Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
Thanks guys. Naw, it’s not the physical planetary set or anything like that, me thinks it’s drum related, like a crack or something and won’t hold pressure in the 3-5-R clutch set or maybe it’s the pressure switch for the solenoid (hope not just installed new ones lol)...I won’t really know until I tear into this thing. But alas, that’s gonna be a long way off as I am just gonna replace it with a stock unit and lay off the throttle a while.
I think you need to figure out to put an Allison trans in your car...only thing that will take the POWAH you are making...lol

Reactions: Fedge378

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
Installed a Glanzer IC tank. Holds about 1.75 gallons or so, IATs hold a little longer and it doesn’t take long to chill the larger volume of water.
Nice! I have the same tank to install. Could you take a few pics of how you did your mounting brackets and stuff? Anything to be aware of during the install?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
Howdy, let’s seeeee....

I got some flat stock from Home Depot and cut them to around 6 or 7” and bent the tips to meet the header panel (there’s a lip).

Because there’s an angle on the header panel and I didn’t want to bend the mounting tabs on the tank, I bent the stock like so:

Now the bends are not going to be in the same place because the panel isn’t straight across, but you can eyeball it and mark it with a Sharpie. I used my vise and a 3lb baby sledge to persuade the stock to the shape I wanted

After 30 or so test fits, I finally worked up the nerve to drill the panel (bit walked 1/8” on the driver side tab) and used a stainless machine screw and nut (size escapes me. I think they were 1/4” 20 pitch) to tighten the stock down. Once I had them where I wanted them, I positioned the tank tabs over the stock, drilled and same type of screw and nut setup to fasten them down. Once I had the tank all tightened down, I got the header panel cover, notched it with my trusty Dremel and finished off the mounting part of the install.

Since I’m using a chiller and don’t need ice, I capped off the drain fitting, for the -12 next to it, which should feed the pump, you may want a 45* there to clear the fan controller. I have a straight on there and the hose is right against it, so I gotta do something about that. On the other side, the tank supply, I have a 90^ - but then my hose is going from the left across to the right. Lemme explain, lol. Ok so I tried to make both hose exit the blower on the left side, since the chiller supplies the blower from that side, they just weren’t having it. The beauty cover hated it and I dunno if you ever noticed, but my hoses come up through reliefs cut into the cover and exit at 90* on both sides instead of the front like the ZL1, keeping them out of the way. With that being said, I had a gaping hole on the right side of the cover and said screw it, I have 6’ of 3/4” laying around, lemme try something. After laying it out, it made nice turns without kinks, didn’t interfere with anything and approached the tank from underneath like I wanted.

I put water in the tank and checked it for leaks. After I confirmed it was sealed, I swapped out the water for a 70/30 mix and started the pump up.

I hope that helps!
Hi! To clarify your cooling circuit, since I have the exact same setup now... Blower out > Chiller > Tank > Pump > Blower in. Is that right? My PNP chiller will be here tomorrow and I am excited!!

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
thanks LSPowered65 and JayJ! So, if I understand this...

Blower out > Pump > Tank > Chiller > Blower in

@LSPowered65 - what did you insulate your tank with?

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
I was excited too. It’s pretty easy to install, just make sure that the race valve kicks out to the side and isn’t configured to go straight down or it will never fit. Phil fixed it immediately, but we both learned a subtle difference between the G8 and the SS that day lol
he actually put a SS option on the site right after I talked to him about getting one. He did remember the race valve also...so, there shouldn't be any issue there.

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
Thanks @Fedge378

For your race valve switch under your dash, did that come in the kit or is it something you added? I ask because I think Phil's made updates and that switch is now part of liquid valve and just requires a 12v source...not sure tho, no instructions other than YouTube...and you of course...

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
You guys see any issue with running the coolant lines like this:
Blower, pump, tank, chiller, blower

Reason is I now have a tank in place of the crash bar...don't mind the mess...😳

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
wow

seeing the location of your tank, prolly not - as long as the chilled coolant goes to the blower
yep, chiller feeds the blower. Just swapping the pump and tank position...oh yea, how did you run your wires for the race valve?

Any update on your build? I'm dying over here...lol

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
That looks good, a bigger tank will do wonders for you. I was told to stick to 2ish gallons if possible at the minimum for a chiller. That gets you a full 1/4 mile pass if the system isn’t actively chilling.
Yes sir, its right at 2 gallons. I have to run the lines like this now: Blower, pump, tank, chiller, blower...hopefully, no issues to be had.

@Fedge378- sorry to thread jack!

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
@Fedge378 - did you have to do anything special to the AC system when you installed the chiller? I'm having a helluva time getting my IAT's down...trying to figure out if I have air pockets in the system, but, those are hard to see/ find...

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
yea, I didn't think there was much to it. My IAT's are in the low 100's consistently...I don't know what to do to get them down. I really don't think I have air in the system..I've been burping it all day...literally. Also, went and had my AC freon redone, no real change...something about the compressor not cycling had the mechanic concerned...higher low side and low high side...

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
595 Posts
So, took the car to the local dealership. My service advisor has a SS also, treats mine better than most Caddy's on the lot...tech drained the system, and when refilling noticed the system took MORE than advertised. 1.2# is what supposed to go in based on the book and Phil's instructions. Car took 1.3. so, maybe that is the problem...I guess the extra ounce makes a big difference

1 - 20 of 34 Posts