Chevy SS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
I replaced mine with the X2Power battery. There was a 20% off deal at my local Batteries Plus store if you bought it online and picked up at the store. I've also used the Deka battery in my G8, and the Odyssey Extreme (8 years old now with many winch and jump-start uses) in my truck with great success. I was told by my local battery "expert" that the Optima batteries are not nearly as good as they were before Johnson Controls bought the brand. Don't overthink it, just get something good.

Thanks for backing up my claim on the longevity of the Odyssey battery. You are in the same class of longevity with the North Star re-badge X2 power battery. Are battery post on the X2 solid brass?

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
If you look at the case for what many are showing as the OEM replacement battery, it appears that the batteries from Walmart and Costco/Interstate (both the AGM models) are the same...Walmart version and Costco/Interstate versions are a bit less expensive if that is important to you...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
just checking Costco Interstate website and it no longer shows an AGM battery (or any battery available for our SS sedan)...

Bill

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just installed the H7 Duralast Platinum AGM, PLUG and PLAY.

Fits perfectly as our SSs battery trays fit both the stock smaller H6 and the larger H7. Just remove the vent tube elbow from negative side battery and plug into to new battery --- AND don't forget to plug the valve stop on the other positive side though with the included red valve stopper attached to the red postive plastic cap. DONT JUST TOSS THE RED PALSTIC CAP OUT! You need that little stopper attached to the cap like a GI JOE piece, lol. As there are vents on both sides of this battery for other configurations.

Seems to crank faster/mo better now, but probably just plecebo in combination with my aging AC DELCO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Vent plugs

Did the original Delco have a "plug" on the positive side?

My new Napa battery doesn't seem to have a plug for that side Part # 9848. One vent hole on each side.

I haven't taken the battery out yet to see if there IS a plug on the original battery. My eyes are dilated from the eye doctor today so it's hard to see even if I put an mirror in there to look.

If there is a plug on that side does it come out easy?

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I went OEM. Bought it from the dealer. Price was fair, they installed it. No regrets.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Vent plugs

Did the original Delco have a "plug" on the positive side?

My new Napa battery doesn't seem to have a plug for that side Part # 9848. One vent hole on each side.

I haven't taken the battery out yet to see if there IS a plug on the original battery. My eyes are dilated from the eye doctor today so it's hard to see even if I put an mirror in there to look.

If there is a plug on that side does it come out easy?

Mike
Newp, Neg side only (rear of car) I would make sure both vent holes of a new non OEM battery are allowed an outlet to be safe. H gas, O2 gas come from overcharging an AGM battery, they tend to re-absorb the gasses into the mat and not vent unless needing to relive pressure.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Delco 48AGM has vents on both sides. The vent tube goes in one. The plug from the bad battery (or the plug you break off of the new battery's red positive terminal cover goes in the other vent.

You NEVER leave them "open" ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Napa battery did not come with a new plug. Just trying to make sure the "old" battery has a removable plug.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Delco 48AGM has vents on both sides. The vent tube goes in one. The plug from the bad battery (or the plug you break off of the new battery's red positive terminal cover goes in the other vent.

You NEVER leave them "open" ...
^^^^This!^^^^ I put a new Interstate Battery in the '15 and it also has the two vents. One of those little things that you need to pay attention to...

·
Registered
24 Posts
The original battery did NOT have a plug on the positive side. So I couldn't "reuse" it.
Have to go find one now.

Reactions: holler

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
First I replaced it with a Interstate H6 green top from Costco. Then I upgrade it to an Antigravity lithium and added a battery tracker. I can check my battery from my phone and the battery is less than 20 lbs which is a plus since I added an entire sound system with 3 big amps and subs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,731 Posts
First I replaced it with a Interstate H6 green top from Costco. Then I upgrade it to an Antigravity lithium and added a battery tracker. I can check my battery from my phone and the battery is less than 20 lbs which is a plus since I added an entire sound system with 3 big amps and subs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Brand? Price range? How long since you installed it?
I considered one of those earlier this year. Considering the cost, I could never settle on a brand that I felt good about purchasing. Also, I wasn't sure if a Lithium could jump-start to or from a conventional AMG. The sales guy I spoke with seem to talk in circles on that topic.

I'm old-school, so I'm often the guy who helps out another driver that needs a jump. Here in devil's country, you can be 100-miles out on the desert floor and die if you don't have a spare tire, a jug of water, heavy battery cables, and a firearm. I didn’t want to paint myself into a corner with a designer battery that may not dance with others'. Even so, I do like the concept and standalone features of Lithium-Ion.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
One thing I find strange is that Antigravity batteries say: "Do not use lead/acid charger"

i.e. In the car it's being charged with a system designed for a lead acid battery. I know that they have their own build-in charging/regulator circuit to "translate" the power input to that required by the lithium batteries. That being so, why can't it do that with a normal battery charger too?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts