Chevy SS Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Answers to the above as they come in... Happy to add to this as more questions are asked and answered. Would like this to be a one-stop shop for warranty Q&A.

1) Mag ride
GMPP: Reportedly covers the front struts, but not the rear shocks. Also covers the internal electronics that control it. Website says "ride control suspensions", but no lower level detail.
GMEPP: Confirmed with phone call, Platinum plan covers all of it.
Principal Warranty Corp (Tonkin): Covers all except the rear shocks. Front struts, switches, control modules, are all explicitly covered and not listed in the exclusions.

2) MyLink unit
GMPP: not listed under exclusions, presumed covered
GMEPP: Confirmed by calling provider, covered. Since it includes the nav and MyLink functions, this is not subject to the $3000 limit, that is for radios and disc players only.
Principal Warranty Corp: MyLink is a factory installed unit, is explicitly covered.

3) Instrument cluster
GMPP: Explicitly included in Major Guard
GMEPP: Confirmed by calling provider, covered.
Principal: Explicitly covered, and not listed in the exclusions.

4) HUD
GMPP: Explicitely included in Major Guard
GMEPP: Confirmed by calling provider, covered. This is instrumentation, not "audio/visual".
Principal: Covered, not listed in exclusions

5) Sunroof
GMPP: "Power sunroof" covered in Major Guard, "glass" is excluded
GMEPP: unknown, but not on the exclusion list (Forgot to ask while I had them on the phone)
Principal: Switches and actuators covered, the mechanical track and the glass are not

6) Key fob
GMPP: Covered? (Unconfirmed)
GMEPP: Excluded
Principal: Covered explicitly

7) OnStar system
GMPP: Explicitly listed under MajorGuard
GMEPP: Confirmed by calling provider, covered. All such factory-installed hardware and options are covered.
Principal: Excluded ("satellite, microwave, or cellular data systems" excluded)

8) 4G LTE WiFi system
GMPP: Not listed under exclusions, presumed covered, subject to confirmation
GMEPP: Clnfirmed by calling provider, covered. The exclusion list is for add-on stuff. The permanent factory-installed systems and options are covered. This is a new thing they weren't up to speed on when writing the plan at first.
Principal: Excluded ("satellite, microwave, or cellular data systems" excluded)

Note on the GMEPP: the "transmitting and receiving devices" exclusion is really aimed at portable things like the key fob, remotes, etc. Does not apply to receivers built in to the car itself, or the WiFi transmitter for the hotspot functionality. I spoke with a claims adjuster at AMT directly.

Update 3/21: This is still a work in progress, filling in unknowns as information is dug up or trickles in.
The receivers for the remotes which is part of the car is not covered under GMEPP. I was denied coverage and spoke with AMT.

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
The receivers for the remotes which is part of the car is not covered under GMEPP. I was denied coverage and spoke with AMT.
I would in conjunction with the dealer argue this. Escalate and get GM district manager involved if necessary. The receiver is also part of the TPM system.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
In my Platinum GMEPP contract, it states under the Enhanced Electrical section 8:

(Does Not Include Transmitters and Receivers for Remote Locks)

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
In my Platinum GMEPP contract, it states under the Enhanced Electrical section 8:

(Does Not Include Transmitters and Receivers for Remote Locks)
That is listed under Silver Coverage.

PLATINUM COVERAGE
We will pay or reimburse You for approved costs, in excess of any Deductible, to repair or replace any Breakdown of all parts listed in Silver Coverage and any other parts, except for those items listed in the Exclusions section of this Contract.

EXCLUSIONS
This Vehicle Service Contract provides no Coverage or Benefits in case of the following: For any of the following parts: carburetor, battery and battery cable/harness (unless listed as specific covered parts), standard transmission clutch assembly, friction clutch disc and pressure plate, distributor cap and rotor, glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, fuses, circuit breakers, cellular phones, game centers, AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding $3000 repair or replacement cost, speakers, audio/ video equipment, any pixel damage on display screens, electronic transmitting/receiving devices, remote control consoles, radar detection devices, brake rotors and drums, all exhaust components, and the following emission components: EGR purge valve/solenoids/sensors, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, catalytic converter/filtering/sensors, emission vapor sensors, gas cap/filler neck, weather strips, trim, moldings, bright metal chrome, upholstery and carpet, paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels, frame and structural body parts, vinyl and convertible tops, any convertible top assemblies, hardware or linkages, tires, wheels/rims. External nuts, bolts and fasteners are not covered except where required in conjunction with a covered repair.

