA HPDE Buttonwillow CW13
5/1, Extremespeed Balcony Drift Day
5/9, OngridSuper GT Buttonwillow CW13
When did you go? That is in my back yard. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
The two most effective mods for me (big surprise here) were brakes and tires. The Nitto NT01 handles the weight of the SS incredibly well. I put about 70 heat cycles in before they were done. I run a square setup, so rotating helps. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they make them in the sizes you are running. I hear good things about the Nankangs, so I'd love to hear feedback on those.

I did the 6 piston conversion, and I absolutely love the Hawk DTCs (70 up front and 60 in the back) if you find yourself looking for different pads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Constantly surprised with the performance of such a large sedan.

Buttonwillow event this weekend was more of a school day for me, had instruction and an opportunity to run a couple hot laps. The Stoptech brake pads (309.xxxxx) and ATE Super Yellow fluid did not over heat / fade in real aggressive braking events. Will post timing results from 5/9 event. Unofficially, my best time was 2:10 this weekend.

Also, wondering if the 305/30 AR1's will fit (295/30 PS4S tires compressed below).
1618938629615.png

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have any videos you can post up? I'd love to see them.
I am also debating taking my car to Willow Springs. I always get close to signing up for an event but it's my daily and don't want to wreck it.

What was your lap time at Streets?
Did they require you to have tow hooks? I notice some events say tow hooks or straps are mandatory.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
This is a definite concern. I just had a couple friends write off their cars during a track day. Track insurance is a must IMO. Look at Hagerty and Lockton.

·
Premium Member
7,151 Posts
This is a definite concern. I just had a couple friends write off their cars during a track day. Track insurance is a must IMO. Look at Hagerty and Lockton.
Yup! And remember that most insurance doesn’t cover damage to the track. You break the tire wall, you buy it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have any videos you can post up? I'd love to see them.
I am also debating taking my car to Willow Springs. I always get close to signing up for an event but it's my daily and don't want to wreck it.

What was your lap time at Streets?
Did they require you to have tow hooks? I notice some events say tow hooks or straps are mandatory.

I did streets untimed with the alfa romeo driver's school, they had a modified layout that wasn't 13cw so it wouldn't be comparative.

And yes, tow hooks are "required" but the techs never checks. I've thought about custom fitting some to the vehicle, but the cost (est 6 hours labor) to chop up the bumper and custom fab something to the front and rear really makes me not want to do it. Just don't crash

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, i picked up the AR1's today, haven't mounted.

One of the tire techs was feeling my fenders when I asked him if he thought i'd have issues running, and although i cannot hear the vehicle rub there is some rubber transfer on the fenders from the 295's. Hopefully it's just tire shine and dirt residue, but we'll see. Tire appt and maintenance scheduled for 5/3.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yup! And remember that most insurance doesn’t cover damage to the track. You break the tire wall, you buy it.
It was $11k for a perpendicular hit into the armco in this case. Damage to the car is estimated around $70k.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I did streets untimed with the alfa romeo driver's school, they had a modified layout that wasn't 13cw so it wouldn't be comparative.

And yes, tow hooks are "required" but the techs never checks. I've thought about custom fitting some to the vehicle, but the cost (est 6 hours labor) to chop up the bumper and custom fab something to the front and rear really makes me not want to do it. Just don't crash
I spent about 6 hours to install a front tow ring alone ( still a work in progress, I did not cut anything ) .. Need to look into a rear mount next.

I'm signed up for an event at Buttonwillow 13CW in mid-June currently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spent about 6 hours to install a front tow ring alone ( still a work in progress, I did not cut anything ) .. Need to look into a rear mount next.

I'm signed up for an event at Buttonwillow 13CW in mid-June currently.
have fun! will be hot af... think i'm going to break til october / november after this sunday.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
have fun! will be hot af... think i'm going to break til october / november after this sunday.
I was thinking the same thing .. After Buttonwillow we want to take a break over the summer, then go to Thunderhill around October.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AR1's mounted yesterday, F 265/35r20 , R 305/30r20, on SSSL Springs, -1.8deg camber in the front, -1.5deg in the rear. Rear fenders are pictured (cut out). These are the fully forged Titan 7 wheels, so 20x9+36, 20x10.5+46

Initial impression is night and day grip difference on braking (also have Porterfield R4 installed which are super aggressive carbon / kevlar compound), They rub on large freeway dips (i'm in LA so they are big, and the car is pretty weighted right now), my trunk has a full size spare, tools for track, jackstands, and had 4 tires in the back seat when the photos below were taken.

Still intend on running these this sunday at BW. Below are photos showing how they fit, and how the tires were sized next to dismounted PS4S in the smaller 295/30r20 sizing. Also pictured are my rear fenders from underneath, as you can see they're pretty shaved and the fender screw is pushed up.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,525 Posts
Looks good, but, I think you may have a hard time at the track, with that setup. Hopefully, unloading it will get the clearance that you need.

Reactions: 16HeronSS
1 - 20 of 22 Posts