Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Interesting takes here on the C8, I can understand some trepidation in the face of change but frankly I have very little reason to doubt that the C8 is going to be outstanding; the team involved has done a great job on projects to date and GM isn't going to get this wrong with their flagship vehicle, let alone one that has been around for 10 years longer than the 911.

RE price: nothing has been reported outside of rumors, and there are many rumors that peg the starting price at slightly above current Z51 level, compared to a single sensationalist 169k MSRP post over on CF. I have no doubt there will be a range of models and that the upper level will push well into the six figure range just like the current ZR1 does, but I will be absolutely stunned if you won't be able to buy a Corvette for slightly more than current MSRP.

I love the characteristics of my naturally aspirated LS motors but that doesn't mean I'm against a different approach with the hopes of chasing continued improvements in performance. The Corvette team has repeatedly discussed that they have hit the essential limit of what they can do with this current configuration and based on what they accomplished with the ZR1 I don't doubt that for a second. For those who argue that a change of this magnitude flies in the face of tradition, I would respond that the man we should all thank for the fact that we even have a Vette that focuses on performance: Zora Arkus-Duntov, desperately wanted the car to be a mid-engined. It is in fact a huge change, but I prefer to think of the Corvette's tradition as not being wrapped in one single style or approach but rather the idea of the best sports car that this company can produce, however that comes about. Just my $0.02

By the way the most recent Porsche 991 911 Turbo S went from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds in MotorTrend's testing, 2.6 seconds in C&D, and dispensed the 1/4 in 10.7 seconds @ 130 mph. Trust me I'm not a bench racer, but that seems pretty darn quick and I haven't come across any people who've driven the newer P-cars who describe them as laggy.

This is the golden age of performance, I can't wait to see what the C8 brings to push the envelope.
I hear you. I hope that the C8 is Affordable and has a manual option and also has a well-balanced engine that holds a lot of power. But at the end of the day a quad cam setup will be significantly more expensive than a single cam setup so automatically aftermarket parts will cost three to four times as much just based on quantity.
Secondly reporting the performance numbers from a stop in 0 to 60 is someone cheating because it does not report how the car perform when you actually get on the gas while driving the vehicle. Essentially things like 0 to 60 and quarter mile times under Full Throttle are the most optimal conditions for these turbo setups.

Sent from my HTC 10 on Sprint using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Sorry, I meant discounts. Show me the discounts! I would actually consider a C7 if they had a fire sale like the SS and dropped into the mid 40's.
Its hard to have a use for a corvette though unless you are single or retired or both!

They just aren't at all practical!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its hard to have a use for a corvette though unless you are single or retired or both!

They just aren't at all practical!
This is the second time you've mentioned practicality in this thread. Out of curiosity what two door, two-seat, dedicated sports car is practical? I would argue that "sports car" in and of itself tends to throw "practicality" out the window.

Mine is the 3rd car in the garage but we haven't hesitated to take it on long trips and I drive it as often as I can when it's not winter. Not all that long ago I daily drove my '01 Z06 for over a year and found it incredibly easy to live with, it did the mundane stuff just fine. In regards to overall usability and practicality I can't think of a car in the category that has more cargo room or is more livable on a day to day basis, heck it gets better milage than my SS does if you care about that sort of thing. Add in ease of maintenance and overall reliability and you'd be hard pressed to find a more practical sports car that can simultaneously offer the performance the Vette does. The use is easy: it's a blast to drive whether I'm taking it out to run errands or go out on some backroads, eventually I'm hoping track days become a part of that equation as well.

If you're looking for it to be your only car then there are obvious and inherent limiting factors to selecting any car in that category, but as far as a picking a sports car goes there are a lot of subjective arguments you could make to look elsewhere but practicality with the Vette isn't one of em.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
This is the second time you've mentioned practicality in this thread. Out of curiosity what two door, two-seat, dedicated sports car is practical? I would argue that "sports car" in and of itself tends to throw "practicality" out the window.

Mine is the 3rd car in the garage but we haven't hesitated to take it on long trips and I drive it as often as I can when it's not winter. Not all that long ago I daily drove my '01 Z06 for over a year and found it incredibly easy to live with, it did the mundane stuff just fine. In regards to overall usability and practicality I can't think of a car in the category that has more cargo room or is more livable on a day to day basis, heck it gets better milage than my SS does if you care about that sort of thing. Add in ease of maintenance and overall reliability and you'd be hard pressed to find a more practical sports car that can simultaneously offer the performance the Vette does. The use is easy: it's a blast to drive whether I'm taking it out to run errands or go out on some backroads, eventually I'm hoping track days become a part of that equation as well.

If you're looking for it to be your only car then there are obvious and inherent limiting factors to selecting any car in that category, but as far as a picking a sports car goes there are a lot of subjective arguments you could make to look elsewhere but practicality with the Vette isn't one of em.
I don't disagree. But like I said you have to be single or retired.
I have kids and would have nowhere to put them.
I rarely go out alone and putting kids seats in and out of a corvette passenger seat each and every time I go somewhere would be prohibitive.
Atleast in my G35 it does have back seats that fit car seats. So I can take my kids and wife in it if I have to (even though I don't now since I have the SS).
This is why specifically 2 seater sports cars aren't practical.
A corvette doesn't even have a proper trunk to fit groceries.
So for example if I went to the supermarket even alone... I couldn't buy enough food for my family using a corvette.

Therefore I'd really never be able to drive the vette if I did buy one. Even if I do really like the look and performance of a c7.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I don't disagree. But like I said you have to be single or retired.
I have kids and would have nowhere to put them.
I rarely go out alone and putting kids seats in and out of a corvette passenger seat each and every time I go somewhere would be prohibitive.
Atleast in my G35 it does have back seats that fit car seats. So I can take my kids and wife in it if I have to (even though I don't now since I have the SS).
This is why specifically 2 seater sports cars aren't practical.
A corvette doesn't even have a proper trunk to fit groceries.
So for example if I went to the supermarket even alone... I couldn't buy enough food for my family using a corvette.

Therefore I'd really never be able to drive the vette if I did buy one. Even if I do really like the look and performance of a c7.
I can sympathize with the kid situation. I found a work around because I live close to work:

I take the kid to school in the morning, then come home at lunch, eat lunch/switch from SS to the 240z, go back to work and finish the day, wife picks up the kids like usual, I take the long route home.

I'm still kinda looking for a classic coupe with a back seat for the future. But my workaround seems to do the trick for now.

This all requires living close to work.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I can sympathize with the kid situation. I found a work around because I live close to work:

I take the kid to school in the morning, then come home at lunch, eat lunch/switch from SS to the 240z, go back to work and finish the day, wife picks up the kids like usual, I take the long route home.

I'm still kinda looking for a classic coupe with a back seat for the future. But my workaround seems to do the trick for now.

This all requires living close to work.

I work from home and my kids are under 3 years old. My wife is a nurse and she drives the G35 most days now and enjoys it (after originally complaining to me that I bought a "useless sports coupe") and I have the SS which I drive most of the time.
Most of the time I go somewhere its either to go shopping for food (half of the time with my family) or somewhere with my family.
I have a QX80 as our "road trip" vehicle and times that we need more than the 4/5 passengers that the SS will hold.

When my son gets to be of school age.... well the school is across the street so I won't get to drive him there LOL

All in all I'm glad to have the SS as its one **** of a fun family vehicle. Before I had it I mostly drove the QX since the G35 really was impractical for stuffing everyone in especially for short trips.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

I can appreciate that you didn't find a two seat two door sports car to be something that fit for your situation, but saying "corvettes aren't practical" in a discussion about the car is like saying "there are no health benefits to smoking cigars"... you're missing the entire point of the car. You own these cars for the performance, the fact that they can manage to add in as much practicality as they do (like I said, I can't think of another 2-seater that does more) is just a bonus.

But like I said you have to be single or retired.
I'm neither single nor am I remotely close to retired, we have a 7 month old son and a greyhound. If all 3 of us (or 4 of us) are going somewhere we take one of the other cars. I still drive mine all the time because I make an effort to do so.

Sure you could. The Corvette has one of the largest amounts of cargo space available for the class (nearly triple that of your G35 coupe believe it or not; 7.8 cubic feet vs 22.4 cubic feet in the C6, the C7 merely doubles it at 15 cubic feet). The hatch area in these things is huge! I pick up groceries all of the time in mine (usually after making a 5 minute trip a 30 minute trip but I digress), heck I could take the kid and the stroller and still easily fit all the groceries if I wanted to. Random tip: don't put anything frozen in the bin areas of the C5 Z06, it will melt everything by the time you get home as that center one sits right above the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

I can appreciate that you didn't find a two seat two door sports car to be something that fit for your situation, but saying "corvettes aren't practical" in a discussion about the car is like saying "there are no health benefits to smoking cigars"... you're missing the entire point of the car. You own these cars for the performance, the fact that they can manage to add in as much practicality as they do (like I said, I can't think of another 2-seater that does more) is just a bonus.

I'm neither single nor am I remotely close to retired, we have a 7 month old son and a greyhound. If all 3 of us (or 4 of us) are going somewhere we take one of the other cars. I still drive mine all the time because I make an effort to do so.

Sure you could. The Corvette has one of the largest amounts of cargo space available for the class (nearly triple that of your G35 coupe believe it or not; 7.8 cubic feet vs 22.4 cubic feet in the C6, the C7 merely doubles it at 15 cubic feet). The hatch area in these things is huge! I pick up groceries all of the time in mine (usually after making a 5 minute trip a 30 minute trip but I digress), heck I could take the kid and the stroller and still easily fit all the groceries if I wanted to. Random tip: don't put anything frozen in the bin areas of the C5 Z06, it will melt everything by the time you get home as that center one sits right above the exhaust.
15 cubic feet? What In the sam hill? I just compared a c7 to my G35 basically side by side a couple weeks ago and the g35 trunk is bigger than the entire hatch of the c7 (and the hatch allows items to slide into your lap as you drive).
I fill my SS trunk halfway with groceries (fully filled with a stroller).

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
I wonder what will happen to resale values on the C7 now.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Went to a dealer in New Hampshire last week to buy a truck and the sales guy mentioned there the second largest corvette dealer in the country, my wife and son went to the second floor to look and said they had a ton
Looked online and inventory was 290 new and 10 used in stock vetts
Macmulkin
Learn something new every day

·
Registered
97 Posts

Except for the Convertibles then as their cargo capacity compared with the coupes version is roughly halved. The 97-04 C-5 is 13.5 Cu Ft. The C6 05-13 which I owned was a little less due to the fact the C-5's had a drop off where the rear part dropped down below the body instead of riding above it like the C6 at 11 Cu Ft and the C7 has 10 cu ft.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts