Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2015 A6 PBM SS from a dealership in January 2020. It had 7400 miles on it. A steering rack recall replacement was done a week before I bought the car. During my test drive, I noticed a hard pull to the right. The salesman noted it and said he would have it aligned. He did and I purchased it without re-driving it(my bad). The car still had the pull and now it was on the left and right. I took it somewhere else to get it aligned and it was no better. Then I put Eibachs on it and aligned it to those specs and the pull was almost completely gone in both directions. But it came back a while later. I tolerated it because it had been to my Chevy dealership EIGHT times to try to correct the problem. They could never find anything wrong. Then, back in January 2021, I start hearing a grinding sound coming from the rack. I took it back AGAIN last week and they agreed to replace a second rack for free. That took a week. I get it back today and it pulls so hard to the right that it will actually turn the car. I almost ran off the road today because of it. To drive the car straight, I have to hold the wheel about 15 degrees to the left to avoid swerving. I contacted the service sales manager and GM Customer service and expressed my concern that I want this escalated. Does anybody have any experience with had problem that has any advice? Like, if they can't fix it, then what do I do? I am a second owner so lemon law doesn't apply. Gonna be tough to sell with that pull. They won't buy it back from me even at wholesale. Already asked. What should I do? I have been fighting with this problem over a year. Any advice is appreciated. If I can't get it fixed, the car is for sale. Up to 23,000 Miles now. Everything else is perfect but this damn steering problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
Not sure where your located,,, but,,,, sounds like at the very least,,, a different dealership ought to be consulted!!!!

ES

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure where your located,,, but,,,, sounds like at the very least,,, a different dealership ought to be consulted!!!!

ES
Yeah I am in the Florida Panhandle. Panama City. I thought about that and the closest one is 2 hours away. I may go that route.... Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,080 Posts
The last step in the alignment is resetting the steering angle sensor once they get everything centered up the wheel straight alignment correct. Search steering angle sensor for a lot more information than I have.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
After my rack was replaced it took 3 tries for the local dealer to get the alignment right, pulled right, then left, etc. Then my fronts starting wearing on the inside due to excessive camber. I ended up having a independent shop align after I got new tires and for last 10K or so it's been perfect. I agree with others, find someone else to do the alignment.

·
Registered
240 Posts
FWIW - now is a great time to give that dealer 2hrs up the road a call - inventory's tight, stores are scrambling to keep staff busy/paid... you might find a completely different & hopefully positive experience.

That said - never allow a dealership to align your car! Its a low-man job, they align to spec because that's all they know - and if the thing pulls hard but aligns to spec, they consider that good - no troubleshooting effort involved, on to the next repair order....

Reactions: SSLogic

·
Super Moderator
7,080 Posts
FWIW - now is a great time to give that dealer 2hrs up the road a call - inventory's tight, stores are scrambling to keep staff busy/paid... you might find a completely different & hopefully positive experience.

That said - never allow a dealership to align your car! Its a low-man job, they align to spec because that's all they know - and if the thing pulls hard but aligns to spec, they consider that good - no troubleshooting effort involved, on to the next repair order....
Also noteworthy is the fact that spec on this car's alignment has in the past included the Camaro SS, the Impala SS, and probably a Malibu SS thrown in somewhere for good measure.

Reactions: good2go and ESindon

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Brad, that really sucks. Like others have said find a new service center, call and speak with a service writer about the issue.
FWIW my rack recall went pretty well so it is possible.

·
Registered
130 Posts
They have to to loosen/drop the subframe to change the rack and it may take some time to get it centered again. It may need the subframe "aligned" to get it right. Most places won't bother adjusting the subframe if it needs it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts