Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Also there is the allocation game.

Don't order available allocation(s) now for dealer stock; loose allocation in future.

"Turn and earn".

All of 'em were ordered by dealers for stock.

GM does not build without dealer order.

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Zero day supply of SS sedan... Hope you all got your copy. Corvette has had many model years of "days-of-supply" whatever you want to call it fire sales. Should they languish from non-delivery sold orders they will blow out as always... Corvette is surely a Chevrolet "Halo" car and I am indeed excited to see the next gen come to fruition. Never been a Vette owner, but I AM a techy guy and always excited about the new, so long as a human is piloting said vehicle. Next "Halo" for Chevrolet is Camaro. Totally not for me, but as a performance car, even the small engine A/T car IS quite nimble and VERY capable on the tight autocross tracks (my new hobby when I get a day off). The view/sitting position/blindspots and very limited cargo/passenger area make the car not useful to me, but make no mistake the new Camaro in ANY engine size is a quite capable rocket on the autocross ckts. Saying All of that there is a zero day supply of the car most of us here champion from ANY manufacturer. Closest next best thing will sticker for a minimum of 80k? Funny how many Vettes are actually stamped out compared to our SS even at the close of a production/new model realm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Convert to right hand drive and send to Australia or send to Holden Special Vehicles that remain a trader doing Camaro conversions. With the loss of Commodore V8 production (RHD of your SS) we are in major LS engine platform withdrawal. We mostly likely will have a high tax change of government in May, salary packaging or car related deductions will be one of the few relief left.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I have a C6 Z06, I can get in it and see out just fine- getting out is a whole other story for us retirees. Love the SS
When it was time to replace my Infiniti, was certain next ride would be a two-door sportscar w stick. Could get into a NISMO, couldn't get out. Figured a used Corvette would fit my budget and performance needs. Could get in, couldn't get out.
Then came the SS fire sale. New SS for 38k was a no brainer. Was a little more than 10% above my budget but with the depreciation already sucked out of the price I couldn't afford to not buy the car. 2015 with 25k miles, four model years old and no more than 10% depreciation in value? Plus, the SS is the most fun car I've ever owned, with the extra joy of being able to scare the daylights out of four adult passengers.

That said, I often think I'd still want to own a Corvette, until it came time to egress the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
You poor tall guys, I fit in anything. Now whether I can see over the dash is another issue. :grin The Tahoe is getting a little long in the tooth. Maybe I can score a deal on C7 Z....
c7 just doens't have any actual practical application.
Its part of why I don't own a corvette... My SS is the perfect vehicle for me since I always have someone to take with me if not multiple someones.
Everyone fits in the SS and its still a blast to drive :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
The marginal cost of each unit by the end of a production run is super super low.

I'm not a huge fan of how GM overprices and then over discounts, but i'm more than happy to take advantage (that's how i got my SS). Some of the vettes will go and provide silly earnings per car to the manufacturer, and the rest that they discount and sell (makes me wonder how deep they can go, 35%? does that ever happen?) will still be reasonably profitable.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
This would be a good time to buy a new Corvette.

I am 6 foot tall, and find it cumbersome getting in and out of the car. I know if I bought one, some idiot would post videos of me trying for 15 mins to get out.

Oh well. Maybe an enclosed garage with a special device to help you in and out....

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
There are no deals from GM only what dealers will do 11% dealer cost and some holdback is
all they have to work with. So no great deals GM will need to sweeten pot some for smoking deals
z51vett
Doug

·
Registered
104 Posts
The C7 should continue on for several more model years. The C8 simply has no appeal to me, the spy shots of it just look like an 80s Ferrari, and the exhaust note is depressingly weak. No reason for GM to take a step backwards to OHC other than to copy cat rivals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
The C7 should continue on for several more model years. The C8 simply has no appeal to me, the spy shots of it just look like an 80s Ferrari, and the exhaust note is depressingly weak. No reason for GM to take a step backwards to OHC other than to copy cat rivals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree. The C8 is depressing.
Being auto only and OHC means that its going to be pretty DOA as far as tuning is concerned.
I expect the C7 to dominate for the next years.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I totally agree. The C8 is depressing.
Being auto only and OHC means that its going to be pretty DOA as far as tuning is concerned.
I expect the C7 to dominate for the next years.
Turbos are pretty tune-able.

Also I dont think the manual is completely written off.

MR helps differ it from the FR camaro which it's starting to compete with performance wise.

I'm looking forward to them shaking things up in the MR field, much the way acura did in the 90's with the nsx.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Turbos are pretty tune-able.

Also I dont think the manual is completely written off.

MR helps differ it from the FR camaro which it's starting to compete with performance wise.

I'm looking forward to them shaking things up in the MR field, much the way acura did in the 90's with the nsx.

MR does help differ but historically MR has problems with cooling, especially in turbocharged applications.
Working on MR cars is also prohibitive and time consuming as there is often little space and no way to get to things in the engine compartment.
I had a few friends with MR2's and they ultimately gave up on them due to the MR limitations.
Even today when the NSX has become quite a bit more affordable there are only a few of them in the racing scene due to their limited cooling and prohibitive working and space options.

I did see a cover on Car and Driver talking about how there is no manual C8. If they do decide to change their mind down the road.... they better do alot of marketing to counteract the covers of magazines that enthusiasts like myself have already seen.

The other problem with OHC turbo setups is that the overall power they can make is limited more by boost lag factors. As with any turbo setup, you will trade boost lag for more power.
Unless Chevy has some magical turbo setup (I've seen some images / renders of the CT6-V engine and its not even close to magical) on the C8 with alot of headroom while still having lightning quick spooling times... the car will become laggy and semi-unresponsive just as the porsche's and AMG's have become.

I hope they do make a monstrously fast car that beats most every hypercar on the planet.
Unfortunately at that time I see that the corvette C8 will just become a hypercar itself... being priced out of reality for 90%+ of buyers.
With it being built on a brand new OHC platform... all of the chevy tuning heritage will have gone out the window with this new platform as-well. Meaning that modding will be limited to deep pocketed owners who want to fund shops time + R&D costs to do anything with these cars.
Lastly if the cars do come with a high price tag (rumors are so far that it will be 100k+ starting) then it will fall into the category of Nissan GTR meaning that you will be looking at 200-300k aftermarket built cars which is a far cry from the lineage of chevy enthusiast budget and global support.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
MR does help differ but historically MR has problems with cooling, especially in turbocharged applications.
Working on MR cars is also prohibitive and time consuming as there is often little space and no way to get to things in the engine compartment.
I had a few friends with MR2's and they ultimately gave up on them due to the MR limitations.
Even today when the NSX has become quite a bit more affordable there are only a few of them in the racing scene due to their limited cooling and prohibitive working and space options.

I did see a cover on Car and Driver talking about how there is no manual C8. If they do decide to change their mind down the road.... they better do alot of marketing to counteract the covers of magazines that enthusiasts like myself have already seen.

The other problem with OHC turbo setups is that the overall power they can make is limited more by boost lag factors. As with any turbo setup, you will trade boost lag for more power.
Unless Chevy has some magical turbo setup (I've seen some images / renders of the CT6-V engine and its not even close to magical) on the C8 with alot of headroom while still having lightning quick spooling times... the car will become laggy and semi-unresponsive just as the porsche's and AMG's have become.

I hope they do make a monstrously fast car that beats most every hypercar on the planet.
Unfortunately at that time I see that the corvette C8 will just become a hypercar itself... being priced out of reality for 90%+ of buyers.
With it being built on a brand new OHC platform... all of the chevy tuning heritage will have gone out the window with this new platform as-well. Meaning that modding will be limited to deep pocketed owners who want to fund shops time + R&D costs to do anything with these cars.
Lastly if the cars do come with a high price tag (rumors are so far that it will be 100k+ starting) then it will fall into the category of Nissan GTR meaning that you will be looking at 200-300k aftermarket built cars which is a far cry from the lineage of chevy enthusiast budget and global support.
I think we'll have to wait and see with most of your comments.

But i do think there is a benefit from a sales standpoint to making this car remarkably different than the Camaro. They currently eat each other's sales a bit. I could see many FR die hards just moving from vette on to the camaro as its retro looks and FR platform both speak to the "good old days" crowd.

So from a sales standpoint and for what a halo car is still worth these days...i think they made the right choice.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I am 6 foot tall, and find it cumbersome getting in and out of the car. I know if I bought one, some idiot would post videos of me trying for 15 mins to get out.

Oh well. Maybe an enclosed garage with a special device to help you in and out....
Here's an assist device, but it's not recommended for use within an enclosed garage.
Arrive in style:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting takes here on the C8, I can understand some trepidation in the face of change but frankly I have very little reason to doubt that the C8 is going to be outstanding; the team involved has done a great job on projects to date and GM isn't going to get this wrong with their flagship vehicle, let alone one that has been around for 10 years longer than the 911.

RE price: nothing has been reported outside of rumors, and there are many rumors that peg the starting price at slightly above current Z51 level, compared to a single sensationalist 169k MSRP post over on CF. I have no doubt there will be a range of models and that the upper level will push well into the six figure range just like the current ZR1 does, but I will be absolutely stunned if you won't be able to buy a Corvette for slightly more than current MSRP.

I love the characteristics of my naturally aspirated LS motors but that doesn't mean I'm against a different approach with the hopes of chasing continued improvements in performance. The Corvette team has repeatedly discussed that they have hit the essential limit of what they can do with this current configuration and based on what they accomplished with the ZR1 I don't doubt that for a second. For those who argue that a change of this magnitude flies in the face of tradition, I would respond that the man we should all thank for the fact that we even have a Vette that focuses on performance: Zora Arkus-Duntov, desperately wanted the car to be a mid-engined. It is in fact a huge change, but I prefer to think of the Corvette's tradition as not being wrapped in one single style or approach but rather the idea of the best sports car that this company can produce, however that comes about. Just my $0.02

By the way the most recent Porsche 991 911 Turbo S went from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds in MotorTrend's testing, 2.6 seconds in C&D, and dispensed the 1/4 in 10.7 seconds @ 130 mph. Trust me I'm not a bench racer, but that seems pretty darn quick and I haven't come across any people who've driven the newer P-cars who describe them as laggy.

This is the golden age of performance, I can't wait to see what the C8 brings to push the envelope.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts