Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Has to be a very unusual failure I would think, have not heard of a trans failure with that few miles, and not raced....

Good that it failed while in warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ouch. Very sorry about that. Hopefully I don't start having problems soon (36500 on my 2017)
I've been burning up Chevy trannies since 1980; THM350, 4T60E, 4T65E-HD been through em all.
Usually fail around 60k typically just after a fluid and filter change. Have around 90K on the latest one with Royal Purple trannie fluid installed since new and I vow to never change the fluid!
Just wondering are you the 1st owner?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch. Very sorry about that. Hopefully I don't start having problems soon (36500 on my 2017)
I've been burning up Chevy trannies since 1980; THM350, 4T60E, 4T65E-HD been through em all.
Usually fail around 60k typically just after a fluid and filter change. Have around 90K on the latest one with Royal Purple trannie fluid installed since new and I vow to never change the fluid!
Yes, delivered in August 2017

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, delivered in August 2017
Well that rules out it being beta on by owner 1. I guess a unicorn will have unicorn problems. Thank goodness it was under warranty!
Can you share how much $$ a new/replacement tranny is for these?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
shifter on “F” but car doesn’t move? I guess it won't since there is no "F". Sorry I had to go there :)

·
Super Moderator
8,514 Posts
Either a typo - OR - he meant F for Fun!
I thought it probably ended in ****ed and explained fully the current, now previous situation. :unsure:

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,146 Posts
Well, I've worked at GM dealers since late 2001(with exception 2 years at a Nissan dealer and 6mo at a BMW dealer) and every GM dealers transmission department was was behind. Meaning, they had more work than they could do. In my limited experience, only Nissan transmissions, CVT's specifically, and Ford built Mazda ECAT transmissions('88-'92) were worse. But, I had no SS customers with a failed transmission. I had a lot of FWD 4 and 6 speed trans failures though, from Cadillacs on down.

Oh, and most GM dealers can't repair a manual trans. The only one that I every saw was a young ambitious tranny guy who fixed the trans in my Firehawk, with my assistance and tools, back in 2004. All other times the trans was replaced because noone could fix it.

Reactions: ESindon
1 - 11 of 11 Posts