Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
There are reasons for "dual purpose" batteries for sure, but if you look into their design you would be aware that their construction means they are a comprise and thus operate only as "adequate" in both roles. You are much better off with a starting battery in a vehicle.

If you have a situation where you have lots of power drain with engine off (e.g. Police vehicles, boats), then it's better to have two batteries. (One starting and one deep cycle)

Are you confusing AGM with "dual purpose"?

p.s. Did you get out of bed on the wrong side today?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Did a detailed write up of changing the battery from the follow up with this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
The new one has vent on both sides and a plug is provided for the one that is not used (vent tube on rear) fyi for those not knowing as i didn’t at first.
Interested in the plug provided for vent tube. My new battery has two vents (pos and neg side) but there are no plugs provided for an unused side.

Am i missing something?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Interested in the plug provided for vent tube. My new battery has two vents (pos and neg side) but there are no plugs provided for an unused side.

Am i missing something?

When you bought the replacement battery was there a protective cover over the terminals? There is always a break away vent plug attached on one of those covers.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There are reasons for "dual purpose" batteries for sure, but if you look into their design you would be aware that their construction means they are a comprise and thus operate only as "adequate" in both roles. You are much better off with a starting battery in a vehicle.

If you have a situation where you have lots of power drain with engine off (e.g. Police vehicles), then it's better to have two batteries. (One starting and one deep cycle)

Steve, were are talking about AGM batteries. Batteries Plus is a retailer and sells a re-badge version of the North Star battery. They choose to use the words "dual purpose" to market this battery for a broader appeal. If you go to North Star battery website you will see the battery as below.

NorthStar automotive batteries excel at providing both high reserve capacity and cranking amps, perfect for performance and start-stop technology applications.
  • Pure lead AGM technology delivers exceptional CCA ratings and reserve capacity cycling ability
  • Quick starting every time
  • Cycles over 900 times at 50% depth of discharge
  • Faster recharge than conventional batteries

• Proudly made in the USA at our state-of-the-art battery plant <------------------ "This part here is a big plus for me, verses AC Delco middle east battery company"
  • OEM fit is ensured - built to exact BCI standards
  • Housed in advanced plastics for durability performance and heat resistance
  • Advanced AGM construction means no water levels to check or terminals to clean
  • Approved as non-hazardous cargo for ground sea and air transport DOT 49CFR173.159(d), (i) and (ii)

And YES I did wake up on the wrong side this morning. Had to drive over to Buford last night to go do a welfare check up on 70 yrs old who is seeing spirits in his house. This is what happens when some men in their younger years are too opinionated, picky and selective they ended up being alone! I'm not a social work, just his friend. We met some 27 years ago when we worked at the same company.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Did a detailed write up of changing the battery from the follow up with this post

That is the HARD way !!!

Open trunk.

Close all doors.

Place fob at least 20 feet away.

Wait 15 minutes for trunk light to go out.

Remove spare tire carpeted cover.

Unscrew 4 cargo net hooks

Carefully but forcefully remove plastic trim that the cargo hooks screwed through by pulling up. Work it it is usually tight.

Remove scrivits on left trunk panel (get a mirror to find them first).

Bend rear corner of panel carefully towards right front of trunk at 45 degree angle to gain full access to battery. Do not overbend.

Replace battery disconnecting/reconnecting terminals in proper order. #### If you don't know the proper sequence you should not be doing it !!!

#### see this I forgot: Battery removal - at home!

Reverse above.

You will have to carefully work with plastic trim tool the trunk seal weatherstrip to go over the plastic trim panel you yanked off. Pay attention to the seal orientation before you remove it above so you get it back the same. Tip: use a small amount of lube on clips so you don't have to beat on it too hard to get it back on.

Charge new battery with AGM charger before or after installing.

Only replace battery with AGM 720 CCA or higher.

Do not cheap out

Reactions: Buffaloheron15

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I'm not familiar with that company, but it sounds like it's all marketing and that it's not really a dual purpose battery.

The design of a deep cycle battery is different to a starting battery and thus a dual purpose battery tries to have elements of both designs in a compromise setup that has to be inferior.

A good analogy to this would be tires:

Performance summer tires are great in warm weather and are terrible in the cold and snow and ice.

Winter tires offer the best performance in harsh conditions, not so much in the summer.

All season tires (dual purpose tires) are a compromise between the two types. They work, but won't give anywhere near the same performance as the specialized tires do in their element.

p.s. Sorry to hear about your night, but you really shouldn't vent your frustration on others on here.

Steve, were are talking about AGM batteries. Batteries Plus is a retailer and sells a re-badge version of the North Star battery. They choose to use the words "dual purpose" to market this battery for a broader appeal. If you go to North Star battery website you will see the battery as below.

NorthStar automotive batteries excel at providing both high reserve capacity and cranking amps, perfect for performance and start-stop technology applications.
  • Pure lead AGM technology delivers exceptional CCA ratings and reserve capacity cycling ability
  • Quick starting every time
  • Cycles over 900 times at 50% depth of discharge
  • Faster recharge than conventional batteries

• Proudly made in the USA at our state-of-the-art battery plant <------------------ "This part here is a big plus for me, verses AC Delco middle east battery company"
  • OEM fit is ensured - built to exact BCI standards
  • Housed in advanced plastics for durability performance and heat resistance
  • Advanced AGM construction means no water levels to check or terminals to clean
  • Approved as non-hazardous cargo for ground sea and air transport DOT 49CFR173.159(d), (i) and (ii)
And YES I did wake up on the wrong side this morning. Had to drive over to Buford last night to go do a welfare check up on 70 yrs old who is seeing spirits in his house. This is what happens when some men in their younger years are too opinionated, picky and selective they ended up being alone! I'm not a social work, just his friend. We met some 27 years ago when we worked at the same company.

·
Registered
782 Posts
When you bought the replacement battery was there a protective cover over the terminals? There is always a break away vent plug attached on one of those covers.
yep like said above little plug attached to positive cover aswell a little instruction pamphlet

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
So what is so wrong with the Delco Gold 48AGM that we have to go thru this???

Just like the oil threads.

Just buy what floats your boat and live with it.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That is the HARD way !!!

Charge new battery with AGM charger before or after installing.

Only replace battery with AGM 720 CCA or higher.

Do not cheap out
First off, stop yelling. We are adults.

Second, i tried your way and was faster with mine. Body panel pullers are quick and just have to know where to go. Several ways to skin a cat.
Thanks for providing another way for others to try.

Also, Duralast platinum out performs the factory OEM replacement and got it at a better price as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got my oem on summit racing think it was a tad cheaper on there, i noticed my dash cam was going off at low voltage quite often in parking mode.
15 years in the retail battery business. I would recommend the Deka brand for any of your battery needs. Made in East Penn, Pa. One of the few American made batteries you can buy. Good quality. Most batteries are not U.S. made.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Local Chevy dealer (that didn't ask me Camaro SS?) says most of his Corvette and SS owners are installing the Optima Red Top. It's about $100 more than the AC Delco. What's up that folks would spend that much more for an aftermarket? I'll prolly take a battery to these guys as they'll charge $40 or $50 to install.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Local Chevy dealer (that didn't ask me Camaro SS?) says most of his Corvette and SS owners are installing the Optima Red Top. It's about $100 more than the AC Delco. What's up that folks would spend that much more for an aftermarket? I'll prolly take a battery to these guys as they'll charge $40 or $50 to install.
Optima batteries overpriced. i used to sell them. buy the Deka AGM. made in USA.

·
Registered
11 Posts

If you have a situation where you have lots of power drain with engine off (e.g. Police vehicles, boats), then it's better to have two batteries. (One starting and one deep cycle)

Dual purpose batteries are a middle spec cranking & deep-cycle battery usually. better of with a high cca starting battery fore your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
alwa
Dual purpose batteries are a middle spec cranking & deep-cycle battery usually. better of with a high cca starting battery fore your car.
always buy a higher cca battery than originally came in your car or truck. the higher the cca rating; the more lead in the battery; also equals a more expensive battery. if you don't drive your car on a regular basis; the higher cca will hold up to that abuse better than a lower cca battery. CCA; cold cranking amps is what you need to look at not CA which is cranking amps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
alwa

always buy a higher cca battery if possible than originally came in your car or truck. the higher the cca rating; the more lead in the battery; also equals a more expensive battery. if you don't drive your car on a regular basis; the higher cca will hold up to that abuse better than a lower cca battery. CCA; cold cranking amps is what you need to look at not CA which is cranking amps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I replaced mine with the X2Power battery. There was a 20% off deal at my local Batteries Plus store if you bought it online and picked up at the store. I've also used the Deka battery in my G8, and the Odyssey Extreme (8 years old now with many winch and jump-start uses) in my truck with great success. I was told by my local battery "expert" that the Optima batteries are not nearly as good as they were before Johnson Controls bought the brand. Don't overthink it, just get something good.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Optima batteries are popular because of the marketing wizardry combined with the perception that the high price makes it better.

Price shop the Delco. It's fine.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts