Chevy SS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 594 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
462 Posts
@Fedge378 - did you have to do anything special to the AC system when you installed the chiller? I'm having a helluva time getting my IAT's down...trying to figure out if I have air pockets in the system, but, those are hard to see/ find...

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
@Fedge378 - did you have to do anything special to the AC system when you installed the chiller? I'm having a helluva time getting my IAT's down...trying to figure out if I have air pockets in the system, but, those are hard to see/ find...
Just add a little more R134a to the system. The chiller bolted in right onto the lines, no cutting or anything.

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
462 Posts
yea, I didn't think there was much to it. My IAT's are in the low 100's consistently...I don't know what to do to get them down. I really don't think I have air in the system..I've been burping it all day...literally. Also, went and had my AC freon redone, no real change...something about the compressor not cycling had the mechanic concerned...higher low side and low high side...

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
yea, I didn't think there was much to it. My IAT's are in the low 100's consistently...I don't know what to do to get them down. I really don't think I have air in the system..I've been burping it all day...literally. Also, went and had my AC freon redone, no real change...something about the compressor not cycling had the mechanic concerned...higher low side and low high side...
Funny you mention that. My compressor just stops. It happens on the dyno. Happens driving around. Happens at the track. Pressures are normal - race valve on and off - I have no clue why it’s doing it. I’m truly getting annoyed.

Reactions: a6d9cmro

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
462 Posts
So, took the car to the local dealership. My service advisor has a SS also, treats mine better than most Caddy's on the lot...tech drained the system, and when refilling noticed the system took MORE than advertised. 1.2# is what supposed to go in based on the book and Phil's instructions. Car took 1.3. so, maybe that is the problem...I guess the extra ounce makes a big difference

Reactions: Fedge378

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 ·
So, took the car to the local dealership. My service advisor has a SS also, treats mine better than most Caddy's on the lot...tech drained the system, and when refilling noticed the system took MORE than advertised. 1.2# is what supposed to go in based on the book and Phil's instructions. Car took 1.3. so, maybe that is the problem...I guess the extra ounce makes a big difference
Ok so it wasn’t just me, I had to add an ounce or two as well

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
I guess at some point, i gotta get on the laptop and do some updates to my sig and garage

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I guess at some point, i gotta get on the laptop and do some updates to my sig and garage
If you want to winter test in good weather, you can always come to Florida, and I will save you a spot, down here on the river.... :p

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 ·
If you want to winter test in good weather, you can always come to Florida, and I will save you a spot, down here on the river.... :p
Well I certainly appreciate that

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
So it seems the stock wires weren’t a fan of the headers lol. (That’s a spark going to the header)

Found 3 with breaches in the insulation. Brand new set I got when I got new coils and plugs. Hope the new angled 10mm set helps with that issue

·
Registered
214 Posts
Woof. I have one wire pushing on the hvac box and one just barely touching a wrapped primary. I'm waiting for the same thing to happen.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
Woof. I have one wire pushing on the hvac box and one just barely touching a wrapped primary. I'm waiting for the same thing to happen.
Interestingly enough, I never had this problem - ever. That’s why I stuck with stock wires...

Last time I did aftermarket was my 93 Stang - in 1995 - because the blue Motorsport wires matched my color scheme lol

Reactions: mamisano

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
So I’ve been a busy boy the past week or so.

First, I replaced the stock wires with the 10mm Taylors

Then I got a larger air filter, which meant further hacking up my Roto-Fab box lol

Which brings me to this morning. DSX Auxiliary Fuel Pump. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Plugs up to the MAP with weather right connectors.

There are two ringed wires for positive and ground that attach to the positive stud next to the fuse block

And the ground stud by the ABS module.

The fun begins when it’s time to run the pump wires down through a hole behind the shock tower

Down the fender liner and to the pump.

I don’t have a photo, but I took the liner loose (just turned the wheel to the right), removed the styrofoam insert and pulled the wires to the bottom. From there, I ran mechanic’s wire through a hole in the rear of the flat chassis section that the liner runs in front of and pulled them through, which brings them within a few inches of the pump. The pump is etched with a + and -, so it’s a piece of cake to wire up.

I also don’t have pics of the bracket install. I ran my trusty mechanic’s wire through the passenger side frame rail from the front (there’s a slot after the last hole) to the rear and attached the threaded piece of metal that comes in the kit. I pulled it through until it reached two holes near the front that line up. From there I carefully threaded in the rear bolt with the pump bracket rotated 90* to keep the front bolt hole exposed. I carefully removed the wire from the hole (take your time, you’ll get it), then I turned the bracket, installed the front bolt and tightened both down with some blue Loctite. The pump comes with rubber covered straps which I bolted to the bracket. To make sure the fuel line would clear, I went ahead and attached it to the pump, tying it to the frame rail with wire ties. I’m going to get proper fuel line straps and pop them to the chassis. I removed the fuse for the pump, buttoned up the underhood wiring and controller and started her up.

All good

Hopefully this week, I can get my flex fuel tune and clean up my stalling/hard start issues.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #554 ·
Car is at the tuner. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
462 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
On e? That would be nice

·
Premium Member
17 SBM M6
462 Posts
In for an update...how did the car do?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
In for an update...how did the car do?
Still at the tuner - had to wait for the plugs and wires. There was a Caddy on the rollers when I stopped by last week. I don’t know of the tuner came to work - doubt it. The snow in NJ was enough to make the roads ugly yesterday and his shop is 60ish miles from his house. I’ll hit him up next week.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
So I got it back, need a stronger converter, so tune ain’t finished. Runs on 93 or E, but he couldn’t make full pulls, also didn’t have the timing up on E yet, so there’s much to do.

That’s the update I shoulda posted a couple weeks ago or whenever it was. Lost track.

Anywho, decided to do some logging to chase down a fuel issue, and as you saw in the other thread, it barely got to my job.

I’m beginning to think I just enjoy taking this engine apart.

Done for the day. Tomorrow the heads come off.

541 - 560 of 594 Posts