Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to purchase either the printed copy or the USB, but can’t decide which option is best.
whats everyones thoughts on this who has purchased either of those?
also wondering if the USB version allows you to print pages?
Thanks for any suggestions..

nilfol
2017 HW M6
2017 HW Auto

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
I would have ordered the USB if it was available. The books are troublesome as some work involves
using more than 1 volume at once. If you have a PDF reader that allows word search, you can save
on post it bookmarks.

Reactions: Nilfol

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I have found the security features on the USB to be challenging. I have been using nuance PDF for my default PDF browser and it will not allow me to open it unless I use Adobe. You can't save it directly to your drive.

They're smart in that they don't want to give people the ability to save it and distribute it. It just makes it difficult.

Yes you can print sections from it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I also have the USB version and like the ability to search for words.

I forget so maybe someone else can elaborate…. Does the printed version include some electrical schematics that are not included on the USB?

Edit: ignore the above comment ^. I just flipped through my USB copy and there are wiring schematics throughout. I found an old post for 2015 manuals where some people were getting loose leaf paper versions instead of bound versions and there was a question about schematics being included with those.

·
Registered
2016 Stock - Sunroof, Inflator, Manual Trans and Brake Squeal
103 Posts
I have been a fan of the USB version for the reasons stated above. There are also hyperlinks to jump to subsections, but they are like a page off. I find that I need to have two viewing windows open as jump forward a section may not have the link to jump back.

To my knowledge all the elements are equal between the digital and paper copy. I do have a NAS with USB so that I can open it on my phone.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I have been debating the same thing recently. Even the 2016 that came up not too long ago in the classifieds ( might be available still ), even though I own a 2017, they arent all that much different, but I would prefer my model year.

Currently leaning more towards the USB .. I already have a stack of factory service manuals collecting dust and the last few years my eyesight has been getting to the point where I need reading glasses. 🤓 I dont even buy physical copies of movies or video games anymore. Its more convenient for me personally.

Ideally, I would like to buy both .. Just like the OP has both a HW in auto and manual. 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personally, I find the bound 2014 version to my liking. I'm old school and prefer print media over digital. Haven't had to use them for my car, but it was useful on a buddies rear differential swap using multiple sections. How long before USB is obsolete?

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I've been in the same boat about trying the usb drive. Thing is I have not had luck with a usb lasting as long as a paper manual. Maybe it's just my luck.

·
Registered
2016 PBM Auto
122 Posts
Kinda related but my local library offers free online access to the Chilton service manuals with a library card. Anyone looking may want to see if yours does the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts