Chevy SS Forum banner

429 w/Kong 2650 LSA Blower Build

119K views 651 replies 65 participants last post by  Fedge378 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy...this isn't a how-to or anything...just charting the progress of my LSA install. I happened upon an LSA blower from a ZL-1 back in October of last year and I couldn't say no. Thanks to the guys here, Eviltwin and SyP come to mind first ;), I decided that this would b a very doable project. I began ordering parts from GM right away based off the list (TX_SS?) in the FI section and the G8 forums over the last few months...I installed things like the pulleys, LS9 cam, intercooler tank and crank pulley since they don't impact normal driving.

Today, the intercooler was installed...My guy is waiting for a few fittings before we drop the blower on...I'm really getting excited. I'll try and sort thru the pics on my phone and post them up...:grin

EDIT

Ok, so some things went wrong and I hurt the motor, so this is an updated list of what’s in the car now

Engine: 417CID with 9.8:1 compression, Manley Turbo Tuff rods, Manley forges pistons and Manley 4” forged crank.
Stock heads with Manley springs, locks , retainers.
Kong LSA 2650 blower & ZL1 lid (reinforced brick -12 fittings) with 3” upper, ATI 8.6” lower on ATI damper.
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body with home made intake, modified Rotofab box.
Cooling it down is a PnP Frostbite Chiller, no front mount IC. Glanzer 2+ gallon tank and ‘13 GT500 IC pump finish off the cooling system.

Transmission: rebuilt 6L80 with ZL1 converter and improved HD clutches. I also modified the valve body with a Sonnax “Zip kit”, which has better valves, springs and 8 check balls instead of 7 for the updated plate. There’s a billet intermediate shaft and improved pistons as well.

Driveline: one piece 3.5” driveshaft (installed), Detroit Locker TruTrac diff and G-Force 1500hp axles - which will be installed soon.

Rolling stock: Weld RT-S 17x4&9.5 drag setup with MT front runners and DRs (305s)
Run the factory wheels and tires for street duty.

So I’ll keep the original info so that some of you can see the evolution, but this gives you a glance at the current state of things [emoji41]

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys...ill try to get pics along the way. I took one of the intercooler yesterday

Looks factory :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·

Tank spot. I made a little bracket, now I need to make something to mount to the fan shroud.

#6 ·

I hope this is from the cam install...sun glare and tiny thumbnail are making it hard to see lol

Reactions: JayJ
#7 ·
Ok yes, that was right before I took the old one out heh heh....

#8 ·
The day I failed at exhaust install...headers and mid pipes? Cake. Mufflers? Notsomuch lol

At least it got done ;)

Grab some more after work...

#10 · (Edited)
LSA Install

The hardest part is dealing with the O2 sensor plugs behind the heads...otherwise, they were a breeze.

#11 · (Edited)
Get that thing on and get to the track!

hint* get some stickY tires.. this blower is a TORQUE monster.

#13 ·
Ha ha, I know...my last two cars were blown too ;)

Actually have NT05s in the garage...they seem to be ok so far - my Mickey's (man did they hook) didn't have the size I wanted, I drive to the track on them, otherwise I'd go your route ;)

Reactions: ThaBeast
#15 ·
Any modding to get the 15s on?

#16 ·
Yes. Race brakes, custom control arms, trailing arms, sway bar links.

#17 ·
That would do it :)

I see 9s in your very near future

#18 ·
Almost done. Gotta fab up air intake though. Roto-Fab won't line up at all.

#21 ·
Sorta made it work for now

#22 ·
Thanks for that info, SyP...kinda figured

#24 ·

Now just need to tune it

#26 ·
lol thats not mine, that's someone else from here. wish it WAS mine

#32 ·
I already had a LSA HX in my garage...nah, radiator place fixed my HX...got everything all buttoned up, now just gotta wait for the tune. I should be up and running by Saturday:)

Reactions: austinb
#34 · (Edited)
LSA Install

Ok, so after 2 weeks of chasing a gremlin, Doug at East Coast Supercharging finally got this sucker strapped down and on his SAE corrected Dynopack netted 555rwhp & 534rwtq at 9lbs of boost...right around what I was expecting with the stock pulleys, ported blower, snout and full exhaust. Next stop, the track!

But it's rained out tomorrow. Dang.

#36 ·
Thank you!

#38 ·
:D

Reactions: ThaBeast