Debatable in my book. This could be construed as also excluding the Onstar system and TPM system which IS covered.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok, I'm about to buy an extended warranty. I had always bought GMPP in the past (before GMEPP existed). I asked a couple friends that work in service at a GM dealer. GMEPP is Ally and is basically like all other aftermarket warranties and similar to deal with as far as convenience and such. It's not like GMPP used to be despite ally claims. CPP (Chevrolet Protection Plan) is essentially what GMPP used to be. Their understanding is that neither cover Mag Ride components, but they did admit they haven't had to attempt a claim on those in a while so that could be changed. They said Mastertech does cover Mag Ride parts and is the only warranty they are aware of that does. It is just another aftermarket warranty though.

In looking at pricing CPP appears to be considerably more expensive than GMEPP. I haven't been able to get a quote on a Mastertech warranty. At this point I would go with CPP if pricing were similar, but the large price difference has me hesitant. Has anyone purchased a CPP or Mastertech warranty?

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
... you got your acronyms all confused.

GMPP = Ally = no magride

GMEPP (Chevrolet protection plan) = GM = mag ride covered

Aftermarket = bad news.

Where I got my GMEPPs:

Knapp sells GMEPP

Knapp's sister store Greg Bell sells GMPP.

Where I got my GMPPs.

The above segregation is legit and for back end money which keeps their prices the lowest or second lowest in the country.

Alan is almost always the cheapest and a good guy but the above matched his price and saved me 6% sales tax:

Reactions: Ayrick and good2go

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would in conjunction with the dealer argue this. Escalate and get GM district manager involved if necessary. The receiver is also part of the TPM system.
I did contact GM and they advised me to contact the dealer to represent my denied claim. Dealer was able to get GM to cover half the cost which is $166.00. While I am not happy the warranty did not cover this issue I am happy to get half my money back. BTW I was told it would take 3 weeks for the check and it's been about that long so who knows if I will ever see it.

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
I did contact GM and they advised me to contact the dealer to represent my denied claim. Dealer was able to get GM to cover half the cost which is $166.00. While I am not happy the warranty did not cover this issue I am happy to get half my money back. BTW I was told it would take 3 weeks for the check and it's been about that long so who knows if I will ever see it.
Is the check coming from The warranty or the dealer.

If the dealer the warranty credits his account and then it is up to the dealer to reimburse you. If this is the case keep on top of the dealer ... hint hint.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the check coming from The warranty or the dealer.

If the dealer the warranty credits his account and then it is up to the dealer to reimburse you. If this is the case keep on top of the dealer ... hint hint.
It is coming from the dealer and they explained that they would have to wait for them to get the money then send me the check. I have a really good relationship with the dealer/service tech so not to worried. Thanks for the hint!

·
Registered
232 Posts
... you got your acronyms all confused.

GMPP = Ally = no magride

GMEPP (Chevrolet protection plan) = GM = mag ride covered

Aftermarket = bad news.

Where I got my GMEPPs:

Knapp sells GMEPP

Knapp's sister store Greg Bell sells GMPP.

Where I got my GMPPs.

The above segregation is legit and for back end money which keeps their prices the lowest or second lowest in the country.

Alan is almost always the cheapest and a good guy but the above matched his price and saved me 6% sales tax:

Do you have contact info for Alan or is he the only guy you talk to when you contact them?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Picked up GMEPPs for the wife's Tahoe for an additional 24mo and the SS for 60m/60k today as the SS is due to expire this Friday. Adam @ Knapp was great and was able to give me a small discount off the web price.

Thanks to all of those who posted details, experiences, links, etc made making this decision much easier!

Reactions: CB750
161 - 175 of 175 Posts