Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Saw the pictures yesterday. It looks like they may finally go with a mid-engine layout. I just hope that they're not chasing the high-end cars that will drive the Vette pricing beyond affordability for most of us normal people.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm guessing the base coupe will remain affordable for us peons. Also guessing the Z06/ZR1 variants will have all wheel drive and cost well north of $100K. There really isn't much more power that can be put to the ground with only two tires pulling/pushing the load. With it needing to be faster and better handling than previous iterations, AWD seems a must to me. It will be fun to watch. Already decided that I've owned my last Vette. Did I really say that??? Hope my wife doesn't see this. Gotta keep my options open:wink:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Saw the pictures yesterday. It looks like they may finally go with a mid-engine layout. I just hope that they're not chasing the high-end cars that will drive the Vette pricing beyond affordability for most of us normal people.
right, amazing performance at remarkable "affordability" has always been THE primary trademark of the Corvette. Don't change that just to increase the crossover buffer between it and the Camaro. If GM wants a "semi-exotic halo model for Chevrolet worldwide..." they should build something new.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I'm guessing the base coupe will remain affordable for us peons. Also guessing the Z06/ZR1 variants will have all wheel drive and cost well north of $100K. There really isn't much more power that can be put to the ground with only two tires pulling/pushing the load. With it needing to be faster and better handling than previous iterations, AWD seems a must to me. It will be fun to watch. Already decided that I've owned my last Vette. Did I really say that??? Hope my wife doesn't see this. Gotta keep my options open:wink:
Agreed. It's amazing what they've done with the C7 but it sounds like they're nearing the limit of what they can do with the current set-up. Based on what I've read, it sounds like they could have 2 models - the current front engine set-up and a more expensive mid engine model. I understand that they're chasing the younger demographics but I hope they don't lose sight of their current buyers.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Agreed. It's amazing what they've done with the C7 but it sounds like they're nearing the limit of what they can do with the current set-up. Based on what I've read, it sounds like they could have 2 models - the current front engine set-up and a more expensive mid engine model. I understand that they're chasing the younger demographics but I hope they don't lose sight of their current buyers.
Yeah, when's the last time you saw a young whipper snapper get out of a high dollar Vette? If you do see one, chances are that his daddy is riding shotgun....and is the actual owner of the Vette... I dang sure couldn't afford one in my younger days. Base model, maybe. No way on the top shelf stuff. I could afford it only after a rich old gizzard scrubbed a little value off of it!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I vote AWD high HP/TQ mid-engine Cadillac. If GM is going to sell something north of $125k I'd be willing to bet it won't have a Chevy badge on it.

Disclaimer: I work for GM and have a negative amount of product knowledge through my position. Your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Just saw a roach in the kitchen...no way can justify 100K for a Vette...lol
Still think hardtop C5 rendition is best Y2K+ styled Corvette to date IMHO but I drive a Purple SS so what do I know?

Edit:
Local GA dealership has 3 Vettes on floor. Getting last "2-year Maintenance" Mobil 1 oil change for $37 plus Frontal Airbag and Pretensioner non Deploy module reprogram safety recall that my VIN required. $106K for Z06 2016 Coupe is definitely something someone older than 59.5 can more easily digest...Would rather "invest" $70K-$85K in a late model Cayman GTS or GT4 with that iconic NA flat six!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Just saw a roach in the kitchen...no way can justify 100K for a Vette...lol
Still think hardtop C5 rendition is best Y2K+ styled Corvette to date IMHO but I drive a Purple SS so what do I know?
We'll let you slide as long as you don't go and put lime green and pink stripes on your purple SS

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Wonder if the Corvette name will become a separate brand then. That way a front engine, rear drive layout will be a model and a mid-engine will be true supercharger model.

·
Registered
343 Posts
From what I've read in auto magazines, the spy photos are of a mid-engine prototype that will be a high-end variant of the Corvette but not a replacement for the basic Stingray. Chevrolet has been experimenting and consider a mid-engine car for some time.

·
Premium Member
3,116 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Someone has been reading my posts!

Originally posted here (SS Forums)

Comments on subject at GM Authority were dead after Sept 26 until I posted on Dec 21/22...
GM Trademarks LT5 Engine Name Once Again | GM Authority

This appeared on Dec 23:
The Corvette Will Get a DOHC V8 in 2018 - GM Inside News

Coincidence?
It's sure good to have someone around these parts packing that kind of stroke:cheers:

I hate to say it, but I'm guessing they're going to a twin turbo V6 for the power plant. I believe that's what Ford's GT is sporting nowadays. I wonder if they can make a V6 sound like a V8. Doesn't a DOHC V6 with a couple of turbo's hanging off of it weigh as much as an LT1? Might even take up more room VS an LT variant.

Seems like a big cubic inch LT would be the way to go. 427 cid with VVT and cylinder deactivation. GM could differentiate themselves and one up the GT. Win win. Who would want a V6 when you could have the glorious sound of a big V8? Dam sure not me.

Edit: Ha! Just saw this after posting the above. http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/the-2018-corvette-is-getting-a-dohc-v-8-is-it-for-the-mid-engined-vette/ar-BBxv9cO?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp At least GM's mind is in the right place. Now, if they'll just up the cubic inches 15% or so.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts