Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New for 2016.

I have spent many hours reading on here, on the Corvette forums, even the Volt forums with regard to the GMPP and GMEPP. Would like to create one place for current information for 2016 and later.

It has been difficult to ascertain whether the Ally GMPP can still be purchased for 2016. It would appear so, but I have no confirmation.

The GMEPP is available, and word in the Corvette forums is that many dealers are shifting to that with the impending loss of Ally having the GMPP name and access to the vehicle history database.

My dealer is offering a third-party plan, I am told it's either owned by or run by or at least heavily influenced by the Tonkin family. I don't trust most dealers/owners farther than I can throw them, but I know Brad and Ed Tonkin from years in the Ducati world. I have had zero reason to doubt them. These guys are enthusiasts who make a living selling vehicles, not businessmen who just happen to sell cars.

Concerns that I think SS buyers would like to see addressed:

1) Which plans cover the Mag ride shocks, struts, and control systems?
2) Which plans cover the MyLink display unit?
3) Which plans cover the instrument cluster?
4) Which plans cover the HUD?
5) Which plans cover the sunroof mechanism/switches?
6) Which plans cover the key fob and keyless entry system?
7) OnStar system coverage
8) 4G LTE WiFi system coverage

(Post up additional questions/concerns and I will be happy to add them to this list... Answers start in next post)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Answers to the above as they come in... Happy to add to this as more questions are asked and answered. Would like this to be a one-stop shop for warranty Q&A.

1) Mag ride
GMPP: Reportedly covers the front struts, but not the rear shocks. Also covers the internal electronics that control it. Website says "ride control suspensions", but no lower level detail.
GMEPP: Confirmed with phone call, Platinum plan covers all of it.
Principal Warranty Corp (Tonkin): Covers all except the rear shocks. Front struts, switches, control modules, are all explicitly covered and not listed in the exclusions.

2) MyLink unit
GMPP: not listed under exclusions, presumed covered
GMEPP: Confirmed by calling provider, covered. Since it includes the nav and MyLink functions, this is *not* subject to the $3000 limit, that is for *radios and disc players* only.
Principal Warranty Corp: MyLink is a factory installed unit, is explicitly covered.

3) Instrument cluster
GMPP: Explicitly included in Major Guard
GMEPP: Confirmed by calling provider, covered.
Principal: Explicitly covered, and not listed in the exclusions.

4) HUD
GMPP: Explicitely included in Major Guard
GMEPP: Confirmed by calling provider, covered. This is instrumentation, not "audio/visual".
Principal: Covered, not listed in exclusions

5) Sunroof
GMPP: "Power sunroof" covered in Major Guard, "glass" is excluded
GMEPP: unknown, but not on the exclusion list (Forgot to ask while I had them on the phone)
Principal: Switches and actuators covered, the mechanical track and the glass are not

6) Key fob
GMPP: Covered? (Unconfirmed)
GMEPP: Excluded
Principal: Covered explicitly

7) OnStar system
GMPP: Explicitly listed under MajorGuard
GMEPP: Confirmed by calling provider, covered. All such factory-installed hardware and options are covered.
Principal: Excluded ("satellite, microwave, or cellular data systems" excluded)

8) 4G LTE WiFi system
GMPP: Not listed under exclusions, presumed covered, subject to confirmation
GMEPP: Clnfirmed by calling provider, covered. The exclusion list is for add-on stuff. The permanent factory-installed systems and options are covered. This is a new thing they weren't up to speed on when writing the plan at first.
Principal: Excluded ("satellite, microwave, or cellular data systems" excluded)

Note on the GMEPP: the "transmitting and receiving devices" exclusion is really aimed at portable things like the key fob, remotes, etc. Does not apply to receivers built in to the car itself, or the WiFi transmitter for the hotspot functionality. I spoke with a claims adjuster at AMT directly.

Update 3/21: This is still a work in progress, filling in unknowns as information is dug up or trickles in.

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
editGMPP plans cover most everything if you purchase the vehicle new....the catch is what your deduct will be...On GMPP plans, I have seen zero to 200 dollar deducts... Third party plans are sometimes good/bad. Generally speaking, the 3rd party plans are a mixed bag and more in your favor if you buy the vehicle new. The 3rd party plans, if you really drill down the fine print will tell you exactly what parts are covered by policy. If you are lucky, they will tell you parts that are excluded. That said I am a service mgr at a small store in OK. I will also say that 3rd party "contracts" usually involve an inspector coming to inspect your failed parts... I recently had a 3rd party inspector deny a failed turbocharger claim on a Duramax truck that had a stuck unison ring causing an underboost code... The reason the claim was denied was the "excessive presence of carbon"...Really?? Show me a diesel turbo that has no carbon and I will show you a Chevy Vega with no rust... Techs do not favor GMPP policies as the pay flat warranty rates for repairs, but as a consumer, I would opt for the GMPP policy every time

Reactions: KenzSS

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
GMPP policy does not cover trim items as does no other policies out there, regardless of a salesman telling you "bumper to bumper" nonsense

·
Registered
182 Posts
GMPP/ GMEPP should follow you wherever you go. GM dealers across the country will accept it. You may not plan to move but life throws curve balls.

Third party warranties can be a pain to process. Like pointed out above the added inspector in some cases. They may also not be accepted everywhere or only at a small number of dealers.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have put the original post in quotes below for reference, but things change as information comes in. The GMEPP covers major electronics that initially appeared to be excluded. That, combined with Mag Ride coverage, and GM factory support at any dealer across the country, and being built in to the system, makes it look a *lot* better.

Right now, the information I have is looking like GMPP/Ally and the Principal/Tonkin warranty are roughly equivalent. GMEPP is looking like not such a great deal, what with that audio/visual screens exclusion. That cuts out some of the major expensive failure risks that concern me on this car.

Between the GMPP and Principal, largely different terms. Major guard is tailorable up to 84 month (7 years) 84k miles if memory serves (subject to correction). The Principal warranty being offered is 10yr, 75k miles (it's tailored for vehicles that are not 7-day-per-week drivers). I like 10 years, especially since they specifically INCLUDE the major screens and electronic doodads I am worried about. I trust the engine to be stone cold reliable in 10 years. The keyless entry? That worries me. To be fair, I am not hearing a bunch of 2006 C6 owners talking about failed keyless systems. Those are now 10 years old. It'll all fail eventually, but if it has a better than 10-year service life with decent reliability, that ain't bad at all.

I do not yet have any competitive quotes for GMPP. According to Ken Fitchner, WA state requires that it be sold in-state, so I can't buy GMPP from him, only GMEPP.

Principal Warranty retail was over $3000, they knocked it down to $2500 initially, then when I hemmed and hawed more they said the bottom line they could sell it for was $2273.

Catch: I have to buy the Principal warranty from new, or so I am told. Obviously, GMPP or GMEPP can be bought later. GMEPP price, reportedly, rises steeply as vehicle ages. GMPP/Ally is supposedly pretty stable up to the 12 month 12k mile limit for "new" vehicle status.

Somewhat concerned about getting service under the GMPP as time goes on and it gets further divorced from GM. Principal, I'd have the same concerns elsewhere in the country, but at my local dealership there is zero concern due to the affiliation.

Still undecided, though GMEPP is looking like a "nope".

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMPP policy does not cover trim items as does no other policies out there, regardless of a salesman telling you "bumper to bumper" nonsense
Yep, anyone considering these needs to know this. Presume they do already if they're smart enough to check first.

None of the plans cover the trim, brightwork, etc.

I concur, "bumper to bumper" is nonsense, since the bumper itself is bodywork that is not covered. Neither is any of the sheet metal.

Reactions: prabal34

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
FYI, Washington State residents: Apparently we are not allowed to buy the GMPP/Ally plan across state lines. Ken has posted repeatedly in the Corvette forum that he cannot sell GMPP to select states and WA is one of them. On the Volt forum, another WA state resident ran in to the same problem. He wound up buying his GMPP from Bud Clary Chevrolet in Longview. I will contact them (and a few others) for quotes.

If any restricted state residents want to share where they got the best deal on GMPP, I and others members living in those states would much appreciate it!

Restricted states, per Vaden Chevrolet's GMPP sales website:
Some State restrictions apply to plans sold in Alaska, California, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Oregon and Washington, as they may be prohibited for sale.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If anyone is following, I am going to hold off on this for the rest of the afternoon. I've beaten T's and C's to death.

I am going to call around dealerships in WA state for pricing on Ally GMPP tomorrow. Will let y'all know what I find.

Final decision pending pricing and answers to open questions about coverage.

Reactions: willy92 and KenzSS

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Updates, back at it this morning.

Got quote on GMEPP from Denny Menholt Chevrolet in Montana (first ones to get back to me). $1850 if I buy before month end, then it goes up to $2050. That's for 84 month 75k mile, $100 deductible. $0 deductible raises the price by $300. So would I bet on using this three or more times?

Also found out in the documentation that came with the quote, GMEPP specifically *excludes* the key fob.

(Edited based on new info on GMEPP coverages)

·
Registered
860 Posts
If I could have bought the car without a warranty I would have - different strokes for different folks I suppose

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
After doing much research as well I went with GMEPP thru Menholt Chevy... GMPP (Ally) is peeling away from GM and thus so will the coverage... a no-brainer for me

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Called the GMEPP people. First rep wasn't sure, so she sent me over and I spoke with a claims adjuster directly. Updated the list on the first page.

MyLink, HUD, instrument cluster, OnStar, and the WiFi are *covered*.

GMEPP still does not cover the key fob.

They are, however, the only ones who cover *all* of the MagRide.

I got one decent quote on the GMEPP, I still need to shop around, but that change in the apparent coverage really shifts things. Stack that on top of the peace of mind having the GM official plan accepted by all dealerships, and the GMEPP Platinum coverage is looking like the best option for me.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After doing much research as well I went with GMEPP thru Menholt Chevy... GMPP (Ally) is peeling away from GM and thus so will the coverage... a no-brainer for me
That's who got me the first quote. I am going to check the Cadillac dealer in PA that is also known for good quotes, and I will check my local dealer just for grins. I'll let them know what they're up against... See if the pricing comes down accordingly. :wink

Before anyone gets huffy about wrangling dealers for every last penny, I am *not* expecting anyone to take a loss. But I am not paying a 100% markup, either. A $100-$200 profit is entirely reasonable.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That's who got me the first quote. I am going to check the Cadillac dealer in PA that is also known for good quotes, and I will check my local dealer just for grins. I'll let them know what they're up against... See if the pricing comes down accordingly. :wink

Before anyone gets huffy about wrangling dealers for every last penny, I am *not* expecting anyone to take a loss. But I am not paying a 100% markup, either. A $100-$200 profit is entirely reasonable.
Also spoke with Jim Black Caddi in PA for comps - Menholt had best cost for most coverage IMHO, good luck and let us know how you made out

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a couple very reasonable quotes in hand for the GMEPP. Going to see if my dealer can compete. Will let y'all know what shakes out.

Between the WA state restrictions on the Ally GMPP and the higher prices for it, I have settled on the 84 month, 75000-mile GMEPP. There is a 100000-mile option, but I won't be putting that many miles on it in 7 years. I work from home 1 day per week, have the Silverado for foul weather and will still need driven once every other week in summer, and at some point I will get back on the motorcycle. 75000 miles over 7 years is over 10,000 per year, and I'm not gonna break that.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I looked into this awhile back and decided to postpone buying GMPP until just before the 12 month/12,000 mile period. That seemed to yield the best trade off in price and extended warranty coverage. Now I question that plan based on this discussion. Is there a difference in the GMEPP price between new and 11 months later?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealer doesn't even have the login/system to quote or buy the GMEPP. I tried the official title "Chevrolet Extended Protection Plan"... no dice. She called the general mgr of the (much bigger) Portland Chevy store, he didn't know about it.

I will call two other dealers tomorrow, both local(ish). If you buy a GMEPP with the $100 deductible, it has a feature called "disappearing deductible". If you get the work done at the dealer where you bought the warranty, no deductible.

If all else fails, I have a quote in hand for $1750, which is entirely reasonable. The level of coverage, for this car, with all the doodads? Yep.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked into this awhile back and decided to postpone buying GMPP until just before the 12 month/12,000 mile period. That seemed to yield the best trade off in price and extended warranty coverage. Now I question that plan based on this discussion. Is there a difference in the GMEPP price between new and 11 months later?
Yes. There isn't a published table, it's quoted on your VIN and mileage. But the rates rise as you rack up miles. GMEPP is more advantageous to buy right up front. You can still buy it up to 3 yrs 36k miles in, but the price will be higher for shorter coverage.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have a look at GMPP Genuine GM extended service contracts for General Motors vehicles They will send you pricing quotes for a wide range of GM Major Guard warranty options within seconds. I did not opt for the extended warranty to this date however maybe I should have as i see the price for the 84/84000 mile warranty increased by $700 with my vehicle being over 12 months old. Food for thought!

1 - 20 of 175 Posts